How many miles after a tyre plug?

A sharp self tapping screw punctured my rear tyre about 2 weeks ago. The tyre had only been on the bike a month and had covered 1034 miles! Did a successful repair with a Stop N Go plug and rode it to Steve at F&B for a permanent repair.

Unfortunately the hole was too near the side wall and he recommended a new tyre.

I'm going on tour in early June and wouldn't have felt confident with a 'temporary repair' so I bit the bullet.

It might be psychological but in my book it's not worth the risk.

Mike

A common mistake with inserting sticky strings, is to twist the insertion tool instead of pulling it straight out. Also, I cleaned up sharp casting edges from the tool with a little file.

A common mistake with inserting sticky strings, is to twist the insertion tool instead of pulling it straight out. Also, I cleaned up sharp casting edges from the tool with a little file.

Chazzy, I thought the twist was to open up the eye of the plugger tool? 1/4 turn.

Crafty Plugger (sticky strings) very clearly state that the insertion tool must be turned 1.5 times before pulling out.

I have used stickies several times all successfully, last was on another riders bikes that had been gashed by a sharp flint/stone. Took 3 strings but my repair held

To twist or not: now you have me wondering...

Damned sure the instructions which came with my ebay-sourced kit said don't twist, just pull straight out. Hmm..

Yes, I've found the instructions for my kit (Amazon) and they state do not twist, just pull straight out.

I’ve completed numerous repairs with sticky strings on cars. Always pulled straight out with total success. Only issue is reamering the hole initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steptoe shoved a triple plug into his tyre and ran it to extinction. He doesn't have a 1200 / 1250.

Run it for as long as YOU (not some other bod) feels is safe.

To twist or not: now you have me wondering...

Damned sure the instructions which came with my ebay-sourced kit said don't twist, just pull straight out. Hmm..

Yes, I've found the instructions for my kit (Amazon) and they state do not twist, just pull straight out.

Just follow the instructions, as some strings (and their instructions) differ from others.

Just follow the instructions, as some strings (and their instructions) differ from others.

Alright for you to say - it’s in Chinese. I’m off to my local take away for a sweet & sour and a bizarre conversation of ‘twist and pull’. Last time I did that I was in Bangkok :D

You have a £17k Motorcycle with your potentially priceless life on board - you may even have somebody else's life as well...... your tyre is say £180........

You repair it roadside with a £1.99 piece of Ting Tong Sticky shit string........

Then ask, " Will it be ok?"

Answer........ Get a new tyre.......

Because on the one occasion when it farts out, two up fully loaded on the M6....... you will sure as shit wished you'd have spent that £180.....

Because on the one occasion when it farts out, two up fully loaded on the M6....... you will sure as shit wished you'd have spent that £180.....

Have you ever looked at the inside of a tyre with a sticky string inserted? There's no way it will fart out.

Used lots and never had a leaking string - unlike Stop n Go...

You have a £17k Motorcycle with your potentially priceless life on board - you may even have somebody else's life as well...... your tyre is say £180........

You repair it roadside with a £1.99 piece of Ting Tong Sticky shit string........

Then ask, " Will it be ok?"

Answer........ Get a new tyre.......

............is the right answer, why wouldn't you? :thumb

I had a plug done by the RAC, got me home but then the tyre just went all egg shaped. That was 30 miles at motorway speeds. New tyre bought.

Because you can a good repair for 10th the price? Or do you mean wait at the roadside for someone to deliver and fit a new tyre?

Fix at roadside to get you home, then, before next trip replace tyre for peace of mind and safety

Push, twist and pull or push and pull....

As luck would have it the clear instructions on the correct methods to use the four most popular roadside repair agents are on the internet. There are even officially endorsed videos (as opposed to fat Bob in his shreddies, sweating in his garage) for those for whom reading is something they gave up in school.

f3e64e1cbe1488d34610b968d033e907.jpg

002b44040d6ce5e9b7bdba230d308545.jpg

e1476bc4f68538d7132822f3537bc121.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xdELqtiFc6U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

f12dfd10f1026314ac9b87a584cc69e7.jpg

a7a7a89250a5e1327b99c029cfe948ea.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TP1ya0otFzk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

96fe04ed9bceee091ad8e100685679a4.jpg

8bb92fa36f4029fa96a33494bc7747f8.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vCVNRtmxHEs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ec9f442c1d8748a529e5559421b58c6a.jpg

I wonder if the Crafty Plugger is marketed by the same bloke who sells puncture prevention shit to put into your tyres and still insists BMW bike TPMS systems work by measuring the difference in rotational speeds. Bike clubs are still being taken in by his snake oil. A mate bought some at an IAM event, used it, and one of his pressure-based TPMS sensors immediately packed up. Seller insisted that they work by using ABS sensors to measure differences in rotational speed. A know-nothing-cnut!

I wonder if the Crafty Plugger is marketed by the same bloke who sells puncture prevention shit to put into your tyres and still insists BMW bike TPMS systems work by measuring the difference in rotational speeds. Bike clubs are still being taken in by his snake oil. A mate bought some at an IAM event, used it, and one of his pressure-based TPMS sensors immediately packed up. Seller insisted that they work by using ABS sensors to measure differences in rotational speed. A know-nothing-cnut!

Wonder no more.

Contact him and ask:

3e2796f93ebf2efddb78b84a5bf24b5a.jpg

If that is, you can be arsed.

Failing that, your IAM mate should be traumatised enough to remember the bod he bought the gloop off, your super sleuth detective skills will do the rest.

Back
Top Bottom