New Zealand trip ideas

Billy Buell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Me and my wife are planning to do a bike trip next time we go to New Zealand. We have been and toured in a car but spent all our time wishing we were on a bike. We have done both islands but would like to stick to the south island for the trip. We have a rough idea of areas we would like to include but always interesting to know where others have been.
I'm just wanting advice ideas and recommendations from anyone who has done it , as in , is it better to do an organised trip or just hire bikes. We have toured europe many times in the past but always on our own so it would be interesting to hear peoples experiences of organised trips. We are thinking maybe February 2021 so a bit of time yet but the planning needs to be started so we have something to look forward to.

Skippers Canyon, Arrowtown and Invercargill (Motorcycle Mecca and the Truck Museum). Marvellous !! Shipped my bike and stayed for six months. Whale watching as well.

I would love to ship my bike but will only be there for 2 weeks. MarkShelley we go to Aus most years and find it much cheaper to fly if you book as soon as the flights are released which is 11 months in advance.
I will look into everything people suggest.
Oh ye we did whale watching at Kaikoura , fantastic.:thumb

You´ll know most of the places already as you would have seen them in the tourist books. I´d just roughly follow the coastline with a trip into Queenstown and Wanaka. Don´t forget Invercargill to visit the Worlds Fastest Indian, it´s not just a hardware store it´s a mini museum. If you get the timing right, try and get some rugby in at the Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin. I think there was a place in Christchurch hiring XT660r´s if you want to rent local.

Try the distillery at Cardrona. Great family firm. Still 6 years away from their first whisky. We saw them fill barrel number 4!
Milford sound is a must. There are few places to stay overnight, we used one of the overnight boat trips which was fabulous. Apparently, we missed out because it wasn't raining :blast. I am not sure whether to wish that on you or not:D
FWIW we used Te Waipounamu . couldn't fault the service or bikes.
We bought a cheap tent whilst we re out there and camped by the sea a couple of nights. They were both magical.

I am sure you will have blast.

Contact Disaster Zone, I think he is out that way :thumby:

Still in Oz continuing our Campervan based trip around the Antipodes after 4 weeks in South Island NZ. Our son has been there nearly a year so we had loads of good tips.

The peninsular to the East of Christchurch was worth the run out there. Take the summit road to Akaroa.

As mentioned already Milford Sound is well worth it. We stayed at “Gunn’s Camp” about 40k from Milford down a good dirt road for about 10k. ) turn off before the tunnel. Bit of a museum there and a good kitchen and sitting area to escape the weather and bugs. Apart from Milford Sound we were a bit underwhelmed by the west coast. Maybe it was the weather (wet) or the inaccessibility (one road and more places selling flights of one sort or another to view the summits and glaciers than you could imagine could exist) or the sandflies but I wouldn’t bother again. The rainforest was great as were some of the views along the coast and the beaches but tbh the best bit was the night we spent in the Old Empire Hotel bar in Ross.

Next best bit was area around Abel Tasman National Park in the north or South Island. Very very beautiful area with great beaches and a good cool vibe. Loads of places to stay and some great towns. Make sure you try the coffee and smoked food at Mapua.

Green lipped mussels were great in Havelock. Also enjoyed mooching about Oamaru. In fact there was loads of good stuff most which we just happened upon.

We used the CamperMate app to find campsites and loads more. Lots of campsites do basic cabins so no need to take a tent but Feb is still high)ish) season so booking may be advisable. We were there mid March iuntil a week ago and didn’t book anywhere, but we were only after a basic camp pitch.

Gaspy App is good for finding cheap fuel.

You will know about Sandflies if you have been before. Annoying biting bastards that leave an wheal that itches for weeks. Waaay worse out west. Smidge works well to keep them away or any of a number of local concoctions.

New Zealand beer is great if you like hoppy stuff albeit on the expensive side. Don’t do wine much but what we did try was all rather good. Apples and cider were amazing.

Have a great trip

Contact OnHellas on here - he’s done a long mc tour recently, in fact he may still be there.

If you use the campsite basic chalets take your own silk sleeping bag liners and you won’t have to pay the extra for sheets

Many years ago we signed up for a Top Ten campsite chain membership. This gave a decent discount and they handled all queries and bookings for onward travel in their chain

If you find yourself on the eastern side of the Southern Alps stop by Obrerama and get youselves a powered or glider flight - wonderful scenery

The same can be done (powered) from Wanaka airfield. They operate a BN Trilander whose three engines are very comforting when threading through the mountains!

Thanks for all this info. I will look at all the recommendations and try and devise a plan. We have loads of time but as we all know it soon goes.
Milford sound is the one place we wanted to go on the last visit but we spent too much time in Queenstown and ran out of time.

Well as you're not going until 2021 I'll chip in. The ride out to Milford sound is entertaining, but stay in Te Anau and get up early enough to stay ahead of the tour busses heading out that way.

In Queenstown try putting your bike on the Earnslaw and riding from the sheep station to the Mavora Lakes along the Von Road. Then, if you're feeling up to it do the Nevis. It's tricky in parts but is absolutely epic.

Make sure you do the Rainbow Road, that's a mighty fine ride.

Unfortunately you can't do Skipper's Canyon on a rental, shame as it's great fun.

In the Marlborough sounds take the road out to Titirangi, absolutely exhausting because it has no straight bits at all, but great fun. Also go to French Pass and maybe you'll see some Orca like we did one time.

The ride up the west coast can be amazing or a soggy slog. I've had it both ways. I did the Caretera Austral recently in Chile and found it very similar. I much prefer being off road in New Zealand, I think a lot of visitors struggle with the driving conditions there...

Linky to my last trip https://advscotland.com/index.php?topic=1515.0

Read Mike O's ride report.I don't think he missed much when he was there!

if you can afford the scenic flight from queenstown to milford - do it

ramada at queenstown airport (5 mins walk) good too - not as $$$ as qtown itself

hike the remarkables too

Me and my wife are planning to do a bike trip next time we go to New Zealand. We have been and toured in a car but spent all our time wishing we were on a bike. We have done both islands but would like to stick to the south island for the trip. We have a rough idea of areas we would like to include but always interesting to know where others have been.
I'm just wanting advice ideas and recommendations from anyone who has done it , as in , is it better to do an organised trip or just hire bikes. We have toured europe many times in the past but always on our own so it would be interesting to hear peoples experiences of organised trips. We are thinking maybe February 2021 so a bit of time yet but the planning needs to be started so we have something to look forward to.

You need 'Mike O'...you won't get a better ride report (IMO), nuff said! :D

I think this is going to get pushed back a year now as my lado has decided to get married in Fiji next year. :blast

Not sure what the problem is. I am in NZ at present. Had to apply for a NZeTA like any other citizen/subject of a visa waiver country. The same will apply in Europe once ETIAS is introduced.

Back
Top Bottom