Classic RT values

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry the cat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
An old friend of ours is thinking of selling one of his two treasured BMW’S. A mechanic at one of our local indy’s wants it but our friend has no idea what it’s worth.

It’s an R100RT Classic. 1996 air cooled boxer 998cc Battleship grey, 104,000 miles. One owner since delivery. Fully equipped with luggage carrying kit. MOT renewed this month. The owner rates it as in ‘fair’ condition for it’s age and mileage.

Can anyone contribute a reasonable valuation to help him. Does a 1996 RT count as a classic and I’d there a market for them?

Any informed thoughts appreciated.

Now if it was a GS. Seriously to value something like that you would have to post photos. One mans fair condition is another mans mint for year. There’s no big money on them yet. It’s a how long is a piece of string question at the moment. How much is the buyer offering? JJH

Now if it was a GS. Seriously to value something like that you would have to post photos. One mans fair condition is another mans mint for year. There’s no big money on them yet. It’s a how long is a piece of string question at the moment. How much is the buyer offering? JJH

Agreed on that.... having looked at a couple of 98 bikes with 70k miles trading at £1500ish, I would say he d be looking at a price below that. Certainly no classics and actually quite unsightly bikes those before 2001...

Agreed on that.... having looked at a couple of 98 bikes with 70k miles trading at £1500ish, I would say he d be looking at a price below that. Certainly no classics and actually quite unsightly bikes those before 2001...

I don’t think they made them in 98.

Difficult one to answer without seeing it , sub £1000 would be too cheap probably , more than ? £1750 would be too dear ..... would be my opinion.

depends on real condition and what needs spending on it (stainless silencers vs mild steel , battery needed vs battery fine , etc etc) ... and the brakes will be crap .............. !

I woukd expect it to be valued if in reasonable condition £2500, anyone valuing it less either is working on what they were a few years ago, before the hipsters bought them to turn into cool cafe racers, or trying to base the value on the 1100, which are a bargain, all Airheads are considered classics, some more value than others

The brakes will be fine, not fantastic, but far better than early models, drum rear, twin disc front, they never came without stainless silencers, as far as I am aware, it’s the collector box that goes on them,

Rattly cam chains, valves, gearboxes every now and again, and previous owner bodges are the issues,

They make a good usable classic, though your feet cook in hot weather, and speedometers seem wildly optimistic,

It will be fine on unleaded at that age.

The mechanic at the local Independant wants it,

It’s destined to be a cafe racer :D

I woukd expect it to be valued if in reasonable condition £2500, anyone valuing it less either is working on what they were a few years ago, before the hipsters bought them to turn into cool cafe racers, or trying to base the value on the 1100, which are a bargain, all Airheads are considered classics, some more value than others

The brakes will be fine, not fantastic, but far better than early models, drum rear, twin disc front, they never came without stainless silencers, as far as I am aware, it’s the collector box that goes on them,

Rattly cam chains, valves, gearboxes every now and again, and previous owner bodges are the issues,

They make a good usable classic, though your feet cook in hot weather, and speedometers seem wildly optimistic,

It will be fine on unleaded at that age.

The mechanic at the local Independant wants it,

It’s destined to be a cafe racer :D

Thanks for all your responses to date. I do hope she’s not destined to be a cafe racer. Esmeralda as she is known is a genuine one owner bike and the owner is a genuine biker who makes sure his bikes are looked after. I would say the bike has been used rather than abused, but not cosseted in a cosmetic sense. I’ll see if he can send me some piccy’s.

An old friend of ours is thinking of selling one of his two treasured BMW’S. A mechanic at one of our local indy’s wants it but our friend has no idea what it’s worth.

It’s an R100RT Classic. 1996 air cooled boxer 998cc Battleship grey, 104,000 miles. One owner since delivery. Fully equipped with luggage carrying kit. MOT renewed this month. The owner rates it as in ‘fair’ condition for it’s age and mileage.

Can anyone contribute a reasonable valuation to help him. Does a 1996 RT count as a classic and I’d there a market for them?

Any informed thoughts appreciated.

No offense intended, but It is hardly a 'classic'. So you should be getting what a typical old bike is worth.

Pictures of Esmerelda:

Attachments

• IMGP2650 copy 2.jpg
    IMGP2650 copy 2.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 274
  • IMGP2656 copy.jpg
    IMGP2656 copy.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMGP2651 copy.jpg
    IMGP2651 copy.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMGP2654 copy.jpg
    IMGP2654 copy.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 264
Looks like a fine example of a usable “classic”. Well thought of by a few discerning bikers. They are being canablised by builders of often dubious credentials creating sometimes hideous monstrosity’s. If it’s worth £2000 now the value is only going to go up in the future. Mabey not to the Elevated levels you see on some GSs but you never know. I like them. JJH

It also depends on condition. Some expert throwing their eye on it could highlight a few issues. You could quickly end up on first name terms with everyone in Motorworks and have them on speed dial. Ideally it should be bought by someone who knows these bikes if possible. JJH

Well based on adverts around various places the prices for an average bike (which Esmerelda looks like) is around £1500 - £2200.
Of course you may strike it lucky and someone may want to throw money at you...send them in my direction!

Just for an idea of the fuckoligy that goes on there’s a airhead unfinished project on Irish DoneDeal for €1500. JJH

Thanks to all contributors. Very helpful and I've passed information on to my friend with my thoughts. The last thought being if you don't like the offer keep the bike. It's unlikely to lose any money at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom