Route suggestions please

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there,

Booked my ferry to Cairnryan on Wednesday the 15th of May, getting in about 15.30. I'm going to Dent for the weekend. Any suggestions for a bit of a nose around South Scotland en route? I like taking landscape photos, so scenic would be great. Not looking for a long ride on the day I arrive but happy to put the miles in on the thursday and hightail it down the motorway on the Friday. I'm having a good look on google etc but I was hoping for a few suggestions. Thanks :thumb

Samye ling, is a very interesting place to visit, and enjoy the peace and solitude.
633bbd496bee3c3ae359584b7931b217.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I really don't know if you are having a laugh or not :D I'm not sure I've got the bowls for a buddist temple!

No, I'm serious. I grew up close to there and I always spin the prayer wheels and walk round the Stupa chanting Om mani padme hum when I visit. Bowls...do you mean singing bowls or do you think you need balls to visit there....? :nenau

Sit in the temple and meditate for half an hour as well and then go and have tea and a bun in the Tibetan Tea Rooms. You could then ride the rest of the B709 down to Langholm which is only 20 miles away from Carlisle and the M6.

What about Dalven pass, that's quite scenic, it all depends where you're travelling from, and length of time to get to cairnryan.

ITYM Dalveen Pass, dear. http://www.sobt.co.uk/2017/08/dalveen-pass.html

No, I'm serious. I grew up close to there and I always spin the prayer wheels and walk round the Stupa chanting Om mani padme hum when I visit. Bowls...do you mean singing bowls or do you think you need balls to visit there....? :nenau

Sit in the temple and meditate for half an hour as well and then go and have tea and a bun in the Tibetan Tea Rooms. You could then ride the rest of the B709 down to Langholm which is only 20 miles away from Carlisle and the M6.

Mea culpa,

Stupidity, nothing more.

Dalveen pass.

yeah head through the Forest. nip through Lockerbie,look at the memorial , drop into Gretna via the old road. Coming South,head towards the north Lake district and ride over the Kirkstone Pass. from there across into the Dales and Dent..Have a great safe trip

Well both actually! I was just trying to be smart / silly

Nice one thanks

What about Dalven pass, that's quite scenic, it all depends where you're travelling from, and length of time to get to cairnryan.

yeah head through the Forest. nip through Lockerbie,look at the memorial , drop into Gretna via the old road. Coming South,head towards the north Lake district and ride over the Kirkstone Pass. from there across into the Dales and Dent..Have a great safe trip

Thanks for that!

I think I've enough there folks to plan a decent spin. Ps . I'm coming from Dublin, so Belfast to Cairnryan.

Just seen that Galloway forest is a dark sky region. So I'm looking into staying somewhere near Dalmellington. Would be really cool if it was a clear night. Then do a long day on the friday. Ticks a couple of boxes nicely. I'm off to research Galoway forrest and see where I might like to stay.

I'm going to wild camp here on the first night. Try my hand at some astrophotograhy. I've been told there are toilet facilities.

Clatteringshaws Loch
https://goo.gl/maps/xsj6pwQ3fw1EafxE7

Trying to plan a days riding for the thursday with a b'n'b or inn on the thursday night and a blat down the motorway to dent on the friday.

I'm going to wild camp here on the first night. Try my hand at some astrophotograhy. I've been told there are toilet facilities.

Clatteringshaws Loch
https://goo.gl/maps/xsj6pwQ3fw1EafxE7

Trying to plan a days riding for the thursday with a b'n'b or inn on the thursday night and a blat down the motorway to dent on the friday.

The A712 past there is a great road. I did it twice over Easter during my coast to coast ride.

I'll be sure to enjoy those roads. Making out a route as I type. Thanks for the help.

Trying to plan here for a couple of nights wild camping before heading to dent on the friday, the weather is looking good. I'm attaching a couple of screen grabs below. basically, I want to camp by the old hunting lodge on the banks of Lough Grannoch. It's ticking all the boxes I have. Thing is, I'm planning on following the A712 up through the park to chatteringshaws Lough and then taking the road down to lough Grannoch. The road is the one that leads there most directly is just below Raiders road. My sat nav refuses to route through this road. it also shows a break in the road. Can anyone advise if I can drive from Chatteringshaws to Grannoch without having to take a crazy long route around it? I know i'm probably over planning but fail to plan - plan to fail!!

Am I allowed to ride this road? :nenau

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 09.53.38.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-05-07 at 09.53.38.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 103

Back
Top Bottom