Where to find any road issues in Picos de Europa

Quick heads up, we survived Storm Hannah, the channel cut up tougher than the bay of Biscay. Stayed at Hotel El Jisu last night, excellent t location but not exactly budget by the time you eat there. There is snow in the tops of the Picos but the roads we went on were clear round the back roads and then on to Braganca all clear. Ibis is £72 for 2 nights and free under ground parking.

then on to Braganca all clear. Ibis is £72 for 2 nights and free under ground parking.

Free? They have buried the two euro (four for two nights, I guess) in the £72.

I know it's probably a bit late but for anyone else reading this subsequently;

THE place to stay in Chaves, without a shadow of doubt, is the Forte De Sao Francisco hotel. http://www.fortesaofrancisco.com/en/home.htm

It's a 15th century convent-cum-fort in the style of the Spanish Paradores. Very biker friendly and you park them inside the fort together with everyone else.

The loop around Bragança and Chaves from the Ride magazine is nothing to write home about if I'm honest. If you have now't else to do, it's fine but don't expect great roads or scenery or food stops or anything else out of the ordinary. I'm sorry if that rains on anyone's parade but I feel that if anyone is riding down to Bragança looking forward to riding Ride's loop, then you will find it rather underwhelming and I would like to save anyone the trouble.

Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

All this does not mean that it isn't worth going down to Chaves because, as I say, the ride down and the hotel is great.

The roads down to Bragança from Asturias/Galicia are another matter. They are very good and offer a multitude of entertaining options if you stay away from dual carriageways.

I know it's probably a bit late but for anyone else reading this subsequently;

THE place to stay in Chaves, without a shadow of doubt, is the Forte De Sao Francisco hotel. http://www.fortesaofrancisco.com/en/home.htm

It's a 15th century convent-cum-fort in the style of the Spanish Paradores. Very biker friendly and you park them inside the fort together with everyone else.

The loop around Bragança and Chaves from the Ride magazine is nothing to write home about if I'm honest. If you have now't else to do, it's fine but don't expect great roads or scenery or food stops or anything else out of the ordinary. I'm sorry if that rains on anyone's parade but I feel that if anyone is riding down to Bragança looking forward to riding Ride's loop, then you will find it rather underwhelming and I would like to save anyone the trouble.

Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

All this does not mean that it isn't worth going down to Chaves because, as I say, the ride down and the hotel is great.

The roads down to Bragança from Asturias/Galicia are another matter. They are very good and offer a multitude of entertaining options if you stay away from dual carriageways.

I did ride to Chaves and then on to Braga, not a bad road at all. AS you say the none dual carriageways are good fun. I popped a post with a view on the hotels I used elsewhere in this section. We tend not to bother with posh ones as these are just a place to rest weary heads after a days travelling.

Back
Top Bottom