Where to find any road issues in Picos de Europa

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
My wife and I are arriving in Santander on the 28th and have booked a night at the Hotel El Jisu, no ide if its god or not but what the heck.

I am looking for some insight into where we can find out if any roads are blocked around that area.
We have 10 days to play around and get back to Bilbao so have nothing else booked.

Don't mind rain much but not looking to turn my bike into a Snow Plough so is there a good place to find out what's blocked and what isn't?

We are probably going to meander over to North Portugal as well Braganca seems to get good reviews.

We will book hotels on the fly but are open to recommendations.

I've been in very early May and theres not been a hint of snow...perhaps just Google "roads closed Picos" ?

Via Michelin does indeed display closed roads in black and under “traffic incidents” there is a significant weather warning icon. However I’m not sure if either relate specifically to closures due to snow

The subject has been discussed before and at least two websites identified that display the state of play in the snowy season - perhaps Simon can help out ....... ?

Google Maps does show these closures but we found to our cost that they are often way out of date if not just plain wrong

Google: Pyrenees roads open

The first thing that pops up is:

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/T...yrenees_2000-66210-Pyrenees_Orientales-France

Three words only. It’s what Google prides itself in and a lot less than post #1.

Have a great holiday with your wife, hope it doesn’t rain or snow.

PS Challenge Google again with three words: hotels north Portugal
I have looked at via Michelin and googled to try and find closed roads in the Picos, if I'd have found them I wouldn't have asked. If you Google closed roads in Picos is filed suggest via Michelin but crosses out closed ! Don't much care about the Pyrenees, as my question may have intimated, I'm not going there.:D
I know I am not unique in aiming for there so was hoping someone might have been through there who could help out with some information.:beerjug:
Google and booking.com does give a list of hotels, my wife and I have floated around Europe before now using these on the fly. What this doesn't give is a personal recommendation, hence the question.
We will have a great time i
I am sure, assuming her kliktronic meant repeat its disgrace in Belgium again.

Googling: Picos de Europa roads closed, turns up:

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/T..._nacional_de_los_Picos_de_Europa-_-Leon-Spain

As regards Braganca hotels, if I were entertaining your lady (or even myself), I’d head for:

https://www.pousadas.pt/pt/hotel/pousada-braganca

though this one for two euro a night (including SECURE parking) looks like extraordinarily good value, leaving plenty of spare dosh for a solid night on the turps, scran and brew.

if you have not sorted your accommodation out for Braganca there is a hotel ibis with secure under ground parking for 2 euros a night.

When i stayed it seem popular with ktm riders:D

It comes up again:

Thanks again Jersey, its been a couple of years since ive been abroad, have to admit getting quite excited again doing the planning etc, i had forgotten all about the Ibis chain, we always used an Ibis in Breganca Portugal as the first stop off from the ferry if we were going down south

And again...

Hey Bake, I have stayed at the Breganca Ibis too (small world) on my first bike trip we went on to Porto I'd never heard of Braganca prior to staying there. Seem to remember the roads into Portugal were stunning as was Porto. :thumb

This fellow was just unnecessarily secretive or maybe it was something his mate told him:

I know of a good Hotel and very good rates located in Braganca it is situated North of the city so you can explore the roads without having to go into the city it is a large |Hotel but the prices are very good it also has underground parking for security of the bikes

Though this chap was more helpful;

A good "Hotel" near Bragança is http://www.amontesinho.pt/ small typical houses!

A mandatory place is the Douro valley, next to Pinhão there's plenty of great hotels.

This fellow liked this B&B, if that’s your thing. Sadly, he peaked a little early, completely failing to complete the job in anything like any essential detail:

Nice place in Braganca called Shalom Hotel. More of a B&B than a Hotel. Underground secure car park and restuarant next door. Just no idea of the exact address. Found it by accident and never waypointed it.

Gazza was maybe too tired, busy, pissed, couldn’t be arsed or just didn’t know how to complete an otherwise excellent stab at sharing a personal recommendation. I’ll do it for him:

http://hotel-shalom.com.pt/

To summarise: It looks like the Ibis is informed bikers’ (and KTM riders’) hotel of choice, the ultimate seal of approval, some might think. Though, the two euro per night, might well indicate that a large degree of sharing of the facilities (and probably the bed) might well be required.

Be sure to share your personal experiences and recommendations when you come back :thumb

Have a great time!

:beerjug:

Googling: Picos de Europa roads closed, turns up:

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/T..._nacional_de_los_Picos_de_Europa-_-Leon-Spain

As regards Braganca hotels, if I were entertaining your lady (or even myself), I’d head for:

https://www.pousadas.pt/pt/hotel/pousada-braganca

though this one for two euro a night (including SECURE parking) looks like extraordinarily good value, leaving plenty of spare dosh for a solid night on the turps, scran and brew.

It comes up again:

And again...

This fellow was just unnecessarily secretive or maybe it was something his mate told him:

Though this chap was more helpful;

This fellow liked this B&B, if that’s your thing. Sadly, he peaked a little early, completely failing to complete the job in anything like any essential detail:

Gazza was maybe too tired, busy, pissed, couldn’t be arsed or just didn’t know how to complete an otherwise excellent stab at sharing a personal recommendation. I’ll do it for him:

http://hotel-shalom.com.pt/

To summarise: It looks like the Ibis is informed bikers’ (and KTM riders’) hotel of choice, the ultimate seal of approval, some might think. Though, the two euro per night, might well indicate that a large degree of sharing of the facilities (and probably the bed) might well be required.

Be sure to share your personal experiences and recommendations when you come back :thumb

Have a great time!

:beerjug:

I had looked at the Ibis, though I fear, the 2 Euro's a night is for the parking not the room :blast They do tend to be a predictable chain of hotels which minimises the risk. We once booked a Hotel on spec opposite the Le Mans Railway Station as it had secure parking, however fire instruction in the room were "In the event of a fire attract the attention of passers by" As it overlooked the roofs of all the adjacent building I suspect the only "passer by" would be a burglar who may not wish to help!!

We are unsure of mileage between hotels due to issues with wifeys false leg limiting how long she can ride so I suspect we will resort to out normal routine of booking the next night at a hotel that fits timescales rather than making the mileage a target. This has worked well on several occasions and led to meeting some nice people in unexpected locations.

This one looks tempting for a second nigh as long as its not full of pesky bikers :green gri: https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Hotel/Valdore-24970-_-vkv8ybbk

Attract the attention of the pigeons on the Le Mans’ rooftops. Then attach a message of ‘Help! I’m on fire!’ to them, preferably in several languages. Reference to pompiers might help.

God, why is it all so difficult and complicated for so many people? :blast

God, why is it all so difficult and complicated for so many people? :blast

So what's difficult and complicated about asking for advice?

You know nothing of my circumstances but are happy to judge? Oh wait, your from the Wirral, that explains it all.

The subject has been discussed before and at least two websites identified that display the state of play in the snowy season - perhaps Simon can help out ....... ?

Ha Ha. here we go ... :) just look at the TV that will be on in the bar/cafes where you have your breakfast. The forecast lists the level at which it's snowing - if it is! . e.g. 1,500m 1,800m, etc. then check your map for the altitude of your road. Almost all are cleared within 24 hours so you're only really interested on the days when it's actually snowing.

Note that as the weather tends to come in from the Atlantic it's the Picos that 'stop' the system and hnce the precipitation, which falls mush worse in neighbouring Asturias.

Enjoy!

Simon

PS I'm feeling smart today, I don't use terms like 'precipitation' for every good looking boy y'know! :)

Right then

The Picos are not a particularly high group of mountains no where near the height of the Alps or the Pyrenees. at a guess there will be at least 600m difference in the highest Picos road and the Alps etc so at the time of year you are travelling i would be very surprised if there were any road closures because of snow .

Now the Spanish can and often close a road or a stretch of it to repair it and they, in my experience do this at the drop of a hat so you have to take your chances

AS for hotels booking .com is your friend but if you can get in a PArador at a reasonble ( within your budget) do so The one at Cangas del Narcea is excellent and i would recommend it i would also recomend Parador in Puebla de Sanabria and the Hotel Trindade Coelho in Mogadouro ( which is Portugal if you do get that far

If you look at the Hotels i have recomended and your first hotel you have booked you could do a brilliant route which would fill your time nicely

Happy to help

I am loving the odd order of the bullet point chief attractions of the (very biker friendly) hotel in post # 8

Toilets
Mountain views
Bidet

If you’re going to Bragança I highly recommend the N103 between there & Chaves
It continues to the coast but I haven’t ridden the western end although it looks good too ;)

It continues to the coast but I haven’t ridden the western end although it looks good too ;)

I noticed in Ride Magazine there are a couple of loops around Chaves, it was on my looks good radar. If wifes leg behaves then the coast is a "will do" !

Yep, it’s great all the way down.

Chaves is very impressive, can get busy in the summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom