BMW Battery Charger

NeilH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Can I use the BMW Battery charger part no 77 02 8 551 896 on my R1200RT-P year 2007?

I want to use the bike on board system to manage the charge.

Can I use the BMW Battery charger part no 77 02 8 551 896 on my R1200RT-P year 2007?

I want to use the bike on board system to manage the charge.

As long as you plug it into the right socket - although I don't understand your second sentence.

"Mange the charge" was a poor choice of words on my part.

Basically plug the charger into the accessory socket.....then the on-board electronics shuts down the accessory socket when the battery is charged - it could also be that this model (R1200RT 2007) doesn't have smart charging technology.

At worst I can connect it directly to the battery.

If it's the BMW charger - or a Canbus compatible Optimate, as an example - it'll be fine.
However, as it's the police model R1200RT-P, you must use the socket on the fairing, by the riders left knee.
The socket at the rear - on the police model - charges the slave battery that is carried in the right side fairing pocket, that in service life runs the radio & blue lights.
It will not charge the main battery.

Martyn - Now that was good information regarding charging the Aux. I'll be back in the UK in 3 weeks and I can check all this out.

Martyn - Now that was good information regarding charging the Aux. I'll be back in the UK in 3 weeks and I can check all this out.

That is of course assuming - dangerous I know - that there hasn't been any modification to the standard set-up.

If it's the BMW charger - or a Canbus compatible Optimate, as an example - it'll be fine.
However, as it's the police model R1200RT-P, you must use the socket on the fairing, by the riders left knee.
The socket at the rear - on the police model - charges the slave battery that is carried in the right side fairing pocket, that in service life runs the radio & blue lights.
It will not charge the main battery.

As I understand you can plug in your battery charger to the rear socket and it will charge the additional battery and once fully charged will then charge the main battery - see extract below from, the BMW literature :

Accessory Power Sockets:
Two accessory power sockets are provided as standard equipment on each
R 1200 RT-P model. The two sockets are fed from the same circuit. Both sockets will automatically shut-down 50 seconds after ignition off. Low wattage accessories may not be initially recognized – shutting down after a maximum of 15 min.
Front Socket:
The front power socket is connected to the main motorcycle battery through the main general module (GM), which limits the load on both sockets to 10A. The rear socket is on the same circuit and is also connected to the main battery via the main GM.
Rear Socket:
You may charge the batteries on the motorcycle from either socket. When the BMW 2.5A battery charger (BMW PN 77 02 8 551 897) is connected to either socket, the GMSF senses the connection and closes the auxiliary battery charging relay, thereby bridging the main and auxiliary batteries, charging them simultaneously. The 2.5A charger should be able to fully charge both batteries overnight.

As I understand you can plug in your battery charger to the rear socket and it will charge the additional battery and once fully charged will then charge the main battery - see extract below from, the BMW literature :

Accessory Power Sockets:
Two accessory power sockets are provided as standard equipment on each
R 1200 RT-P model. The two sockets are fed from the same circuit. Both sockets will automatically shut-down 50 seconds after ignition off. Low wattage accessories may not be initially recognized – shutting down after a maximum of 15 min.
Front Socket:
The front power socket is connected to the main motorcycle battery through the main general module (GM), which limits the load on both sockets to 10A. The rear socket is on the same circuit and is also connected to the main battery via the main GM.
Rear Socket:
You may charge the batteries on the motorcycle from either socket. When the BMW 2.5A battery charger (BMW PN 77 02 8 551 897) is connected to either socket, the GMSF senses the connection and closes the auxiliary battery charging relay, thereby bridging the main and auxiliary batteries, charging them simultaneously. The 2.5A charger should be able to fully charge both batteries overnight.
It may have varied year from year, but the rear socket definitely didn't charge the main battery on one batch of our bikes, as the rider of one bike found when he went on an extended holiday, leaving the charger connected at the rear. On his return t'was deader than a dead thing, but 24 hours with the charger connected to the front socket & all was well.
It is not beyond the realms of possibility that a change was made because of problems. I have somewhere the extra booklet that came with our 2007 1200's, but cannot put my hand on it just now. I know what'll happen. In the search for it I'll find all sorts & end up spending the day reading long lost stuff..........

It may have varied year from year, but the rear socket definitely didn't charge the main battery on one batch of our bikes, as the rider of one bike found when he went on an extended holiday, leaving the charger connected at the rear. On his return t'was deader than a dead thing, but 24 hours with the charger connected to the front socket & all was well.
It is not beyond the realms of possibility that a change was made because of problems. I have somewhere the extra booklet that came with our 2007 1200's, but cannot put my hand on it just now. I know what'll happen. In the search for it I'll find all sorts & end up spending the day reading long lost stuff..........

It may well be different then for a 2007 model - mine is a 2011 and it certainly charges both batteries

A mates battery on a water cooled RT is flat, how do we get into the battery to charge it?

A mates battery on a water cooled RT is flat, how do we get into the battery to charge it?

If he has a BMW charger, you just plug into one of the auxiliary power outlets. If it isn't then access is directly onto the battery.
Access is achieved by removing the righthand side leg fairing (behind the cylinder head - officially called an engine spoiler!) this is held on by 2 screws (one at the top and one at the bottom of the panel. The panel is eased outward and may also have a rubber grommet to help secure it too. This will just pull off . The battery is directly behind this cover.

Back
Top Bottom