What size is the O ring on the oil filler socket?

markkfletcher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My oil filler socket is blowing a bit, and it looks like the O ring on the socket (Number 6 on the diagram below) has flattened off. Anyone know what size it is before I pay motorworks £5.95 plus £3 p&p for a standard part that costs pennies...

MIXR1150_R1150OilFiller.gif

And for bonus points, what size is the O ring on the filler cap (8) - I'll change them both.

my notes show it as a -214 size.

which converts to Cross section 3.53 ID 24.99 OD 32.06 all in MM

Just ordered one myself, but ordered extra kit for a service to negate the postage cost! Seems we also do not have a discount set up with them, why not yet?
Anyhow, part number 11141340902 18X4 if it means anything

i had this problem, changed o-rings, didnt make much improvement so got all the parts, the o-rings, the plastic insert, replaced it all.
much better.
Its worth the extra $ to do that, then its done for another 15years

Have you tried asking the mothership for a price,

might be cheaper than the other price with p&P

i had this problem, changed o-rings, didnt make much improvement so got all the parts, the o-rings, the plastic insert, replaced it all.
much better.
Its worth the extra $ to do that, then its done for another 15years

That's not a bad thought.

If you put it in boiling water for 5 minutes - pan on stove, dishcloth in pan, to protect the ring from direct heat, and just simmer gently for 5 minutes, less for something that size, it will give it a restorative shape!
Done it loads of times with marine motor impellors for the water pump - people don't bother taking the impellor out when they lay the motor up, it sits in position and takes on a 'set', then when fired up doesn't seal well enough to supply water at full strength.... boil it up, good as it was before the set set in. Much cheaper than a new impellor, provided it isn't cracked or missing the ends off any of the vanes. It is a good cruising 'get you home fix' for a boat with an inboard and a galley - less so on an outboard powered craft.

It could well work on these O rings, they are a similar type of material.

If you put it in boiling water for 5 minutes - pan on stove, dishcloth in pan, to protect the ring from direct heat, and just simmer gently for 5 minutes, less for something that size, it will give it a restorative shape!

Brilliant. I'll give this a try first.

Back
Top Bottom