New battery ?????

BADGER999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Seeking advice from the more educated...... bought an 02 plate GS back in January....put about 300 miles on it since. Last week I started checking spots and headlights before a trip away next month. This morning started the bike to get the clocks zero and the ABS flash......did 200 miles today without any drama. Now showing 12.49volts on my multimeter. Question is....... do I need a new battery....or has my meddling with spots just drained the battery ??? Ferry to Spain in 2 weeks.....advice definitely appreciated :nenau

Sometimes when the starter struggles to turn the engine over, it makes a funny noise and sets the clocks to zero. This usually occurs to me when the engine is hot and the compression is up.

This seems to happen regardless of battery strength. Someone will be along to tell you how to measure your battery properly as you need to take a reading when it is cranking the engine, and also how much the battery is getting when the bike is running with a few revs.

As I said, someone with more knowledge will help, although, you could do a search for these checks as I've seen them often enough. (It's just not sunk in yet) :thumb2

If you do get a new battery, I've just had a Motobatt fitted and this seems to be as good as any, if not better than a few.

Charge it up over night and see if it starts in the morning. Take it from there. JJH

Bike now been left on the smart charger overnight.........12.6v showing on a full charge. I know these bikes need a strong battery so is this acceptable ????

No. Just off charge you should be doing better than that. It the meter your using accurate? Will it start the bike? Sometimes smart chargers aren't so smart at all. JJH

Thought as much ! Used a decent multimeter and it’s showing 12.64v to be exact !

2.2 volts per cell on fully charge battery = 13.2volts, will drop a bit reasonably soon after removal of charger.

i have had the clocks reset twice on a 2 month old motobatt, granted it was cold but I know the battery is good. It used to do it every so often with my odyssey 680 too, causing me to replace it with the motobatt over winter. The odyssey is still giving good service in one of my other bikes. I suspect my starter motor may be due a service.

12.64v isnt a bad reading, wouldnt want the guy to rush out and buy a new battery expecting 13v plus, when there may well be bugger all wrong with the old one.

i have had the clocks reset twice on a 2 month old motobatt, granted it was cold but I know the battery is good. It used to do it every so often with my odyssey 680 too, causing me to replace it with the motobatt over winter. The odyssey is still giving good service in one of my other bikes. I suspect my starter motor may be due a service.

12.64v isnt a bad reading, wouldnt want the guy to rush out and buy a new battery expecting 13v plus, when there may well be bugger all wrong with the old one.
Decided to change the battery and play it safe......so just fitted an ‘Enduroline’ from Tayna batteries. When I took the old one out found it to be an Odyssey........fitted in 2009 ! Wish now i’d have got another.....ten years ain’t a bad return from a battery :bounce1

Back
Top Bottom