exhaust question on 1150R

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sorry, might be a numpty question......Thinking of changing my exhaust note...Will any slip on exhaust for a 1150gs fit the 1150R without much hassle? What other models can I use/look for. Just the end can, nothing expensive, just sound and ease of install. Seems the 1150R are scarce on e bay but quite a selection of 1150GS cans..Enlighten me please.
Thanks

Very likely, but if you're running the catalyser, just put a tip on the exit from the catalyser, it's not much louder than the oe setup, and doesn't sound bad.

sorry, in English?

My deepest apologies old boy. I simply detest attemping to communicate through these new-fangled miniature communication devices, useful though they may be for rapid responses to requests for assistance, so I do have a somewhat distressing habit of reducing the quality of my communications when I endeavour to use said devices. ;)

I was advising that it's perfectly possible to run the bike without an exhaust canister, assuming, naturally, that you are retaining the original catalyser box, because the catalyser box will act quite efficiently as a silencer, reducing the volume of output to 'nearly' legal levels all by itself. The original equipment end canister merely provide extra sound-deadening to bring the overall volume down even more, whilst also helping to keep the bike looking 'normal'.

I would advise buying or making a short extension pipe that fits over the exit from the catalyser box however, as it will tidy up the look of the installation, whilst also providing some protection to the catalyser box from the ingress of precipitative moisture when the vehicle is parked in a stationary manner.

:)

My deepest apologies old boy. I simply detest attemping to communicate through these new-fangled miniature communication devices, useful though they may be for rapid responses to requests for assistance, so I do have a somewhat distressing habit of reducing the quality of my communications when I endeavour to use said devices. ;)

I was advising that it's perfectly possible to run the bike without an exhaust canister, assuming, naturally, that you are retaining the original catalyser box, because the catalyser box will act quite efficiently as a silencer, reducing the volume of output to 'nearly' legal levels all by itself. The original equipment end canister merely provide extra sound-deadening to bring the overall volume down even more, whilst also helping to keep the bike looking 'normal'.

I would advise buying or making a short extension pipe that fits over the exit from the catalyser box however, as it will tidy up the look of the installation, whilst also providing some protection to the catalyser box from the ingress of precipitative moisture when the vehicle is parked in a stationary manner.

Answered more succinctly in Post#4 :blagblah

Thinking of changing my exhaust note...Will any slip on exhaust for a 1150gs fit the 1150R without much hassle?

In that case you'd be happier with a Y pipe and the original can (and the bike will be happier too, just install the proper Eprom).

Otherwise the end cans for the GS and R1150R are the same.
You can fit them with ease. I used to have a titanium remus on my R1150R.

superb, thank you! Anyone got a stubby?

These look quite trick on a GS (it’s from a Suzuki GSXR)

Attachments

• 6FB89004-3F9D-44CD-88B7-EA5E82CBC322.jpeg
    6FB89004-3F9D-44CD-88B7-EA5E82CBC322.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 204
In that case you'd be happier with a Y pipe and the original can (and the bike will be happier too, just install the proper Eprom).
I've tried that, and I can't recommend it. The exhaust gases get hotter than usual (the OE can catches all the heat) and they'll burn a hole in your panniers.

Fitting a stubby also would allow you to use a full size LH system case instead of the original with the cutaway for the silencer - makes a big difference to luggage capacity and looks:thumb
I've attached a couple of old pics showing my GS with the full size case and the stubby.

Cheers...................Grizzly:beerjug:

Attachments

• IMG_0010_1.JPG
    IMG_0010_1.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC00844_1.JPG
    DSC00844_1.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 181
Fitting a stubby also would allow you to use a full size LH system case instead of the original with the cutaway for the silencer - makes a big difference to luggage capacity and looks:thumb
I've attached a couple of old pics showing my GS with the full size case and the stubby.

Cheers...................Grizzly:beerjug:

Is that 'tip'/'stubby' a cut down Y-piece... ;)

I've tried that, and I can't recommend it. The exhaust gases get hotter than usual (the OE can catches all the heat) and they'll burn a hole in your panniers.

A downturned stubby as used by most people isn’t a problem.

That is true (I've melted one of the panniers) but there are solutions around that.

Is that 'tip'/'stubby' a cut down Y-piece... ;)

No, they were custom made for the 1150's by a forum member - "Reyno" I think it was? - he used to make quite a few stainless parts for the 1150GS, but no longer does it.
Sometimes come up in the For Sale section or on Ebay - but becoming harder to find.

Also, there is obviously no heat danger to pannier with this system as the exhaust gases head downwards.

Cheers........................Grizzly

There used to be a Remus end can with a longer end piece to avoid the pannier-melting issue.

I've traveled many years with Y piece and Remus end can without melting anything. Then after a small traffic collision, the can had a different angle and started melting the panniers.

Back
Top Bottom