September 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
My suggestions: The passes around Andermatt are indeed great, though we rode the Susten twice on consecutive days: the first was an unforgettable day for all the right reasons; the second for all the wrong reasons as it was cold, wet and foggy! However, you do get (and MUST take) the opportunity take a photo of the Grimsel from the Furka. It's up there with a picture of Vianden Castle in the biker's photo album.

My favourite day's ride from Andermatt was over the Nufenen pass into Italy (Italy's highest paved road I think (although I think the Stelvio claims this too) then back via the St Gotthard pass where you could take tunnel, pass, or "old" pass which is very very very very very very very twisty.

Livigno is also worth a visit, with loads of accommodation and restaurants, and is cheap because it's a tax haven of sorts. It's also up a dead end. But close to Stelvio (which I didn't find that fulfilling).

My favourite individual Alpine road was the Grossglockner in Austria and, indeed, lots of the Austrian Tyrol which was very pretty.

The Stelvio is much higher than the Nufenen.

Livigno is a strange dead end as you can enter it from the South, the North or the East ;-)

Basic plan is

Night 1 - Dunkirk
Night 2 - Düsseldorf to Innsbruck nightjet
Night 3 - Innertkirchen
Night 4 & 5 - Andermatt
Night 6 - Colmar
Night 7 & 8 - Heidelberg
Night 9 & 10 - Maastricht

Working through a list of possible hotels, from posts on here and other recommendations. Dunkirk & Colmar we will probably stay in hotels we have used before.

Basic plan is

Night 1 - Dunkirk
Night 3 - Innertkirchen
Night 4 & 5 - Andermatt
Night 6 - Colmar
Night 7 & 8 - Heidelberg

Working through a list of possible hotels, from posts on here and other recommendations. Dunkirk & Colmar we will probably stay in hotels we have used before.

Awesome.

Slightly revised, due to hotel availability

Night 1 - Nieuwpoort
Night 3 - Wetterhorn
Night 4 & 5 - Andermatt
Night 6 - Colmar
Night 7 & 8 - Heidelberg

Furka proved to be everything I expected and maybe more. Box ticked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom