Top box question

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm trading in my Harley for an R1250RT. The BMW top box is very bloomin' expensive. Does anyone know if the older 49 litre box (without gas struts, carpet and central locking malarky) will fit without problem?

Cheers.

They come up on here used quite often, both sizes 49 litres, and 28 litres.

Thank you, mate. I searched the for sale forums on here and, earlier this year, one of our parishioners was offering one of the new ones for £500. I'm waiting to see if he's still got it...

Sold, sadly. So, it looks like an order with those German boys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The old one fit but not very well ,they move around on the mounting plate a lot .

That's odd ,I had the early 49 and 28 L boxes fitted to my LC 1200 without any movement? as have a few other people I ride with.
The luggage plate hasn't altered on the 1250 has it?

if your splashing the cash on a new 1250, tell the stealer to sort you a proper discount on the new top box. like at cost price to them

if your splashing the cash on a new 1250, tell the stealer to sort you a proper discount on the new top box. like at cost price to them

I bought mine a couple of years back from a BMW dealer in Germany on Ebay. Before I bought it I asked the seller if it would fit my 2014 model, and was told it wouldn't. However, advice on here from Schtum and others proved the dealer was wrong. I got the box and went to John Clark Dundee to order a lock mechanism. Whilst talking to the head honcho in the parts dept, I told him the price I paid for the box, which I recall was about half as much as I was quoted when I bought the bike. He humphed and hawed a bit, then said he could have matched the cheap price, especially if I was to show him the advert on Ebay. He's a nice guy and always comes across as an honest chappie. So its worth trying your dealer

The old one fit but not very well ,they move around on the mounting plate a lot .

Only if some of the mounting rubbers have fallen off. There's 4 (from memory I think) rubber pads that are stuck onto the mounting feet. As they age the glue weakens and they can go adrift. They're available as a spare part

Whatever
The new one is far superior clamps down from the inside doesn't move at all.
Only my opinion for what its worth .

Whatever
The new one is far superior clamps down from the inside doesn't move at all.
Only my opinion for what its worth .

Well, I can tell you they are both as secure as each other. Maybe you had a unit that was either set up badly, or worn, or indeed damaged.

Back
Top Bottom