Aftermarket radiator G650

GFJ

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
PACE rads are no longer available.

Nathan is exploring other options. I guess like the cush drive rubbers he sorted there may need to be a critical mass to make it worthwhile.

I've posted a screenshot of his entry on facebook re these (i am sh*t on facebook otherwise i would have posted a link)

Suggest if you are interested post up on there so he can gauge interest and numbers.

I have a PACE rad on one bike, but my other is getting somewhat ropey and i'll be getting one when produced.

Cheers to Nathan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190426-140542_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190426-140542_Facebook.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 371
Hi Gareth - curious why you wouldn't just buy a new genuine OEM BMW one - they are around the £400 mark complete with a new thermostat and cap ?

Hi Gareth - curious why you wouldn't just buy a new genuine OEM BMW one - they are around the £400 mark complete with a new thermostat and cap ?

Hi John.

The PACE rad is much more robust; fins are stronger and i believe offers better cooling through surface area and air flow, which all help with the mud and fan issues when on the trails.

Not so sure of the need when on road though tbh.

Hi guy's, I'd be really interested in one of these, any improvement on cooling is big plus for me, do they fit with a touratech tank? Nice one Nathan.

Hi Guys!

Benefits wise if you just use your XC for road work then you may not see an improvement, unless you end up stuck in traffic. However, the OEM has a very fine core, which is prone to clogging, especially if the vents in the back of the front fender aren't masked off, and this fine core also makes life very difficult for cleaning, and also susceptible to salt corrosion!.

The pace radiator has better spacing between the fins, and unlike the OEM unit that has plastic end caps and space for the expansion tank on the end, the pace unit is actually a full width item and is of all aluminium construction, so all the surfaces will help shed heat, as well as offering additional core volume.

I've contacted Pace and GMX (who used to make the touratech radiators for £900 ish!), and neither company have responded with any interest, which is very disappointing.

So with this in mind i'm looking for a custom radiator shop that can turn out some quality items, based on the Pace radiator, but with some improvements, such as better access to the radiator cap, and also provision for installing an in-line thermostat if required as well.

Will also look into a quality radiator guard to fit and new hose set to compliment it, while trying to keep the budget sensible.

As with the cush rubbers project, my primary concern is quality and making sure they are fit for purpose.

Any feedback would be very welcome.

Nathan

Hi Guys!

Benefits wise if you just use your XC for road work then you may not see an improvement, unless you end up stuck in traffic. However, the OEM has a very fine core, which is prone to clogging, especially if the vents in the back of the front fender aren't masked off, and this fine core also makes life very difficult for cleaning, and also susceptible to salt corrosion!.

The pace radiator has better spacing between the fins, and unlike the OEM unit that has plastic end caps and space for the expansion tank on the end, the pace unit is actually a full width item and is of all aluminium construction, so all the surfaces will help shed heat, as well as offering additional core volume.

I've contacted Pace and GMX (who used to make the touratech radiators for £900 ish!), and neither company have responded with any interest, which is very disappointing.

So with this in mind i'm looking for a custom radiator shop that can turn out some quality items, based on the Pace radiator, but with some improvements, such as better access to the radiator cap, and also provision for installing an in-line thermostat if required as well.

Will also look into a quality radiator guard to fit and new hose set to compliment it, while trying to keep the budget sensible.

As with the cush rubbers project, my primary concern is quality and making sure they are fit for purpose.

Any feedback would be very welcome.

Nathan

Hi Nathan - thanks for this information , I will watch closely as to progress and would be interested in one for my workhorse XChallenge if you get to the point of needing to get some commitment to buy

Cheers

John

Hi guy's, I'd be really interested in one of these, any improvement on cooling is big plus for me, do they fit with a touratech tank? Nice one Nathan.

Yes, mine is on the bike with the TT tank fitted.

Nathan, if you need an old rad to send off for them to size and copy from, let me know. I have a spare one from an xmoto (which i think are the same) that i can send you.
Gareth

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the radio silence on this the past few weeks. The day job has been hectic and buying a house hasn't left much spare time.

Hope to get some further enquiries underway towards the end of next week. Initial investigations shows the BMW only have 13 radiators left for the G650 X bikes in global stock so sourcing an alternative would be a good plan.

I'll keep you all posted.

Kind regards,

Nathan

Did this ever happen?

I picked up an XCountry yesterday and the radiator looks in bad shape. It's very clogged to star with but also quite a few fins bent. The fan also comes on after about 5 minutes on the bike so I figure something is up.

The plan is to rebuild the bike anyway but checking in on this thread to see radiator options if I have to replace. I read somewhere that the F650 rad might fit albeit with different mounting points. So I might need a new rad or 2nd hand.

Did this ever happen?

I picked up an XCountry yesterday and the radiator looks in bad shape. It's very clogged to star with but also quite a few fins bent. The fan also comes on after about 5 minutes on the bike so I figure something is up.

The plan is to rebuild the bike anyway but checking in on this thread to see radiator options if I have to replace. I read somewhere that the F650 rad might fit albeit with different mounting points. So I might need a new rad or 2nd hand.

Or simply alternative brackets making up?

What do the Husky Terra and Pegaso use for radiators? (Basically the same bikes as the X.)

Or simply alternative brackets making up?

What do the Husky Terra and Pegaso use for radiators? (Basically the same bikes as the X.)

Indeed or get some brackets made up to hold it. I'll take the rad off the bike soon enough to get a closer look.

Back
Top Bottom