SAT NAV - It has to be easier than this!!!!

If you look up videos on YouTube by 1983lparker, he has some excellent videos on how to use Basecamp. All in simple to understand format.
Allan

I also recommended these on a different thread last year. Think there are about 8 video's or so. When I learnt basecamp it was these that made the difference. The absolute must is watch them in order and pay particular attention to episode one and set up basecamp and Nav correctly, failure to do this will cause problems.

Do tell us more....screen shots and /or YouTube links always helpful

Google: google to Garmin or something really simple like that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qe5zEQWcdRU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fExzndcFSAU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GJsjGaLq4yc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Three simple words....

No sign of Wapping!
Is he ill?

It might be easiest if bods told us specifically what it is they find hard / impossible to do in BaseCamp. It would also help if they told us whether they:

1. Are using a Mac or a PC

2. Had watched any of the very good tutorial videos

3. Want to plot their own routes or if they just want to be told by any software how to get from A to B or A to E (via B, C and D) on a route that didn’t go anywhere near a motorway but avoided goat tracks, with no more effort than that

4. Had the slightest notion as to how to use their now very powerful new GPS device, which they had blagged as a whiz bang deal sweetener when they drove the killer bargain to buy their brand new awsome steed

5. Had even tried to use BaseCamp or if they had simply read on these pages that BaseCamp is shite, so had gone straight to a third party application.... and are now having problems with that, as it’s not working properly with their very powerful new GPS device (see 3 and 4 above)

I also recommended these on a different thread last year. Think there are about 8 video's or so. When I learnt basecamp it was these that made the difference. The absolute must is watch them in order and pay particular attention to episode one and set up basecamp and Nav correctly, failure to do this will cause problems.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/455445-Some-good-BaseCamp-tutorial-videos

The above from Wonkey donkey is true, not least as I remember his posts as he worked his way through the process. Yes, it requires effort, something that does not fit too well with some people or the plug’n’play brigade.

BaseCamp, like its predecessor Mapsource, is very simple on one level. It will give you a route from A to B in seconds, which you can export to a Garmin device and it will work. No question about it. Using the shaping tool to drag the magenta line so that it follows the roads you want to take (as opposed to the roads the software wants to take) requires a little effort and a small amount of learning but it’s not hard. Finding how the preferences (avoid motorways, avoid unmade roads, choose ‘motorcycling’, use ‘windy roads’) all work together also requires some learning and remembering. Once learnt, it’s easy. Anyone, as Wonkey proves, can do it.

Once done, you can go into the really powerful stuff the software and your Garmin GPS can do. Lots of these powers have been added because bikers demanded them, so they maybe only have themselves to blame. You can learn about waypoints and shaping points, the powers that live in ‘route properties’, the differences between tracks and routes and how to work with both. You can learn how to share routes with your friends reliably and how to help them with their very powerful GPS device.... as they haven’t bothered and they can’t be arsed.

Failing any of that, they can use their very powerful GPS device, not for its intended purpose but as a home infotainment system, alongside their phone, bike to bike, Bluetooth, weather app, what lean angle they obtained, their average and real time MPG, their average and maximum speeds, how often they have applied their brakes and as an expensive speedo, along with the music and the fancy instrument systems on their state of the art awsome steed, none of which they can survive without on any ride.... but from the other section, these all bring a whole raft of problems of their own.

PS For everything else, there is the sticky about getting it off your chest

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/459554-BaseCamp-is-shite-Get-it-off-your-chest-here

and indeed the pub’s rant section. Use both.

PPS None of this is new. Years ago there was an excellent thread called something like ‘Mapsource for dummies’.

If you want to use the sat nav as a straightforward A to B device, there's no need to touch Basecamp at all, or indeed any software programme or app on a computer. Find the destination on the device screen, press go...

If you want the better functionality of Basecamp, it is worth sticking with it. When I switched from Mapsource I felt exactly the same as you do now, but if you (a) watch the tutorial videos and (b) struggle through the online instructions from Garmin, it soon clicks. Software designed by the people who made you device, specifically for that device, makes sense even if it isn't the most intuitive.

If you use a different app or website - Kurviger, Google Maps, etc - you run the risk of it making a stupid error so you need to check the route carefully or risk being sent on a wild goose chase at some point in the future.

I think we have become so accustomed to "plug and play" items that require no practice or familiarisation that when faced with the need to sit down and read soem instructions, we think it's a huge hardship. It isn't just kids who have developed a short attention span. :D

If you want to use the sat nav as a straightforward A to B device, there's no need to touch Basecamp at all, or indeed any software programme or app on a computer. Find the destination on the device screen, press go...

If you want the better functionality of Basecamp, it is worth sticking with it. When I switched from Mapsource I felt exactly the same as you do now, but if you (a) watch the tutorial videos and (b) struggle through the online instructions from Garmin, it soon clicks. Software designed by the people who made you device, specifically for that device, makes sense even if it isn't the most intuitive.

If you use a different app or website - Kurviger, Google Maps, etc - you run the risk of it making a stupid error so you need to check the route carefully or risk being sent on a wild goose chase at some point in the future.

I think we have become so accustomed to "plug and play" items that require no practice or familiarisation that when faced with the need to sit down and read soem instructions, we think it's a huge hardship. It isn't just kids who have developed a short attention span. :D

The whole issue with Basecamp, is you have to spend time to learn it. If you only occasionally plot routes, you forget how to use it. I switched to My Route App and have found it brilliant and easy to use. You will not make a stupid error as you call it either, well unless your a complete muppet and if you are, you will get yourself into more trouble with Basecamp. If you pay the subscription, it is also supported, unlike Basecamp now. But if you have taken the time to learn Basecamp it works very well :)

Daz If you want a simple route planning option its on the device in Apps,
Trip planner is much more than A to B , adding start and finish or shaping points is easy,
You choose from Adress, favourites, history, places of interest inc ports,
or zoom the map search to where you want and touch the screen to select that point,
The order can be shuffled, added to or deleted and auto optimised, and you can name the trip,
I usually choose tolls motorway avoid/ use options in the general settings first,
Select a start point add any main stops and a destination let it calculate then edit ,
use as many shaping points as you need by choosing roads places you want to include, to get the desired route,
It really is easy to use does all i have needed and no other equipment required,
Shared routes with other bikers using garmin ,done on trip planner dont seem to have the issues other formats have,
Basecamp and all the other route planning systems are no doubt very good ,
not saying this is better,
Just pointing out there is a very easy useful option built into the device that does a good job ,
and worth a look if youre struggling with the other computer based programs,
Roamer

Google: google to Garmin or something really simple like that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qe5zEQWcdRU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fExzndcFSAU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GJsjGaLq4yc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Three simple words....

Am all over the videos & practising tomorrow :D

The only thing that bugs me with BC is the post route planning...

Now it may be me ( it probably is lol) but i can do it with other nav apps but not BC

I want to go to Dent, so i put in my home address, and my destination, and i get a route.

I have a quick persuse, and it looks good, now i want to add some tweaks, and this is where BC falls over miserably.

I want to know what petrol stations are on my route, not off my route, not near my route, but on the roads it's identified as my route .

It cant do it. or if it can its bloody difficult.

I have to pick a point on my route and ask it what fuel stations are nearby.

Then work out the miles from either my start point or the last fuel stop to make sure i can get to it without running out of fuel.

Then you find one of the ones youve picked isnt actually on your route, but requires a detour!!

Why is something this simple so difficult ? Was BC set up for horse & cart?

Sometimes people dont want curvy or super curvy routes, or want to go off grid spoon carving,

They just want to go from A to B with the fastest route and the least fuss :)

Just how small is your fuel tank, that you need to plot out (in advance) fuel stops on a given route between West Sussex and Dent? Taking wiggly (non-motorway) but resaonably direct roads, Kurviger shows that as 450 miles *, passing through (or close to) such towns as: Slough, Luton, Bedford, Peterborugh, Sleaford, Scunthorpe and Bradford. I'm not a gambling man, but I'd put a tenner on finding a fuel station (probably several) along the way without too much trouble.

If it's any help, I took a bunch of Tossers on a 'Wander' into France on my HP4, them on GS's, right up to the mighty GSA. The HP4 tank is 16 litres, half the size of a GSA. At the end of each 250 to 300 mile (non-motorway) day we were all there at the hotel. Did I know in advance where a fuel station for me (if not them) might be and whether it would be open? Of course not. My MegaMoto's tank is I think 13 litres, I went several times to France on that, too.

*Direct, fastest route is 300 miles by Google

PS In BaseCamp, zoom in and it will display fuel stations just as well as it can display cash point machines and restaurants. Pick one that (to an educated eye) looks like it's at about the right distance. There is no gurantee that it will be there or even open when you get there but that is not Garmin's fault; Texaco or whoever have not bothered to tell NavTec (who make the maps) that the station shut in 1908.

I think I never planned fuel stops in my life.
I'm still here.

Protip: when in Europe, fuel station are a bit evenly distributed than in the UK.

I think I never planned fuel stops in my life.
I'm still here.

Protip: when in Europe, fuel station are a bit evenly distributed than in the UK.

They just want to go from A to B with the fastest route and the least fuss

You don't really need BC in that case.

Put the destination in your sat nav, let it route.
Then search again for Point Of Interest > Fuel > along my active route.

Done.

My route app

Forget Basecamp, MyRouteapp, much more user friendly....

I concur that Myroute App works for me, its very easy to use and plan your routes and then save them on your computer and then drop them into your sat nav in the right folder.

However, and I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have some problems along the way, which I've worked around but it seems a little long winded. If anyone can help then I'd be very appreciative:

1) I download a route from the website Bestbiking roads, as a GPX file, or perhaps a couple of routes in the same area.
2) I then open them in Myroute App and alter them or join them together to make one route, then I save the route(s) again as a GPX file on my computer and drop them into the sat nav

The problem I encounter is that when I download the route from Bestbiking Roads, it then wont load into Myroute App because it has far too many waypoints (my Route App only allow 200). the work around I have to do is open it in TYRE (a free software which is the preambler to My route App), select a load of waypoints and take them out without affecting the route, so it can be uploaded into My Route App...............Is there an easier way tan this?

Secondly, when I've played around with the route in MyRoute app, it may for example have then 50 waypoints, and I save it. Each of these is clearly given a number and a location by My Route App. So I then think game on its completed.

But when I save it and then put it in my sat nav (Nav V) and load it up through trip planner, the waypoints are named as they were in the original route and in TYRE. You would think they should then be 1,2,3, etc and have the names given to them by My route app, But the sequence is bizarre; Perhaps a name, then waypoint 311, then waypoint 420..........I wonder why this happens.

Any help or feedback would be great, boring as I am I like to design routes and make life easy for myself on the road, knowing I'm pretty much going to do some cracking roads, with the only deviations being of my making if I like the look of a nearby road.

I hope the above diatribe makes sense!!

cheers Ali

I concur that Myroute App works for me, its very easy to use and plan your routes and then save them on your computer and then drop them into your sat nav in the right folder.

However, and I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have some problems along the way, which I've worked around but it seems a little long winded. If anyone can help then I'd be very appreciative:

1) I download a route from the website Bestbiking roads, as a GPX file, or perhaps a couple of routes in the same area.
2) I then open them in Myroute App and alter them or join them together to make one route, then I save the route(s) again as a GPX file on my computer and drop them into the sat nav

The problem I encounter is that when I download the route from Bestbiking Roads, it then wont load into Myroute App because it has far too many waypoints (my Route App only allow 200). the work around I have to do is open it in TYRE (a free software which is the preambler to My route App), select a load of waypoints and take them out without affecting the route, so it can be uploaded into My Route App...............Is there an easier way tan this?

Secondly, when I've played around with the route in MyRoute app, it may for example have then 50 waypoints, and I save it. Each of these is clearly given a number and a location by My Route App. So I then think game on its completed.

But when I save it and then put it in my sat nav (Nav V) and load it up through trip planner, the waypoints are named as they were in the original route and in TYRE. You would think they should then be 1,2,3, etc and have the names given to them by My route app, But the sequence is bizarre; Perhaps a name, then waypoint 311, then waypoint 420..........I wonder why this happens.

Any help or feedback would be great, boring as I am I like to design routes and make life easy for myself on the road, knowing I'm pretty much going to do some cracking roads, with the only deviations being of my making if I like the look of a nearby road.

I hope the above diatribe makes sense!!

cheers Ali

Why not just raise a ticket with My Route App support, they are very good at coming back, assume you have searched the help support database as well. I am also assuming you are using a paid copy and not the free option, which doesn't have all the add ons :)

Why not just raise a ticket with My Route App support, they are very good at coming back, assume you have searched the help support database as well. I am also assuming you are using a paid copy and not the free option, which doesn't have all the add ons :)

Cheers will do, I'll sort that now, much appreciated. i thought I would have had to trawl through all the tutorials. Cheers Ali

The whole issue with Basecamp, is you have to spend time to learn it. If you only occasionally plot routes, you forget how to use it. I switched to My Route App and have found it brilliant and easy to use. You will not make a stupid error as you call it either, well unless your a complete muppet and if you are, you will get yourself into more trouble with Basecamp. If you pay the subscription, it is also supported, unlike Basecamp now. But if you have taken the time to learn Basecamp it works very well :)

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting the user makes a stupid mistake; just the possibility that in the transfer from one app to another the software might throw up a silly error that results in a ridiculous route, needless detour, or missed POI. That can definitely happen with Kurviger, which is the only app I've tried to create a route and transfer to Garmin unit.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting the user makes a stupid mistake; just the possibility that in the transfer from one app to another the software might throw up a silly error that results in a ridiculous route, needless detour, or missed POI. That can definitely happen with Kurviger, which is the only app I've tried to create a route and transfer to Garmin unit.

I haven't encountered any issues so far. If the route is correct in My Route App, it transfers exactly the same. If you have a subscription, you can also check the route in Tom Tom, Google maps etc and compare and adjust to the different maps, so if you share the route with others, it will be the same on all devices. You can export in many formats as well, but not .trp which is a co pilot file, but you can save in a format that will convert to a co pilot route. Only know this as my mate uses co pilot as a routing app :)

Back
Top Bottom