Nav 6 'loosing' route created in MyRoute app

spm0912

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced this??

A route planned on MyRouteApp, uploaded onto a Nav 6 with the straight line correction done. Suddenly 'looses' route, then recalculates using part of planned route and adds fastest route to final waypoint to make almost twice the journey length. Happened on 3 nav 6s using same planned route but not on a 550 and 595. reset planned route multiple times but after a while the same thing would happen again. I've used this combination for a year on multiple trips without seeing this issue. It started whilst under storm clouds, I have had GPS glitches when there is thick cloud cover but never this. Done a net search but can't find similar problems. The fact the older Garmin models worked OK points to the Nav 6 being the culprit but can't see why that would be the case.

I don't rely on GPS and I'm well aware of their limitations but I often plan complex routes that would be impractical to just use a map. Just trying to understand why this happened so I can either work round it or use other means if it is related to weather conditions

Thanks

I don't know the answer myself, but Wapping may be along to add some clarity shortly.....

I use nav6 and my route, finding it really good . There’s been a couple of threads here lately on the my route app. When uploading the route to the nav they recommend turning off auto calculation. You obviously have that on, if the route is recalculating ? There’s some good vids of how to upload on the my route support page.

Recently I have been uploading as a file under GpX 1.0 not GPX 1.1 and when connecting to the nav I didn’t choose the BMW navigator , I choose GPX1.0 again. This loads as a route with waypoints if required.

I use nav6 and my route, finding it really good . There’s been a couple of threads here lately on the my route app. When uploading the route to the nav they recommend turning off auto calculation. You obviously have that on, if the route is recalculating ? There’s some good vids of how to upload on the my route support page.

Recently I have been uploading as a file under GpX 1.0 not GPX 1.1 and when connecting to the nav I didn’t choose the BMW navigator , I choose GPX1.0 again. This loads as a route with waypoints if required.

No, always have auto recalculate off. The whole planned route just disappeared but it must remember the final way point and just auto routes to that using whatever algorithm you have set in the nav. As an aside another little idiosyncrasy of the trip planner is if you are not actually on the magenta line when you hit go to the final waypoint it will also route you via whatever route preferences you have set in your device. But I think you have a point about Gpx 1.0, the older Zumo's use that and didn't have a problem. I like MyRouteApp, been using it since it started but it's not perfect and it takes time to really get to grips with it (just like Basecamp!). Good as it is you need to back it up with a map and thorough knowledge of where you are going. That way you will quickly spot when things aren't right. Slavishly following your GPS will bite you in the arse at some point!

As an aside another little idiosyncrasy of the trip planner is if you are not actually on the magenta line when you hit go to the final waypoint it will also route you via whatever route preferences you have set in your device

The device is doing what it is you are telling it to do.

You have asked it to take you to an end point, which migh be several hundred miles away. The device simply sees it as a single destination, not as anything else. So, it will take you there by the most efficient way it can, according to your preferences.

I don't know the answer myself, but Wapping may be along to add some clarity shortly.....

If I read the opening post correctly, something is causing the device to crash whilst running the route, forcing a second recalculation, after which only the last section (up to the end point only) is then corrupted. Is that correct?

I don’t use the MyRoute app to create routes, so I can’t help. My guess is that that the MyRoute route, created outside of Garmin’s own software (BaseCamp or Mapsource) brings with it (or doesn’t bring with it) some additional ‘stuff’ that the Nav VI cannot read (or, if it’s missing, something that it needs to read) for some reason or other.

At some point (I guess early in the piece) the device made a correct and accurate recalculation to change a series of straight lines into a magenta line that followed roads. Quite why it then was forced to crash and make a second recalculation, after which it could not render the last section correctly, I have no idea. Try the MyRoute website’s forum or contact their help desk.

As the problem only seems to involve the final leg of the route, up to the final destination, I’d suggest making the final leg (between the one from last waypoint / shaping point and the end destination) as short as possible. That’s the only workaround I can think of.

PS The only time I have regularly seen a route crashing and a forced recalculation taking place, was when I had Garmin’s map AND an Open Street Map loaded at into the device. Inadvertently, I had ticked both sets of maps. This meant that, despite showing the Garmin map on the screen, it was maybe trying to run the route along the OSM map at the same time. Unticking one of the sets of maps cured this self-inflicted error.

Back
Top Bottom