Guzzi's....they really do get under your skin.

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sadly I was introduced to Guzzi's at a fairly late stage in my life. I think I was 58, I'm now 63, but being a bike whore I've already had 7 Guzzi's, very soon to be 8. Anyway I digress.
I first saw the pics of The V85tt back in 2017 and really liked the look of it. At one point Guzzi did officially announce that the would be releasing the V85 to coincide with their centenary celebrations in 2021, this announcement changed very quickly to 2019.

I knew straightaway that if it was released in 2021, I'd be having one and thought that it would coincide nicely with my coming of age at 65 and the possible need for a lighter bike. So I ordered one of the new Tiger 1200's which would take me nicely up to my 65th birthday. In the meantime it was announced that the V85 would be released in 2019 so I'd sort of put the idea of the V85 on hold, although I had put down a deposit to get an early test ride.

I took delivery of the Tiger last August and it really is a fantastic bike. In the meantime I bought a Breva 1100 ,again a lovely bike, but I'd always really fancied an 1100 Griso and was always on the lookout. A Griso came along, as it does, so the Breva went and the Griso came into my fold. The Griso really is a lovely bike, just like riding a proper motorbike and I do feel like I'm 18 again when I'm on it. Anyone who doesn't smile and feel everything is all right with the world when riding that lovely wave of torque has got to be dead.
So, fast forward to earlier this year and the call comes that the V85 is available to ride. I'd sort of resigned myself to the fact that, I'd ride it, like it, but would get my deposit back and wait a while. Who was I kidding, rode it loved it, and before I knew the order was placed and the Griso was going in part/ex.
Riding home on the Griso the seed of doubt was already creeping in. But I was strong and put the Griso up for sale, hoping to find a discerning owner rather than it going in P/Ex.
To cut a really long story into just a long story. I just couldn't bring myself to part with the Griso but couldn't afford the new V85 and the Griso. I did toy with the idea of PCP, but it's just not my thing, I do like to own my bikes.

Returning from the Dales last Thursday with a mate from New Zealand (who is also a Guzzi fan)He wanted to call in at Teasdales to see the V85 as he hasn't seen it yet. They where good enough to let him take it out for a ride, I stayed behind for a coffee and chat.
I vowed I would never have another GS. But when I left Teasdales I'd done a deal. I get to keep the Griso I get to take delivery of the V85 with the extras I'd ordered. The downside, the Tiger 1200 is going to them, but a very nice 2016 1200gs Triple Black TE is coming to me.
Am I mad ? Who knows, only time will tell. The Tiger 1200, whilst a cracking piece of kit, was at the end of the day a tool. The Guzzi's feel more emotive. The GS is a fine motorcycle and I just hope I'm not plagued with similar problems to my last one.

Anyway, that's got that off my chest, and made me feel a bit better. :blast:green gri:)

No known cure for this illness / affliction, that is motorcycling.
Only medication is to keep doing it.

:thumb

No known cure for this illness / affliction, that is motorcycling.
Only medication is to keep doing it.

:thumb

Thanks Dr Ash.... Think I've got one of those new afflictions they've been talking about. Could be 'MAS' otherwise known as, Motorcycle addiction syndrome. Oh hang on, I've had that all my life.:green gri

I near as damn it, died due to a bike accident in 2005 & have to many ongoing injuries to list.
But even that didn't stop me from biking.

It cost me, my job, relationship, house & most of all my health.
But when I ride, I get that buzz that nothing else gives me.

The only time I feel like everybody else is when I ride my bike.
Can't say it dosent hurt, because it does.
But it does wonders to my mental health.

The time I spend in the garage fettling & rebuilding bikes.
Helps to use some of the endless time I have.
And I'm convinced that using my hands & arms in the garage doing no end of good for me.

Roll on June 9th, when the Picos beckons....

I near as damn it, died due to a bike accident in 2005 & have to many ongoing injuries to list.
But even that didn't stop me from biking.

It cost me, my job, relationship, house & most of all my health.
But when I ride, I get that buzz that nothing else gives me.

The only time I feel like everybody else is when I ride my bike.
Can't say it dosent hurt, because it does.
But it does wonders to my mental health.

The time I spend in the garage fettling & rebuilding bikes.
Helps to use some of the endless time I have.
And I'm convinced that using my hands & arms in the garage doing no end of good for me.

Roll on June 9th, when the Picos beckons....

Respect Ash...crack on mate.

I’ve been waiting for your “I’ve collected my V85TT “ post Steve. Went riding with a mate last weekend and saw my first one on the road parked up in LLANGOLLEN as we rode past so didn’t get to speak to the owner but it looked pretty with all the luggage on too. Still not sat on one in a dealer.

I fully agree about Guzzi’s. My 1200 Sport in 2011 was a quick impulse purchase , I’d never even considered buying a Guzzi before nor knew much about them but having owned one instantly became a Guzzi fan . Couldn’t bring myself to sell it when I bought my more comfortable DCT Crosstourer in 2016 so kept it but in 2017/2018 the Guzzi did just 3 miles between MOTs so early last year it had to go . The V85tt is just the thing to replace the Sport so it’s a shame it wasnt available a couple of years ago as I’d probably not bought the Honda. Unfortunately my DCT Crosstourer is just so good; smooth , quick, comfortable , effortless (it even sounds pretty damn good ) that I think I’d miss it a lot except for the weight . I’m now up to 24k miles on the CT.

Looking forward to hearing more about how you get on with the V85tt :thumb2

Bit confused by your post though , you’ve sold the TEX, kept the Griso and bought a V85tt AND a GS ... is that right ?

Ian

'you’ve sold the TEX, kept the Griso and bought a V85tt AND a GS ... '

Manmaths at its best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bit confused by your post though , you’ve sold the TEX, kept the Griso and bought a V85tt AND a GS ... is that right ?

Ian

Correct...I've P/ex the Tiger 1200 (no longer known as the Explorer) for a 2016 R1200gs Triple Black TE with full luggage, looks like a new bike, Sadly the Vario luggage rather than alloy. The cash coming my way from the deal will go straight off the cost of the V85, which will enable me to keep the Griso, All done with the same dealer. The Griso was going in P/ex for the V85, but this deal has allowed me to keep the Griso. I just couldn't quite afford the V85 and to keep the Griso, but the extra cash coming my way from the Tiger GS deal has allowed me to afford it. I don't like finance or PCP.
I could have waited a few month's, but I've never been known for my patience. In some ways, although I think the Tiger is a better bike than the GS, I'm looking forward to owning a GS again and it is 5 years since I've owned one so maybe they've come on a bit.
I can find another Tiger 1200 if I don't like GS, but I would have struggled to find another Griso 1100 as nice as mine.

As for the V85, it's hopefully going to be here next week, I've had to wait a bit longer for the Rosso Kalahari colour scheme. Teasdales in Thirsk have delivered 14 V85's with another 7 on order. Hoping to get to Dent on mine, can't wait to chuck it around the Dales. Just had a couple of days around the Dales on the Tiger 1200, fantastic , but it was a bit of a beast at times.

As for the V85, it's hopefully going to be here next week, I've had to wait a bit longer for the Rosso Kalahari colour scheme. Teasdales in Thirsk have delivered 14 V85's with another 7 on order. Hoping to get to Dent on mine, can't wait to chuck it around the Dales. Just had a couple of days around the Dales on the Tiger 1200, fantastic , but it was a bit of a beast at times.[/QUOTE]

Might see you in Teasdales next week there’s a bike I’m going to look at!

We’re going to need some picture of all these bikes

As for the V85, it's hopefully going to be here next week, I've had to wait a bit longer for the Rosso Kalahari colour scheme. Teasdales in Thirsk have delivered 14 V85's with another 7 on order. Hoping to get to Dent on mine, can't wait to chuck it around the Dales. Just had a couple of days around the Dales on the Tiger 1200, fantastic , but it was a bit of a beast at times.

That’s the colour scheme I like the most too. Hope to see you on it at Dent then :thumb

selling bikes ,no,no,no ....just get a bigger garage , OR , store them round the side of your friends house and pull them out when you want one.

Good one Steve (wrinkleyowlie) :thumb

Good one Ash :thumb

I bought a brand new BSA A65L when I joined the WRC back in 1965

The second new 'bike I bought was an R1100RS in 1995 when I retired ... this was too be my final 'bike :thumb

Ha ha ha ... I've had about nine since then :D

Wrinkleyowlie at Dent last years ....

i-gdbLhgj-L.jpg

Enjoy the 'bike Steve :thumb

:beerjug:

How much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Only jesting , kind of. Tempted to drop to 4 bikes as so much easier to move in garage . It was great in Brittany but the riding position did get uncomfortable after a while due to a medical condition I’m probably stuck with .its nice to potter on locally though

Good one Steve (wrinkleyowlie) :thumb

Good one Ash :thumb

I bought a brand new BSA A65L when I joined the WRC back in 1965

The second new 'bike I bought was an R1100RS in 1995 when I retired ... this was too be my final 'bike :thumb

Ha ha ha ... I've had about nine since then :D

Wrinkleyowlie at Dent last years ....

i-gdbLhgj-L.jpg

Enjoy the 'bike Steve :thumb

:beerjug:

Nine ??

Think I’ve had 15 or so since I got divorced in 2015 !

Nice Stelvio !

Bloody things.

Just decided on a Lord of the Rings 'One bike to rule them all' strategy and along you come with your fancy plans:mad:

Enjoy:thumb2

Buy um, sell um, luv um, hate um...
Buy a wreck, do it up...
Loose your shirt on um, if you can afford too. ( And sometimes even if you can't ) :D

Move Inventory, sell inventory, swap inventory, hide inventory ( done that a few times ) :D...

Do whatever floats your boat, we are here for such a short time...
And you can't play motorcycling from your grave..

Fecking boring world without um... :thumb

Back
Top Bottom