Insurance cock up

MickDB1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have had a cock up with my insurance and I have maybe been driving without cover since February (It could be they got reg wrong or even cancelled one part of my policy ie. the car) who sorts all the flack out???.
I have not had an accident or owt but I found out with the aid of local Spanish police and being taken 2-1/2 hrs at their station.
The vehicle car DID come up uninsured on the MID data base. PC Pedro shown it to me.
I think the only reason they let us go was the fact the docs had 2 bikes on it and they came back insured on the police computer
Before you ask or think = I paid the premium in full on 26th Jan and have received no other letters from anyone up to our departure on the 5th April - We are here till Mid May so I cant check for fines etc. = do yer recon there will be any?????
My documents said I was insured from Feb 9th till next Feb 8th next year.
Any ideas or tips where to go please ?????????.
My tip is to check before you travel the ask MID site
Carry all telephone numbers in yer phone as STD and not freephone 0800 as on the certificates = No worky
Cheers for help and comments

Unfortunately the insurers always fall back on the caveat of the onus being on the policyholder to ensure that they are on the MID database.
Total cop out, and there are still some folk who aren't on the internet, and probably many who are on it but don't know about the MID.

I had several instances of letters from MID saying that a few of my bikes weren't on their database, despite being currently insured.
It took me several phone calls and emails to my insurer before this was corrected.

The best you'll probably get from your insurer is a pithy apology, but as you've seen, what is their error for not entering your details can land you in deep shit.

Unfortunately the insurers always fall back on the caveat of the onus being on the policyholder to ensure that they are on the MID database.
Total cop out, and there are still some folk who aren't on the internet, and probably many who are on it but don't know about the MID.

I had several instances of letters from MID saying that a few of my bikes weren't on their database, despite being currently insured.
It took me several phone calls and emails to my insurer before this was corrected.

The best you'll probably get from your insurer is a pithy apology, but as you've seen, what is their error for not entering your details can land you in deep shit.

I agree with Tarka above I have a multi bike policy and at renewal they included all bikes , but didn’t advise MID about one of them. So letters start coming , your vehicle isnt insured , you can be fined ......... The broker Potato Nash were most laid back about it and I think I had to ring up 3 times as they kept telling me it would take 48 hours to update, total boll.... So get on their backs and as suggested above do so in writing

Thanks lads for the help and tips/advice. Thanks Richard for your great offer. I was very lucky that another good mate Geoff was at home when we were detained. It took the company till 1700 UK time to send an e-mail to Geoff who forwarded it to me and the police in Aguilas. The car went back on the MID database at around 1800 as insured and when we checked next day at 1500 It was back showing uninsured. Quite well pissed off and Janet was still upset and not happy going out in car in case we got pulled again.
Hopefully we're still insured on DB today.
Good news is its sunny and warm
Thanks
Mick & Janet

Thanks lads for the help and tips/advice. Thanks Richard for your great offer. I was very lucky that another good mate Geoff was at home when we were detained. It took the company till 1700 UK time to send an e-mail to Geoff who forwarded it to me and the police in Aguilas. The car went back on the MID database at around 1800 as insured and when we checked next day at 1500 It was back showing uninsured. Quite well pissed off and Janet was still upset and not happy going out in car in case we got pulled again.
Hopefully we're still insured on DB today.
Good news is its sunny and warm
Thanks
Mick & Janet
You can also advise them, that you're going to make formal complaint to ICO over failure to keep accurate records, which is a gdpr requirement.

Do a SAR, and make sure you get screenshots/telephone logs/internal comms, which they often "forget" to provide. It'll show you who did what/when or in this case not.

The going sum is between £500-£800 as compensation from courts.

I am aware of a case ongoing against MID, re gdpr, hopefully there maybe a decision soon.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thank you very very much folks
I have all ready informed them via email this morning I was going to take advice on my return
What a great site for help when yer need it :thumby::bow

cheers
Mick

Dont get me started on that feckin database...

its a licence to print fines totally useless, looked at by plod and treated as gospel grrr

The insurance was due for renewal on the GS this year ...

i left it in the end, as i couldnt find cheaper, and as it was set to auto renew i wasnt too worried.

Then the spidey sense started tingling, and i thought id do a quick check online --

Bike not insured, doom, gloom, fines and dire consequences awaited me....

So i logged into my online acc. to find i had a message

Dear Santa,
we have been trying to contact you with no success , to arange payment for the policy renewal for your sled

If we dont recieve payment in 11 days, we wil cancel the policy...

so i have 11 days insurance , & valid cover note - but according to the online check, no insurance.

I phoned them and had a quick chat, total friendly, made a policy ammendment and paid the new premium.

I asked why it was showing as canceled when they were saying i had 11 days grace ?

Apparntly its the way the system is set up, and it automatically reports its findings to Dvla on a regular basis ( hence the fines ).

Another usless sytem set up with good intentions, but only hurts the law abiding,

I had an invite to auto renew with one of the usual brokers which after a chat with them I renewed with a different insurance co through the same broker. Docs came through detailing incorrect alarm/immobiliser and requirement to securely lock bike with chain whenever I left the bike- [even if I left it to get a coffee at a bikers cafe etc]. They came back and reissued docs with correct factory fit alarm and chain endorsement removed. That was at the start of March.
Returned from a few days away a month later to find a letter advising they had cancelled my policy! A call to them said that i would have been covered as it was an admin error(wouldn’t want to rely on that if I’d ploughed into a line of kids at a bus stop)

Had to pay for another policy-no option apparently, before I got my refunded premium returned to my bank although it did hit my bank later that day.

No one can tell me why it was cancelled and I have just had a letter back from their complaints dept advising the same and offering a bit of compensation (approx 50% of the premium amount). Didn’t ask for any compo and would rather not have had the hassle tbh. But what a bunch of w&nkers....

Returned from a few days away a month later to find a letter advising they had cancelled my policy!

No one can tell me why it was cancelled .

They're pretty much all a bunch of shysters and chancers.

I can't help wondering about your plight at subsequent renewals where they ask if you've ever had a policy cancelled.......

I can't help wondering about your plight at subsequent renewals where they ask if you've ever had a policy cancelled.......

That is another thought in the back of my mind Tarka
ask MID has informed me that the cant tell me if they have sent any letters to my home - thats handy - they did inform me I can fill a DSAR form in for information request and gave me a link to the page - very good - I am on holiday in Spain, didnt think to put a printer in me bag and then I have to sign and post it to them - quicker to walk back than Spanish Postal service.
Its all a cock up I know but I am resourceful and maybe handier than yer average client in dealing will this shite.
I too just want to pay may fees, get the docs, travel with cover and expect their end to be as professional as my quick payment was
If I get a letter saying all this is not on any bad debt/customer database how do I know !!!!!!!!!
Thanks lads
Lucky to be on this site and have you lot for sure

I did ask that question and they said I could state truthfully ‘no’ as it was an admin error and not anything due to me personally

I did ask that question and they said I could state truthfully ‘no’ as it was an admin error and not anything due to me personally

I would like to think when that question comes up The correct answer would be I have not had a policy cancelled because of any fault of mine but by a error by the company I paid my fee to. That way you are telling the truth and cannot be had up for not stating correct facts.I personally have no issues with putting folks on a database when they have insurance. Just that if that is the case it should be correct at all times (which is almost impossible I recon). I also cant understand how I managed to Tax the vehicle nearly 2 months after the insurance lady on the phone told both me, and my mate Geoff in another call, that my car part of my policy was cancelled in error. When you go online to DVLA punch yer renewal number in it asks if they can check you on the database for MOT and insurance. = Is that site compromised and telling porkies tooo !!!!!
thanks for the helpful posts and text to me offering help too.

Thanks to this thread I ran a check on 3 vehicles I insure and one showed up as uninsured although it was mot'd in march and I thought the vehicle had to be taxed and insured to get an mot, last certificate expired was nov 2018, thougt it auto renewed thankfully the car is being restored and is not on the road but wanted insurance in any case, will investigate when they open at 9am

I had all my documents JB. All car mot and log book passports etc. Policeman kept showin me a page on his hand held compuer do dah. It showd a page which was or identical too the Ask MID checker. He said more than once. You in big problem. I get Grua to recover car to compound and you get denuncia. Thats a court summons I beleave. Only my later thinking at the cop shop did I find the schedual with the 2 bikes on the policy. Haxing gambled and hoping they would come up OK. They did and they let us out. I later sent them a email from my broker which dated my replacement/maybe new policy started at 0001 that day. Do many folks take all the bloody paperwork. Cop said certificate no good as anyone could have printrd that. You cant argue naff all over her.

Thanks to this thread I ran a check on 3 vehicles I insure and one showed up as uninsured although it was mot'd in march and I thought the vehicle had to be taxed and insured to get an mot, last certificate expired was nov 2018, thougt it auto renewed thankfully the car is being restored and is not on the road but wanted insurance in any case, will investigate when they open at 9am
No, you can take an untaxed and uninsured vehicle, to a prebooked mot. As long as driver/rider is insured to drive/ride another vehicle not owned/under HP agreement to them (no mention of pcp !).

I took younger sons car for mot last week, which gets insured/taxed from 1st May.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

No, you can take an untaxed and uninsured vehicle, to a prebooked mot. As long as driver/rider is insured to drive/ride another vehicle not owned/under HP agreement to them (no mention of pcp !).

I took younger sons car for mot last week, which gets insured/taxed from 1st May.

You can't take an uninsured vehicle anywhere (unless it's on a trailer and doesn't touch a public road)

Back
Top Bottom