Heated Grips

sye

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been reading threads about heated grips before deciding which ones to buy. There seems to be a choice of quite a few and would like to hear from anyone who has run a set for a number of years and can recommend them. The current grips are on 22mm bars and around 122mm long. I have looked at the following:

Oxford Touring: 120mm long with loads of failed controllers reported.
Daytona: Japanese made and loads of recommendations online but 128mm long.
Symtec head deamon under grip heaters: Maybe I'm missing something but can't see any advantage over heated grips.
R&G: Ride recommended a few years ago with lots of positive reviews.

I'm confused as there's too many to choose from.

I got the OXFORD GRIPS.
Easy to fit. Controller works fine for me, though I noted the reports of failures.
I did get a flat battery on one occasion and I have no idea how. I am assuming the grips didnt automatically turn off, but they have worked fine since, so I am not sure if that is the case.
They are too hot on full, unless I am doing motorway in very cold conditions.
I would recommend them, though I have no knowledge of any of the others.

+1 for the Oxford Touring grips - mine have been on bike a couple of years with no problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oxford.
They have a feature that assess battery charge and charging status, and will switch off to prevent a flat battery.
I have them on my trial bikes also, use in all weathers and conditions. Not had issues thus far.

I previously always fit Daytona's (same make used by Ktm but rebranded) Daytona's get nice and hot and they feel like a normal grip, I have the oxford ones on my AT and having spent the last 2 days in the lakes in torrential rain, with the grips on 40% they are toasty and keep my thin gloves dry, on 70% they really hot.

I've fitted the symtec ones previously and found them not to be very warm.

Oxford get my vote, the grips come fitted onto plastic tubes, to prevent heat loss on the left grip

It is worth considering a set of Yamaha heated grips (they don't have Yamaha printed anywhere on them). The are very neat in that the controls make up a part of the left grip so there is no need for control panels. They wire straight to the battery and have a cut off system that recognises when the ignition is turned off and will turn off the grips (like the Oxford ones). They are a bit more expensive than Oxford but the wiring is much more subtle (the cables are thinner on the grips which means less resistance on the throttle).

I have fitted (myself) both Oxford and Yamaha heated grips. They are both good in that they heat up and work well but the Yamaha ones look more 'OEM'. Just check that the length of the grip matches your bike's.

Neil

Thanks for all of the advice. I went for the Yamaha ones in the end as they don't require a separate controller. They look good, as if they came with the bike although wiring them up is a bit of a PITA. The connectors are full size waterproof jobbies, so getting them through the small gap below the clocks proved challenging.

As an aside, if anyone is looking to replace a throttle tube or the OEM grips, they are an Aprilia part, number GU01603480. For £14.06 plus VAT you get the throttle tube and two grips. Jobs a good un. :thumb

Winter, ha, it was 6c here this morning. Brrr..

Back
Top Bottom