yamaha tracer 900 -> 1200GS LC?

keltis99

Reaction score
So i got the GS bug and started scouring the web for info. My Tracer 900 (2016) is a fantastic bike but i learned that i am rather for more miles, comfort and gadgets (esp since I am 6'3). Thinking of the Alps trip this year too. I am looking to upgrade to 2014-15-16 GS models (even though there is a new tracer 900 GT model outhere which is in the same/cheaper price bracket than the used GSs i am looking.)

Which of the GS year should i aim for - understood that as of 2016 gearbox was upgraded (flywheel?), new ABS fitted? Worth the 2k premium over the 2014 models? I am in the 9-12k budget eur.

Also in Belgium (where I am located) they have the underpowered version of the GS (79kw) - can anyone attest to the feel/frustration of having less power on these bikes?

many thanks
xS

So i got the GS bug and started scouring the web for info. My Tracer 900 (2016) is a fantastic bike but i learned that i am rather for more miles, comfort and gadgets (esp since I am 6'3). Thinking of the Alps trip this year too. I am looking to upgrade to 2014-15-16 GS models (even though there is a new tracer 900 GT model outhere which is in the same/cheaper price bracket than the used GSs i am looking.)

Which of the GS year should i aim for - understood that as of 2016 gearbox was upgraded (flywheel?), new ABS fitted? Worth the 2k premium over the 2014 models? I am in the 9-12k budget eur.

Also in Belgium (where I am located) they have the underpowered version of the GS (79kw) - can anyone attest to the feel/frustration of having less power on these bikes?

many thanks
xS

I would have thought the difference would be like hopping instead of running.:D.

I am an ex Tracer rider. I tried a LC GS (Rallye version) but I think the R1200RS is the better bike. Same gadgets, lighter and quite capable in Alpine territory if staying on something resembling tarmac. I have recently returned from Wales where we found some lovely passes but where the roads flood in winter they were covered in debris or broken up in places and the RS coped as well as a mates Tiger 800.

Go try an R1200RS SE Sport before you commit.

In relation to the difference in gearbox, on the RS it was claimed the 2017-18 versions had an improved gearbox. My bike is a Euro3 2016 bike and I rode a 2018 bike last year as a service loaner and I did not notice anything significant but only rode 50 miles. The cut in for the change on the GS may have been earlier.

I am an ex Tracer rider. I tried a LC GS (Rallye version) but I think the R1200RS is the better bike. Same gadgets, lighter and quite capable in Alpine territory if staying on something resembling tarmac. I have recently returned from Wales where we found some lovely passes but where the roads flood in winter they were covered in debris or broken up in places and the RS coped as well as a mates Tiger 800.

Go try an R1200RS SE Sport before you commit.

In relation to the difference in gearbox, on the RS it was claimed the 2017-18 versions had an improved gearbox. My bike is a Euro3 2016 bike and I rode a 2018 bike last year as a service loaner and I did not notice anything significant but only rode 50 miles. The cut in for the change on the GS may have been earlier.

Thanks! I sat on a R1200RS at a dealer but the bike felt too small for me. I also like the upright riding position plus with 189cm height i must take size into account. I was also looking into XR but a bit worried about the vibration issue.

many thanks
xS

Hi keltis

I’m in France where we were restricted to 79kw until 01/01/2016

Having ridden both versions there is no noticeable difference, the torque remains unaffected, the maximum power is only restricted right at the top of the rev range which is not where the boxer motor spends its time

Before i got the full power GS (92kw) I had a restricted Crosstourer which also felt the same as the UK model

Hi Keltis,

It was only the first year 2013 GS that had the lighter flywheel, the 14 onwards all have the heavier one. Mine is a 15, and as I understand it, the gearboxes have gotten slightly better over the years.

The 14/15 plates are prone to corrosion due to a change in manufacturing technique, that was then changed back :augie so okay after.
My wife’s got a 14 plate and the gearbox was terrible at first but after 24k it all smoothed out and is fine now.
I’d go for a 16 plate if you can afford it.
Funnily, she had a TDM 900 - forerunner of the tracer - for 10 years and loved it. She then bought an F800gs for more off the beaten track ;) - she didn’t gel with it despite doing 30k miles in three and half years.
She absolutely loves her GS LC for all riding including unpaved roads. Go for it, give yourself some time to settle into it, you won’t regret it :thumby:
GLMF

Hi,

I had a Tracer GT, had 3 test rides on an XR, test rode a GS1200 and ended up buying a GS1250! Am 6'1 too so much in common! :)

Tracer GT - fast and agile but several things not to like; screen terrible, fuel gauge daft, key position awkward, quickshifter very agricultural and several more niggles besides. Was glad see the back of it to be honest.

XR - brilliant and very quick indeed. Super brakes, great riding position and the bike I test rode didn't suffer with the vibration issues at all. The only reason I didn't buy one is that my three regular pillions all disliked being on the back; too high up, uncomfortable, too fast and suspension too firm. So I reluctantly gave it back to the dealer and they said, have you tried a GS as it would be perfect for you. I said no thanks as they are not my kind of thing but they persuaded me to have a test ride and the rest is history.

I will leave it to others to advise on the right year and model of GS for you as I am not an expert. I am not sure about the difference in power for the model you mention in Belgium either although I feel the GS could do with a fraction more speed in standard guise anyway.

What I can say though is that the GS with either engine, is absolutely fantastic. Plenty fast enough, really comfortable, beautifully balanced, loads of good tech (especially with the TFT) and capable of fulfilling several roles. Just a brilliant bike. I have test rode a Multistrada and a KTM Adventure since and neither match my GS1250. Best bike I have ever ridden.

Hope this helps.

What a great feedback so far! thank you everyone. i do feel like i am slowly falling out of love with a Tracer and i am on a straight road towards the GS. I am currently looking into 14-15 year models and there are quite a few examples around including in the UK (better prices), Belgium (lower power) and Germany (generally excellent maintenance culture). I tend to gravitate towards the lower mileage bikes (up to 30k km) - most of them come equipped with usual toys ESA etc except of course the panniers which seem to be valued as gold! :nenau

so eventually i went for it and got 2015 GS LC model in Belgium with 27k km. Not an adventure but with full option list incl. keyless, alarm, led etc etc

First impressions? what a bike! after first 50km i understand why GS is valued so much - perfectly balanced, pushes you to take angles, inspires confidence, ESA is a world apart from tracer's suspension. Feels better after properly warmed up. Tracer did feel a little more - especially engine wise - refined, but comfort, weather protection is miles better on a GS. So I am off to explore the GS world!

so eventually i went for it and got 2015 GS LC model in Belgium with 27k km. Not an adventure but with full option list incl. keyless, alarm, led etc etc

First impressions? what a bike! after first 50km i understand why GS is valued so much - perfectly balanced, pushes you to take angles, inspires confidence, ESA is a world apart from tracer's suspension. Feels better after properly warmed up. Tracer did feel a little more - especially engine wise - refined, but comfort, weather protection is miles better on a GS. So I am off to explore the GS world!

Excellent - enjoy :thumby:

Cool, bonne route ;)
(Sorry I don’t speak Flemish)

Back
Top Bottom