Central locking malarky

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got this R1250RT on its way to me sometime in the next week or two, and I managed to secure via this parish one of the fancy new top boxes (secondhand) at an affordable price.

Clearly, the lock set is different from that on the bike, so does anyone know how the central locking works? Is it all electronic, so it works independently of the mechanical locks, meaning I won't have to bother rekeying the top box? I'd rather check on here than ask the dealer for obvious reasons...

Cheers.

On my 1600 the 'central locking' boxes can be locked independently of the mechanical key, using the button on the bars or by using the remote the fob.

I do need the master key to remove the panniers though, as that process is mechanical; or at lesat I think I rember that it is.

I've got this R1250RT on its way to me sometime in the next week or two, and I managed to secure via this parish one of the fancy new top boxes (secondhand) at an affordable price.

Clearly, the lock set is different from that on the bike, so does anyone know how the central locking works? Is it all electronic, so it works independently of the mechanical locks, meaning I won't have to bother rekeying the top box? I'd rather check on here than ask the dealer for obvious reasons...

Cheers.

The short answer is yes, I swapped my box over from my 1200 to my 1250. But my dealer re-keyed it for me, its not a big job, so probably worth doing. The advantage is, you can physically lock the box off the bike if you don't use the top box all the time. You do need the key to remove the panniers, but that will be already keyed to your new bike. That is assuming of course your top box is central locking model, they are all not central locking.

Back
Top Bottom