Tyre removal tools

clutchspring

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi looking for advice on what tools to buy for removal of tyres on a GS while out on the road,
Things like suitable tyre levers / rim protecters , I already have a pump & tools to remove the wheels .
Thanks,

Ian.

Depends what you want. You can get light weight levers long ones short ones plastic coated ect. For me with tubeless tires I have found it unessessary to carry levers. JJH

Should have said that the GS is still running tube's in the tyre's so need to be prepared in the event of a flat .

Thanks.
Ian.

I'm a fan of the motion-pro combi levers. Made of alloy, they combine a ring spanner at one end with a tyre lever at the other. For any other bike the way to go would be to buy levers with the spanner matching the wheel axle nut sizes. For the airhead owner, without a rear axle, they can also be bought with a combined 12/13mm or 10/12mm or spanner.

https://www.zenoverland.com/product-page/motion-pro-t6-combo-tyre-lever-aluminium

Not the cheapest but they work well, are very light and can save the need to carry normal spanners. My only thought is that I haven't tried them yet with the tubeless rim so you might want to check their bead breaker levers instead.

https://www.adventure-spec.com/default/motion-pro-beadpro-tire-bead-breaker-and-lever-tool-set.html

You might also need some form of bead breaker ,yes you can do it with the side stand according to youtube but why struggle. These come in many forms from a plastic wedge that looks like a chisel to Motion Pro BeadPro which come in two length sizes.
c86bb5c1661709a0fe3f30d04885a855.png
8c43787204dc7288cc01d493c837d2f7.png

I recently used the motion pro BeadPro, theyre very light and make bead breaking and tyre removal a doddle. You don't need the long version for a bike.

I use the Motion Pro combi levers which work well. The main problem is breaking the bead - so far I’ve been lucky enough to have been riding with someone who has a suitable sidestand - ktm are best, I find. Some kind of portable bead breaker would be handy.

I used to make a pocket bead breaker as i called it
Designed to break the bead on a airhead
here are some pics i have found
Maglight is so you can see how small it was
The last pic was a adaptation so it also worked on the 1100gs's...Both front and rear
Worked pretty well

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 326
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 343
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 337
A G clamp used in the style of Garry H's tool works perfectly for breaking beads.

Not all G clamps have a big enough neck at the dumb end to get over the rim,.
And unless you have a huge one they are not deep enough to use from the tire side.
Even then they tend to slip down on to the sidewall - with Garry's tool the inner bolt bears against the rim to keep the pincers in place.
So, far from perfect, if you have actually tried to use one!

You might also need some form of bead breaker ,yes you can do it with the side stand according to youtube but why struggle. These come in many forms from a plastic wedge that looks like a chisel to Motion Pro BeadPro which come in two length sizes.
c86bb5c1661709a0fe3f30d04885a855.png
8c43787204dc7288cc01d493c837d2f7.png

I have the same levers. Excellent kit. Not the lightest but definitely good to use.

Not all G clamps have a big enough neck at the dumb end to get over the rim,.
And unless you have a huge one they are not deep enough to use from the tire side.
Even then they tend to slip down on to the sidewall - with Garry's tool the inner bolt bears against the rim to keep the pincers in place.

You don't use the G clamp over the tyre, you fit it under rim inbetween the spokes and upwards, in the same style as the pictures in Garrys post.
I use a small 5-6 inch clamp without any problems.

I do not scour the internet and pass on advice i've picked up from other forums.
I only give advice where i've actually encountered the problem or used the methods i've suggested or done the job myself. I'm not responsible for the kackhandedness of others. :D

:D

I guess we all favour whatever it is we use, some sort of a group test would be good. If anyone in my neck of woods wants to try out a bead pro just PM me. Alternative I guess is for someone to just look at all the youtube videos that must be there for each tool. I e also used g clamp and a woodworking vice in past but the bead pro can also be used for prising the tyre over the rim once you've broken the bead, and they're light, sooo light

Back
Top Bottom