How bad is this- will it last the week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Monkey

Reaction score
Just got back from day 2 of 5 of the annual jolly to jocklandshire and noticed a bit of weepage on the rear hub.

Do I need to fret or can I sort it when I get back home?

It’s a 2006 rt
63d51669f1c0a9ad3e3e408edf19364e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope it fails in “Jocklandshire” - always good revenue for our dealers and bike mechanics. :rob

:flag

That seal failing seems to be a common fault - so much so that any BMW dealer in Jocklandshire may well have a seal in stock. So if your passing near a dealer you may be able to pick one up - and it's only a 10 minute job to dig out the old seal and fit the new one:thumb2

Cheers........................Grizzly:beerjug:

Mr Grizzly is right ... use the Motorad Dealer icon on your sat nav to take you there and I am sure all will be fine.

Mr Grizzly is right ... use the Motorad Dealer icon on your sat nav to take you there and I am sure all will be fine.

Cheers leaving Oban for Ullapool (in a long convoluted way ) I know there’s a dealer in Inverness - will give google a blast and see if I’m going near one

Thanks

I've replaced two of these seals on my gs in the last 3 years. Looks like a lot of oil but it isn't, personally I would be happy to leave it till I got home. I'm not a mechanic though so it's your call.

Unless it starts dripping it will be ok.
There is notalot of oil in it.
It’s not unusual to get a bit of misting from the seal if the bike is ridden all day and at altitude,
Though it’s more common at higher altitudes.
There could be a bit of corrosion creeping onto the area where the seal lip runs,but the seal needs to come out to inspect.
If it starts to drip,best seek a mechanic

It’s not unusual to get a bit of misting from the seal if the bike is ridden all day and at altitude,
Though it’s more common at higher altitudes.

Is that due to air pressure difference? Perhaps a dumb question. Is it a problem, or just leave? Cheers

I fixed my 2004 bikes FD weeping seal by sliding the corner of a sheet of A4 paper into the gap and rotating around it to clear some grit out.

I also had a leaking seal the first time I refilled my FD with 220ml of oil and it expanded when hot. BMW subsequently reduced the refill volume and incorporated a breather to the later bikes, perhaps your was borderline overfilled and got hot ?

I would wipe it dry and keep an eye on it for further leakage.

I’ve had more than a few phone calls from the top of the alps,
The earlier fd didn’t have a breather,and will mist from the seal at altitude due to pressure difference and hot tolerances.

Thanks. Good to know. Does the breather need to be maintained? I seem to remember reading about water getting in from water crossings, although i have never had that problems with fords, albeit none that are above a couple of feet

Thanks. Good to know. Does the breather need to be maintained? I seem to remember reading about water getting in from water crossings, although i have never had that problems with fords, albeit none that are above a couple of feet

My bike sucked water in past the seals due to the sudden quenching through deep floodwater causing the internal pressure of a hot FD to drop, my FD has no breather (2008).

Having changed the milky emulsion found in my FD for fresh oil it has remained clear ever since with no leaks under pressure whilst riding.

Mine looked similar after a couple of weeks of non stop riding. The final drive didn't seem to be getting hot, there were no unpleasant noises, so I carried on and got it fixed when I got home. I did leave it on the sidestand overnight though instead of the centre stand to save the floor where I parked. :D
Mark

Just as an update - I dropped the oil today , all good! No shiny metal bits in the oil!
But there was 200ml of oil left so it was obviously I little too full.

New seal and 180ml put in and all looking good so far!!

Thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom