How to start

Doofus

Reaction score
Dumb question...

Yesterday I noticed the gear indicator on my DCT was flashing, although bike was running fine. Later in the day I had trouble starting it - when pressing the button nothing happened. After a couple of attempts I tried with the front brake held, and it started fine. I’ve had the bike 18 months and don’t remember if I have always needed to hold the brake to start. I’ve had bikes that do need this and bikes that don’t so I may have been doing it without thinking, but my gut feeling is I’ve not needed to hold the brake before.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks, Darren

My X-ADV with DCT needed a brake lever to be pulled in in order to start.
To my knowledge all autos need this.

Can't help with the flashing gear indicator.
Was it flashing while riding?
Maybe check an AT forum or just ask a dealer.

My X-ADV with DCT needed a brake lever to be pulled in in order to start.
To my knowledge all autos need this.

Can't help with the flashing gear indicator.
Was it flashing while riding?
Maybe check an AT forum or just ask a dealer.

Thanks. The flashing was when riding - about twice a second. I did a bit of googling and it seems to indicate something is not right - possibly a speed sensor, but I was thinking suddenly needing to hold the brake to start it might indicate an issue with it knowing what gear it is in. As you say, next stop dealer (maybe after resetting the DCT - I remeber once seeing a website with instructions on how to do it).

Thanks. The flashing was when riding - about twice a second. I did a bit of googling and it seems to indicate something is not right - possibly a speed sensor, but I was thinking suddenly needing to hold the brake to start it might indicate an issue with it knowing what gear it is in. As you say, next stop dealer (maybe after resetting the DCT - I remeber once seeing a website with instructions on how to do it).

Update from journey to work. It started without needing to hold the brake (I kind of thought it had been able to do that over the last 18 months, but wasn't sure), but then didn't display any gear at all for the journey to work (but otherwise worked fine). I turned off and tried restaring when at work and it them wouldn't start without the brake and was back to showing the gear flashing.

I'm not sure how.... but isn't there a reset system on this... I'm sure I heard about a gearbox reset procedure.

You certainly don’t need to put the brake on to start it or at least you shouldn’t have to

Thanks for the replies. I reset the DCT and the first time I started it after that and went up and down the road it was normal (no need to hold brake to start, normal gear indicator). However turning it off and on again put it back to needing to hold the brake to start and the gear indicator flashing when running.

When it is playing up it will start with front or back brake on so it seems a designed in safety feature. My best guess is the bike isn’t sure if it is in neutral and requies brake to be held for safety (quite a neat feature if it is - better that a Suzuki I had that despite being a manual needed the front brake held to start).

Dealer it is!

Just to close off with the outcome... faulty neutral sensor switch (at back of engine apparently) - replaced by dealer with no fuss (not sure it was easy to identify as they initially replaced the switchgear).

Cheers for ideas

Back
Top Bottom