Rukka Nivala

So with the down liner, I assume you must decide before venturing out, how cold you’ll be.

Although the top is simple to put on, the trousers are going to be a faff.

Or does it need to be really cold before you need them?

So far i have found them to be quite good at temp regulation.
Obviously I have not used it in any heat yet and it would be stoopid to wear a down jacket and trousers when its a glorious summer day but as said in previous post i was warm enough at low of 4 deg and not too hot at 8 so i reckon 13 or below the down suit is on !

As for getting it off an on yes the trousers would be a faff but then again not as much faff as zip in liners and the same goes for the jacket. Both the down jacket and trousers do pack up very very small so again a big advantage over traditional zip in liners.

On the reviews the first thoughts were that the down suit seperate to the outer garment was madness but then went on to say it was genius

I have a Nivala, had it just over a year.

I feel the cold. The down inner trousers and top are nothing like as warm as my old Hein Gericke (sp?) so if you want to stay warm, I'd keep looking. I have heard Halvarssons are very warm (but I can't test like for like). I wear hoodie instead of Rukka down jacket as it's warmer.

One thing I did badly (only my fault!) was that wearing it, I thought the trousers were a little long and bunched up. sitting on chair in shop I thought that even when on a bike they'd be too long so I went for short. When I'm on my bike and I move around, the bottom of the trousers gets stuck on top of (Daytona) boots.

They look the part.

In terms of the loan in case of repair, I understood that was provided by Rukka else retailers would do it for other brands, surely?

So your saying the down inner jacket isn't as warm as a zipped in liner? I normally ride with a merino top base layer and a t-shirt, and take a few other thin layers in top box to wear if required.
In relation to hoody I would have thought that would be too bulky, tucking the hood in the jaclet?

It probably depends on whether you feel the cold; I do and I don’t find the inner jacket as warm as a hoodie.
I normally wear an EDZ wicking top (and trousers), a polo shirt and usually a hoodie, then Nirvala jacket. The hood is usually hanging out the back of the jacket.
I usually use the nivala inner trousers; I’ve never overheated in them.

It probably depends on whether you feel the cold; I do and I don’t find the inner jacket as warm as a hoodie.
I normally wear an EDZ wicking top (and trousers), a polo shirt and usually a hoodie, then Nirvala jacket. The hood is usually hanging out the back of the jacket.
I usually use the nivala inner trousers; I’ve never overheated in them.

I am staggered ( no offence meant in any way) that you find a sweatshirt material hoodie warmer than a down jacket

No offence taken; my comments about feeling how the OP felt the cold was intended to mean that we are all different.

As soon as the down jacket gets squashed, it is no longer effective because the fibres no longer trap air. My hoodie is thicker so does trap air. As the nivala outer jacket is wind proof the hoodie insulates me well.
The down jacket feels cold to The touch when wearing it.

I’m pretty confident that I’d need more than the down jacket if I were touring the nordics for example.

OP, I do encourage you to try them on, try other options and see how you feel. Ultimately if most people find them toasty, there’s a good chance you will but I’d be surprised if you felt toasty if it’s close to zero outside.
FWIW, I am/was comfortable wearing jeans, shirt and denim jacket in Death Valley.

Me too Mine are as warm as toast, the only issue I find is that after being on the bike for a few hours they build up that much static that I dare not touch anything metal until I ground myself :D

Me too Mine are as warm as toast, the only issue I find is that after being on the bike for a few hours they build up that much static that I dare not touch anything metal until I ground myself :D

That’s probably just your electric personality... 😜

OP: looks like I’m in the minority so consider that in your equation. 👍

I do appreciate everyone's opinion/reviews of the suit, that is after all why I started the thread. I won't have time to try it on again until next week and I have only tried the jacket on, without the liner so far, so will be interesting to see how it feels with the trousers.

I find the down jacket and trousers warmer than any other type of mid-layer, also like the way the suit slips easily over them meaning getting the jacket and trousers on and off requires no contorting to get layers in place and comfortable. I came from a Harlvarssons suit and found the Outlast layers a real pain in the arse.

Must say I wear my navigator jacket with lining in and just a merino top in cold and I’m plenty warm enough......I think it is important to have a decent fit too soo not too much room for Mr Cold to get inside.....

My Navigatorr has never had the outlast liner in - it pulls the heat away too fast and doesn't give it back causing a painful cold spot.
I use a Columbia jacket instead which works as well - if not better than a slim down liner.
The issue with a down liner is compression - bend your arms/knees and its an instant cold spot.
Thats why a fleece or similar can actually be warmer in the real world.

The only thing with the Armaxis is its a lot stiffer then the Nivala or the Navigator due to the addition of more Armacor panelling, where as the newer Nivala and Navigator have more stretch built into the fabric. Its not a major issue for some but worth trying it on to see if you can stand it longterm as some find it too restrictive and stiff.

The inner jacket in the Armaxis is very nice though I have to admit.

Well I bought the Nivala suit yesterday and got out for just shy of 250 miles today, first impressions are good, I love the fit of the jacket although at first thought the arms could be an inch longer. Once on the bike though it's fine probably due to the inner cuff which works well.
Underneath I had an RST base layer and t-shirt and felt comfortable all day in temperature up to 22 I believe, and that was without side vents open.
Just have to see how good in bad weather

Richard

Even I wasn’t cold on Monday when I was out for the day.
Glad you’re happy with it.

Following the reviews on here I bought a Nivala jacket. If the long term durability is as good as my Armxion I'll be very happy.

The ventilation is much, much better than any other all weather jacket I'd tried previously and so comfortable compared to the Armaxion.

I rode to Germany in my Nivala kit a week or so ago and got pissed on for almost the entire trip. Same on the way back. I was one of a small handful in the group that didn’t get soaked through (only bit that got wet was my hands through my gloves. Very pleased.

I purchased the Nivala jacket & trousers from motorcycle legends two weeks ago.

I have only worn the jacket so far, with Rokker jeans.

My initial thoughts are that it fits like a leather jacket, and is very comfortable.

The shop matched a reduction plus 10% so had a good discount.

I can’t see the trouser liner ever been used tjough

I rode to Germany in my Nivala kit a week or so ago and got pissed on for almost the entire trip. Same on the way back. I was one of a small handful in the group that didn’t get soaked through (only bit that got wet was my hands through my gloves. Very pleased.

That's good to hear, I love my suit so far but it hasn't really been tested in torrential rain yet, although i do have a week booked around Scotland in a few weeks so I'm quite sure that may change :D

Back
Top Bottom