TT Rider 2, not working.

Colin

Reaction score
I went to use my old 2008 tom tom rider 2 last week and it won't stay connected to a satellite, so won't give any directions. Had a e-mail from Tom Tom saying Due to the week number rollover that occurred on 6 April your device will no longer navigate.
this happens every 19 years. Then they offered me a discount on a new tom tom.
what a surprise.
I only use this one in the car now as I have a tom tom V5 on the bike,
just bloody annoying,

I went to use my old 2008 tom tom rider 2 last week and it won't stay connected to a satellite, so won't give any directions. Had a e-mail from Tom Tom saying Due to the week number rollover that occurred on 6 April your device will no longer navigate.
this happens every 19 years. Then they offered me a discount on a new tom tom.
what a surprise.
I only use this one in the car now as I have a tom tom V5 on the bike,
just bloody annoying,

Had a similar e mail for my V5

‘Due to the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) that occurred on 6 April 2019, your TomTom Rider will continue to navigate, but will not be able to show the correct time and estimated time of arrival (ETA).

We are working to see if an update is possible and will contact you when there is news’.

I had exactly the same email from Tomtom so thought,bollox,why not plug it in to the computer and see what happens.....couldn't believe it when it totally updated itself....I haven't paid for updates for a couple of years so might be worth a try?

Kimbo

i had the same issue with my rider V5 and called tomtom uk and was offered 25% discount, i informed them how they have now rendered my unit scrap, the sales bod came back and offered 30% discount.

TTr2

Plugged my tom tom rider 2 into the computer and it updated it's self for free.
everything seems to be working ok.

They will work until a point when there is no memory left, and then that will be curtains, I have an old tomtom, same situation no memory left, Tomtom just offered a discount.

When I tried to update my other tom tom, a TT. V5 they told me there was no memory left, I was wondering if anything could be deleted to allow more memory to be used.

When I tried to update my other tom tom, a TT. V5 they told me there was no memory left, I was wondering if anything could be deleted to allow more memory to be used.

Voices and a few files, but nothing really big in their to remove, all has been tried already..........:D

TT V5.

The other problem I have with my tom tom V5 is, I switch it on and the screen works fine but no voice, and then about 10 miles down the road it will start talking, or sometimes won't talk. but the next day I use it and it will talk to me. intermittent.
I use Sena smh5 intercom, and it's the same if I use it in the car.
I've had more problems with this TT V5 than my old TT rider 2.

Had a similar e mail for my V5

‘Due to the GPS Week Number Rollover (WNRO) that occurred on 6 April 2019, your TomTom Rider will continue to navigate, but will not be able to show the correct time and estimated time of arrival (ETA).

We are working to see if an update is possible and will contact you when there is news’.

Just come across this thread.
I have not had the email and I have been doing my nut in trying to overcome this time and time of arrival problem with my V5. and now i know
what it is causing it. Another problem it has is also mentioned here in that, if i go to update the map i get the low memory message and prompted
to choose an area to load as the full Europe map will not fit in memory. I haven't done this yet. Just checked to see if my V5 is supposed to be
affected and it says it isn't but, it is affected and is displaying the problem.

My device is running the latest software but not the latest maps, perhaps i should update them and see if things change.

The other problem I have with my tom tom V5 is, I switch it on and the screen works fine but no voice, and then about 10 miles down the road it will start talking, or sometimes won't talk. but the next day I use it and it will talk to me. intermittent.
I use Sena smh5 intercom, and it's the same if I use it in the car.
I've had more problems with this TT V5 than my old TT rider 2.

Sounds like you have the female voice selected ;)

i had the same issue with my rider V5 and called tomtom uk and was offered 25% discount, i informed them how they have now rendered my unit scrap, the sales bod came back and offered 30% discount.

Well, i have now rang tomtom customer services twice and pushed hard for the 30% to see if they would do it on a 550 World Premium
and he just would not go past 25% even going to ask his "supervisor" yeah, i know :rolleyes: It now seems, according to the tomtom
guy that for the 2013 V5 i have, there isn't a fix, something i have confirmed on the tomtom forum where the matter is discussed at length.
So, it's either put up with the time display/Eta problem plus, the inability now to record my route (something i do a lot) which is part and
parcel of the problem plus, no automatic night day change, again, part of it or swap it out for a new device which, if i use the discount
would be a 550 tomtom or a Garmin. On a scale of 1 to 10 it's nothing of a problem really but, i do like toys and i like
them to work correctly :D

TT R2

went out today with my old tom tom rider 2 and it worked for about 1/4 of a mile and lost the satellites, cant get it to work so give up with it. My TT V5 still works but can't plug it in and update it. off to Spain next week if the Ferry is running. broke down again and is being repaired .
Might go for a Garmin next time, never used one. been reading reviews and thought the zumo 395 lm, might be the one. If anyone has any thoughts on this it would be appreciated. I don't listen to music and I don't use a phone so I just want a basic one.
I put routes in each day A to B and listen to spoken directions. need a map of Europe.
as we tour each year.

I've still got my TT rider V5 but as it's operation is now compromised to some degree by the aformentioned WNRO
issue i have bought a used Zumo 590 which i am now learning to use. Last week i had the chance to play with a 395
and found it very slow to draw/re-draw the maps, i also found it too small. I can only assume the 396 is better.

I've still got my TT rider V5 but as it's operation is now compromised to some degree by the aformentioned WNRO
issue i have bought a used Zumo 590 which i am now learning to use. Last week i had the chance to play with a 395
and found it very slow to draw/re-draw the maps, i also found it too small. I can only assume the 396 is better.
What are your thoughts on the GPS 's a month on. have you used it very much? I will change next year but not sure to go tom tom or garmin. just returned from Spain it worked ok. unable to update it and came across a lot of new roads in France that it didn't recognise. and on roundabouts it gets the exits wrong. on the screen it might be 3rd exit but it tells me 2nd through my intercom.
I always carry maps. and make a mental note of cities to aim for when travelling.

What are your thoughts on the GPS 's a month on. have you used it very much? I will change next year but not sure to go tom tom or garmin. just returned from Spain it worked ok. unable to update it and came across a lot of new roads in France that it didn't recognise. and on roundabouts it gets the exits wrong. on the screen it might be 3rd exit but it tells me 2nd through my intercom.
I always carry maps. and make a mental note of cities to aim for when travelling.

Only just come across this. TBH i've not used the 590 a lot but it is quite a bit of kit; i find it more difficult to use than the TomTom.
I keep coming across quirks that need getting round. I did download and pay for the TomTomGo app to my phone and that's a damn
sight easier to use and is pretty damn good but, it doesn't have ALL the facilities of the Garmin.

Right, to the TomTom Rider V5 regarding it's demise due to the WRNO thing. Well, TomTom have brought out a fix which i have just installed
on my Rider V5 and it's back up and running as it should. Run TomTom Home, plug your device in and do the update and bob's yer uncle :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom