Metzler Roadtec 01 (advice)

Confusing at best. Spoke with my tyre dealer this morning and ordered the PR5 (with road tread on rear and front, the rear is road tyre, the front is trail tyre, pay attention at the back)

He said the Michelin is outselling the Metzler on GS's but both very good road tyres. Michelin may last longer but we all ride differently!

He said the Metzler profile is 'round' so consistent in the turn and the Michelin is profiled for a faster turn in.....I assume because of its a variable radius cross section???

Good grief!
But he is right about the Metz carcass shape vs Michelin. The Metz are similar to Dunlops which are very round and offer a very even rate of turn. Michelins have always been quite pointy so offer a fast drop in, but then feel very planted with a fat contact patch. My favorite remains Pirelli: they are half way between Metz and Michelin and are very predictable and confidence inspiring at varying degrees of lean.

Michelin only label the PR5 as ‘Trail’ when it comes in the 120/19 and 170/17 sizes. You can’t buy a
‘Road’ version or non-‘Trail’ version in those sizes. It is the same tread/technology etc regardless of size and whatever label they call it. Marketing BS.

They do the same with the car tyres. I wanted some new tyres for the Volvo and couldn’t get the size I wanted (and it was only a 17inch so not exotic). I rang Goodyear and they told me that size was only made in the SUV variant as it was OEM for the Porsche Maccan and that the only difference between SUV and non suv was carcas strength. Compound and pattern all the same.

I’m back from my trip and have done just over 1000 miles on the 05’s on a mixture of roads from the Col de Rousset to a 200 mile motorway blast, in wet and dry. I have to say I think they are as good as the Roadtec so let’s see how they wear. As has been said the profile allows the bike to turn in quicker as well.
The Roadtecs seem to wear fast on the GS. I’ve had a set on my ZZR 14 and they didn’t square off as quick on that....and they should have!

Back
Top Bottom