Used Nav 5, life expectancy.

BVP

Reaction score
I’ve done my research about the difference between the Nav v & vi but before I make my final decision between a £250 used Nav v and a new Nav vi, I would like to try and get an idea of a used v’s average life expectancy.
I know we all treat kit differently but how long did your Nav v last before the smoke came out or it just never woke up?

If you don’t:

1. Mess with its internals, seeking to improve it

2. Stand on it

3. Drop it hard

4. Lose it

It will last for years

I’ve done my research about the difference between the Nav v & vi but before I make my final decision between a £250 used Nav v and a new Nav vi, I would like to try and get an idea of a used v’s average life expectancy.
I know we all treat kit differently but how long did your Nav v last before the smoke came out or it just never woke up?

My Nav 5 failed after about 4 years, the flash memory corrupted and would no longer update, no amount of resetting would restore it - Garmin offered to fix or replace for approx £100, I returned it and they sent me a brand new one. :)

I bought a Zumo, 550 ran it for 2 years and moved it on

i have a nav iV which has been around since Nav iV's were launched - still going strong

(its looking for a new home ;) )

Really, its as Wapping says treat them nice and they will last virtually freva

if you want to abuse them, then its anyone's guess

Keep the battery topped up. Costly to replace it.

Thanks, and sorry I posted this in the Nav6 section and not the Nav5 section.
I guess I lost my way.

All electrical components are liable to some sort of failure - it may happen in a few months or take some years.

My 5 year old Nav V failed to energise when fitted to the gps mount on my R1200RT LC so I contacted Garmin and they said send it back and they will replace it for £116.03, which I did.
New Nav 5 arrived in a few days and I set it up with Bluetooth connection to earphones and other minor settings so all ok again.

I also have a 2011 Nav IV which is still working well!

Safe riding,
Mike Davies

Thanks, and sorry I posted this in the Nav6 section and not the Nav5 section.
I guess I lost my way.

You will be fine, and actually Garmin are very decent when something goes wrong, even way out of warranty, not the same with TomTom, they just say buy another and give a discount......

Back
Top Bottom