RT insurance

GWJ

Reaction score
I've got a 1250 RT on order and set about looking for insurance quotes. So far my best quote is twice the cost of an equivalent new GSA which I find bizarre. I've tried Benetts, Carole Nash as brokers, MCN, Confused and Money Supermarket comparison sites, and lastly BMW Insurance online which even wouldn't give me a price without ringing them tomorrow.

I'm not a bad risk, I think, aged 59, full licence since 1977, no convictions, full No Claims history, RoSPA Gold trained, etc etc.

Has anyone else found the RT more expensive than the GSA?

What is your quote please, looking for an idea of insurance quotes we are about the same age I have 9 year NCB and looks like both fairly rural, should be similar
Currently paying £236 pa for comp r1100rt

Probably RT more expensive due to all the expensive Tupperware it’s wrapped in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over 9 years ncb. Traded a R1200RT 2014 for a 1250 RT, IAM Surety, £300, I am 61

It's clear premiums can be managed down (voluntary excess, no pillion etc) but not in a way that brings it anywhere near the cost of a GSA.

I guess thom057 is on to something when he mentions the Tupperware on the RT. A simple stumble in the carpark could be horrendouly expensive. It's a shame you don't get discounts for wrapping the plastic in crashbars...

Someone else wining about the cost of motorcycle related costs after ordering and paying for an 18k+ bike, are you going to moan every time you need to put fuel in it??

It is what it is, suck it up, ride it, enjoy it :D

Typical trouble maker. There is no issue about the cost as such, more a question about why one model of BMW should cost twice as much to insure as another seemingly very similar one. If it drank twice the fuel I'd be asking about that too.

Thanks for sharing. I gather IAM Surety is managed by Cornmarket Insurance. I'll give them a call and report back if their quote is favourable.

Just realised I forgot to mention that my 2014 RT insurance was renewed the end of Jan and I insured the 1250 April, so there would be another 2 months pro rata on top of the £300, so over £300 for a year, although the bike will be a year old next time :)

Typical trouble maker. There is no issue about the cost as such, more a question about why one model of BMW should cost twice as much to insure as another seemingly very similar one. If it drank twice the fuel I'd be asking about that too.

:thedummy maybe a Honda CG125 would suit you, look at it from a positive perspective; you'd never have to concern yourself with the cost of insurance or how much fuel it uses, now wouldn't that be lovely.

I now have another SP30 from a couple of weeks ago (when in the car)! 59 in a 50.

It's a bit long-winded how it happened, but there was a genuine split-second safety-related reason why I accelerated uphill on a dual carriageway for about three seconds. I was advised there's absolutely no point in presenting a case unless I want a bigger fine.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens to my premium when renewal time comes round...

I am 43 with 6 years ncb, live in central London, bike (18my RT1200 LE) which is parked in a garage nearby and is only used for up to 5k miles per year with no commuting. I also had a 6 month ban last year after totting up 4x 34 in a 30 offences.

I pay £1200 fully comp per year which is quite a bit better than my previous TB GSA 16my which was over £2k. That quote also covers 3rd party commuting a honda sh300 whose real mkt value is probably minus £2.99.... insurance is with MCE.

I now have another SP30 from a couple of weeks ago (when in the car)! 59 in a 50.

It's a bit long-winded how it happened, but there was a genuine split-second safety-related reason why I accelerated uphill on a dual carriageway for about three seconds. I was advised there's absolutely no point in presenting a case unless I want a bigger fine.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens to my premium when renewal time comes round...

I feel your pain. I was ticketed for speeding in a 20 outside a school. Fair cop I'd agree if it wasn't 11:30 at night on a Sunday. Not many school children around at that time but rules is rules.

I feel your pain. I was ticketed for speeding in a 20 outside a school. Fair cop I'd agree if it wasn't 11:30 at night on a Sunday. Not many school children around at that time but rules is rules.

The nice man at my recent speed awareness said the kids might be coming home from a skiing trip or some other trip so me and all the other hardcore criminals had to stick to the speed limit.

Back
Top Bottom