R1200gsa knocking

Rock10

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
R1200gsa with 5200 miles.
I went to view the bike today the guy started the bike up, after a few seconds you can hear a slight knock sound, then it's stops, then comes back.? Any ideas.

What year?

Oil/air cooled / Liqid cooled

Single cam / twin cam

What Mileage?

Service history?

Last oil change?

What grade oil?

Was it on centre or side stand?

When was the last time it was run?

Did the noise reduce with the clutch lever in?

Did you run the engine until at least one oil temp bar was in the display?

It's an agricultural bike, dont ecpect silky smooth jap 4 pot with this lump ;)

It's a 2013 with 5200 miles it's due a service. The seller as booked it into the dealer, its a one owner bike.
When you rev the bike and let it settle to tick over you can hear a slight knocking sound, then it stops until you rev the bike again.
I don't know what oil, etc.

It's a 2013 with 5200 miles it's due a service. The seller as booked it into the dealer, its a one owner bike.
When you rev the bike and let it settle to tick over you can hear a slight knocking sound, then it stops until you rev the bike again.
I don't know what oil, etc.

The milage is it's selling point, but it deends on the price,

IF the milage is gen u ine ;) then it's only had it's first service and in all probablity needs to be used in anger ;)

Get to your local dealer and try (listen to a few other comparable models) if they all do it, theres your answer

The decompressors rattle for a few seconds on startup but should then stop

Any other top end noise could be problematic, you really need to compare it with other ones before you buy

They are all rattly buggers at tickover but should quieten down as soon as you ride

My 2016 has had the cams swapped because of poor finish and also the rhs timing gear assembly changed due to excessive noise
It was very noisy before with a constant loud tapping sound, it now sounds smooth and quiet

The milage is it's selling point, but it deends on the price,

IF the milage is gen u ine ;) then it's only had it's first service and in all probablity needs to be used in anger ;)

Get to your local dealer and try (listen to a few other comparable models) if they all do it, theres your answer

He's asking £9300 with panniers, top back 2nd hand. 2013.

Paid £8200 for my 15 plate last year with 9000 on it..

is it a knock.. or a tap?.. knock is pistons / big ends... taps will be top end ...

He's asking £9300 with panniers, top back 2nd hand. 2013.

I sold my 2013 GSA privately a year ago for £8100. It had done 19k and had Wilbers ESA and full luggage and service history, and a few other goodies. I bought mine with a great discount in July 2013 (end of the line for the Twin Cams) plus free luggage, Satnav and tinted screen. Personally, I'd rather have a bike with an average or just below mileage - the low mileage on this doesn't make it worth that sort of money (IMHO) and you should be able to shop around and get a lot more for your hard-earned.

I sold my 2013 GSA privately a year ago for £8100. It had done 19k and had Wilbers ESA and full luggage and service history, and a few other goodies. I bought mine with a great discount in July 2013 (end of the line for the Twin Cams) plus free luggage, Satnav and tinted screen. Personally, I'd rather have a bike with an average or just below mileage - the low mileage on this doesn't make it worth that sort of money (IMHO) and you should be able to shop around and get a lot more for your hard-earned.

Walk away
£9300 for an aircooled Hexhead 13 GS Adv is too much, especially if it's knocking and possibly run low on oil

A lot of people don't know how to check the oil properly and get it wrong - perhaps he did ?

Back
Top Bottom