Camp beds

Cooking shite in right pannier. Some rags for me to wear in left one. Baked beans and assorted Tesco food in top box, sleeping bag in dry bag on top of pannier, chair and bed and mattress in dry bag on other pannier, tent chucked across the two of them behind me. Probably overloaded on the vario panniers but has managed two 2500 mile journeys camping across Europe. Definitely looks a bit OTT but I’m happy and at night I’ve got what I need. I could easily do away with the sleeping bag and the mat but I’m a drama queen and a pre Madonna so would gladly hump all my shite around to keep me happy. Like they say, first world problems and all that.

Fairy snuff ! I’ve got the Helinox chair and table and have taken them with me along with Jetboil to make a brew and be comfy on a lunch stop . Never camped on the bike but quite like camping as long as I can sleep . Might be tempted to give it a go but would definitely get the Helinox bed etc like you to give myself the best chance of enjoying it !!

The GSA is a fine machine for carrying all your camping gear and is still quite ok to ride :thumb2

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 515
Very personal, but I can't possibly imagine any camp bed (and I've got a few) being as comfy as my exped 12 LXW.. And it's easier to get to work and pack away, is lighter, packs smaller and is roomier.

As with Arsey, I like hotels as you do not (in most cases anyway) have to build your walls, door and roof on arrival.

That being said, for all round comfort (any cnut can be uncomfortable and some revel in it) the Helinox lite camp bed is without equal. Do not though buy one if you are much over six one or six two. Not cheap but, in the end, quality will out. Look after it; as the post says, you’ll get a decent return when the day comes

Again, I’m with Arsey on the Helinox chair and table. Before I took a year or two off motorcycling, I used to enjoy riding off for a day or two into France or Belgium, picking up the base ingredients for lunch on the way, then stopping to make it wherever I fancied. Sometimes I was lucky enough to find a war memorial steps, a sizeable churchyard tomb (they like a decent burial) or even council provided tables and benches. Sometimes though, despite the quality of the locale and its suitability for my lunchtime break, I was forced to miss it out only as there was nowhere to sit.

The Helinox table and camp chair solved that at a stroke. A small chopping board, a decently sharp knife, some Wet Wipes and away you go. Lunch, as nature intended. Again, not cheap but (as L’Oréal says) you are worth it.

As with Arsey, I like hotels as you do not (in most cases anyway) have to build your walls, door and roof on arrival.

That being said, for all round comfort (any cnut can be uncomfortable and some revel in it) the Helinox lite camp bed is without equal. Do not though buy one if you are much over six one or six two. Not cheap but, in the end, quality will out. Look after it; as the post says, you’ll get a decent return when the day comes
Absolutely spot on, if your a six footer and a bit of a lardy b’stard such as myself you need to invest in the helinox max camp bed. I purchased mine directly from helinox and it was delivered direct from Korea. Absolutely can’t fault it but it certainly comes at a premium price tag. Table and chair just makes life a whole lot better. Way over the top but that’s how I like it.

If your pissing 3 litres in a night something’s drastically wrong ,or are you sharing the bottle . I use a lucozade bottle

Good call mate. I’ve just had 5 nights in New Forest on your recommendations. Slept log-like...

5af593baa4804504697e16bed05c16ae.jpg

I have a couple of these, a cheap one and a better kingkamp one, I use them with a klymit static v insulated mat on top.

KingCamp Ultra Lightweight Portable Folding Camping Cot off ground Camping Bed Indoor Home & Festival, Camping & Outdoor Use Weight Capacity 135kg/300lbs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0787CZDY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_wUy0Cb9A80Q7R

They are very good, just watch out for damage to your tent floor.

I also have an exped synmat 12 that I find superbly comfy and warm.. Its definitely my favourite.

EXPED SYNMAT 12 LXW CAMPING MAT https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JGLA9XW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_90y0Cb0JJZ259

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great, I'm glad you like them. I have that pillow too, and although I'm generally not a massive fan of air pillows, it's a good bit of kit for the money and takes up no room.. You might find the in-insulated klymit a bit cold when if the temperature drops a bit.

An advantage hotels have over tents are the en suite facilities.
However, this is easily overcome by the use of an empty wide necked 2L fabric conditioner bottle.
Best bit of kit I have.:)
+1. I never get out of the tent once I'm snuggled up for the night.

Hammock is a little more challenging.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Managed to pick one of those camp beds from Aliexpress for about £35 delivered. Very nice it is too. Also bought a 3/4 self inflating mattress from Go Outdoors mainly because it's easier to inflate than my Exped (which is also overkill with the bed) for £12 delivered. OEX Traverse 3/4 - pretty thin but I was amazed at how comfy that was on it's own on a hard floor.

Roll on Chimay Classic road races...

D.

Managed to pick one of those camp beds from Aliexpress for about £35 delivered. Very nice it is too. Also bought a 3/4 self inflating mattress from Go Outdoors mainly because it's easier to inflate than my Exped (which is also overkill with the bed) for £12 delivered. OEX Traverse 3/4 - pretty thin but I was amazed at how comfy that was on it's own on a hard floor.

Roll on Chimay Classic road races...

D.

Got a link?

Three weeks ago one of the tubes ruptured on my exped mat so it’s back to my Thermorest, bought one of these camp beds, £31 delivered, used last week for three nights, very comfortable, but I’m only 5’10 and only 85kg

Good review I doing research on bike camping and found it useful

Back
Top Bottom