Steel inserts for Alloy subframe

sye

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone ever put steel inserts in the grab handle holes on the rear subframe please? I have two stripped threads on the right side, which someone has tried to fix by wrapping PTFE tape around the mounting bolts FFS!

There are M10 to M6 steel inserts available, like these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Through-...16-A4-Pack-Of-5/222455691053?var=521313781047 I would have to drill and tap the hole to M10 and screw the inserts into place, then they should be good to go, in theory. If anyone has done this I would appreciate any pointers.

TIA

Did you look up Rivnuts at all?

I have a Rivnut kit but they are primarily designed for thin wall metal. I have measured the depth of aluminium as best I can and it's around 8mm thick. I can't find a Rivnut suitable for that depth of material. In theory the steel insert should be very strong but I'm sure someone must have done this before.

I have a Rivnut kit but they are primarily designed for thin wall metal. I have measured the depth of aluminium as best I can and it's around 8mm thick. I can't find a Rivnut suitable for that depth of material. In theory the steel insert should be very strong but I'm sure someone must have done this before.

I used M6 X 14.5mm Knurled Flat Rivnuts - drilled the M6 tapped hole out to 8.8mm to give a tight fit on the OD of the new M6 Rivnuts - means you have to tap them in with a hammer and then when you "expand" them using the fitting tool they are a solid tight fit . Mine have been on the bike nearly two years, done about 7000 miles , 4000 of which were loaded with H&B pannier frames and fully loaded soft panniers . Link below to the Rivnuts I used - they are the nearest you can get to suit an 8mm wall thickness

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/knurled-f...MIo8DkuKyH4gIVA53tCh2UNgurEAQYAiABEgIh7PD_BwE

I would helicoil it ----- stronger than the original :thumb2

Just back from the garage. Thought I would give a helicoil a go and if it didn't work out I could always drill bigger and look for an alternative. Helicoil worked fine and everything is good and tight.

Must say that the timeserts look like the canine danglies but what a price for the basic kit!

Back
Top Bottom