Tyre Pressures....

Chalky723

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've got TKC 80's on my 650 Twin, I normally have them at 30lb front & 32lb rear. I lowered the pressures to 20lb front & 22lb rear this weekend whilst whizzing round Salisbury Plain, I couldn't be bothered pumping them back up before the ride home.

I can honestly say I didn't notice any degradation in performance/handling on the 130 mile ride home - mostly on motorways, which has made me wonder whether I should leave them at the lower pressure, or somewhere between the 2?

As the tyres are quite knobbly, I'm assuming that the lower pressure would mean that there's more tyre in contact with the road than at the higher pressures...

Any thoughts/comments? What pressures are you running at with knobbly tyres on the road??

Cheers,

Damon

Last edited:
I maybe talking through my backside here. But I thought running tyres on the road at high speed at lower than spec pressures causes the tyres to bend and deflect more.

This additional bending and deforming creates heat which in turn can lead to early failure!

All this remembering as a youth when I used to ride my trials bike to courses I ran full pressure on the way there , down to 5/6 psi for the trial and then limped home on the road until I could find a garage to blow em back up ! Oh the ignorance of youth

Steve

Back
Top Bottom