Joe Duffy Motorrad takng the piss and acting unprofessionally

stabtherasher

Reaction score
I thought I might share my recent experience with Joe Duffy in relation to a bike I traded in with them three and a half years ago.

I wonder if anyone else on this forum has had a similar experience?

In October 2015 I traded in a 1200 GSA in part exchange for another GSA and signed all of the usual papers. A friend subsequently told me the the had seen my original bike on a Cork based traders website.

A few months after the trade in I got a notice of illegal parking from Cork City Council in relation to the same bike. I contacted the salesman in who had dealt with me in Joe Duffy and he undertook to look after the matter. I don't know what he did but I never heard anything else about the matter and assumed that that was the end of that - a slight hiccup in the paperwork that had been resolved.

Imagine my surprise therefore when in early March of this year I received another penalty notice from Cork City Council in respect of the traded in bike - this time for displaying an out of date tax disc.

I explained to Cork that I had not owned the bike since I passed ownership on to Joe Duffy in October 2015 - all to no avail as it appears that I am still the registered owner of the bike. I appealed and included proof of the trade in but my appeal was refused again on the grounds that I am still the registered owner of the machine.

Now I like to think of myself as a patient man and I therefore paid a visit to Finglas and explained the situation. I explained, as politely as I could under the circumstances, that I was fairly pissed off about the fact that this had happened and that Joe Duffy should now resolve the matter. After much toing and froing and listening to excuses such as "it is not our responsibility" I finally got their agreement that if I paid the €60 fine Joe Duffy would reimburse me and write to Cork City Council explaining the situation.

I paid the fine on the 14th March, advised Joe Duffy of the payment. Despite my best efforts and well over two months since I first brought this to their attention I am still awaiting payment of my money. In the meantime I still do not know if the registration issue has been resolved. :mad::mad::mad:

I have been met with broken promises, failure to deliver, constant excuses about payment dates and a staggering degree of unprofessionalism from this company. I have been told by them how professional they are but at this stage I can only consider those claims to be a bad joke.

I have run out of patience and am now considering my next steps. Should I contact BMW Motorrad? Should I go legal (for 60 quid)? or can anybody suggest an alternative?

Has anyone else here been treated this badly by this shower?

So far I feel I have been treated with contempt and would consider warning people off doing business with people who are very willing to take your money but no so willing to deal with their own incompetence.

Interested to hear what others have to say.

Not sure if it’s any different in Ireland, but when I trade any bike in here ( uk) I hand in the V5 Reg doc, I’m given the tear of slip which is signed at the time me of handover , and that’s it ! The bike belongs to them .

Somebody has been taking the piss with your trade in by the sounds of it, I hope it all gets sorted .

I have found them arrogant and the customer is most definitely not the priority, I would try the small claims court, more for the principal than the cash.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

3.5 years ago you traded in the bike. The bike has not been consistently taxed. Have you never received reminders to tax it? I have found Joe Duffys to be a good dealer. JJH

Whatever about Joe Duffy being remiss you need to sort it. It would be a bit of a pain if a speeding fine or other more serious offence was reported against the bike while still in your name. JJH

Surely it’s your responsibility to notify the relevant Government department that you are no longer the keeper of the bike.,:nenau

Get on to Shannon for advice/instruction/solution .......have the proof of trade in handy.

Go to Duffy's and refuse to leave until you speak to the dealer principle (not a salesman or sales manager)

Get your money and get them to sort it with Shannon to have the bike taken out of your name.

Sent from a U11

Whatever about Joe Duffy being remiss you need to sort it. It would be a bit of a pain if a speeding fine or other more serious offence was reported against the bike while still in your name. JJH

Yep - this is a fear all right.

A quick Google shows ? :nenau

‘If you sell your vehicle to a motor dealer, you have to complete Form RF105 (pdf) which is available from the motor dealer. The completed form should be returned to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, while the Vehicle Licensing Certificate and Vehicle Registration Certificates (Vehicle Registration Certificate for post-April 2004 vehicles) are given to the motor dealer’

When the Owner disposing of the vehicle and the Motor Dealer acquiring the vehicle have completed the form:
• The OWNER DISPOSING OF THE VEHICLE should IMMEDIATELY forward this form to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shannon Town Centre, Shannon, Co. Clare.

When the Owner disposing of the vehicle and the Motor Dealer acquiring the vehicle have completed the form:
• The OWNER DISPOSING OF THE VEHICLE should IMMEDIATELY forward this form to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shannon Town Centre, Shannon, Co. Clare.

A quick Google shows ? :nenau

‘If you sell your vehicle to a motor dealer, you have to complete Form RF105 (pdf) which is available from the motor dealer. The completed form should be returned to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, while the Vehicle Licensing Certificate and Vehicle Registration Certificates (Vehicle Registration Certificate for post-April 2004 vehicles) are given to the motor dealer’

Nope - all relevant forms were completed at the time of the deal and JD were to make the necessary arrangements. All things considered I had more than a reasonable expectation that those arrangements would be finalised as per my discussions with JD at the time.

That would tell me that they have sent the log book off, on around the 27/04/19 but it was dated to the date of sale of the motorbike on the 23/09/18

So at least you have peace of mind knowing it has been taken out of your name

Resolution

OK it looks like I have a resolution.

Following a pretty robust discussion with a senior manager in JDM this morning, a representative called to my door with €60 cash which I happily accepted.

The Senior manager accepted that JDM had "dropped the ball" very badly in this case.

I have also insisted on, and been promised, a letter of apology which I am hoping will arrive shortly.

It is unfortunate that it ever had to come to this but there you have it.

I am now happy to draw a line under the whole sorry affair and chalk it up to experience.

Many thanks for the useful comments made. I have learned some lessons and will never be caught like this again. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom