Andorra - fermé pour travailles!

Simon_100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This news seems to have passed all of the traffic info sites I find on Goggle but the French road section between Pas de Casa - Sorry about my terrible French! - and France proper has been closed since the end of April.

It's due to the mountainside encroaching into the road by up to six inches a day - a sort of slow motion landslide - and no-one knows exactly why or what the future holds, so don't expect a fix any time soon.

I only learned about this as it blocks access from a friend of mine who live near Ax-les-Thermes from whence he drives is small collection of gas guzzlers up to Andorra for fuel.

This article, in Catalan, features some intrepid French people slogging up the road on foot to load up on cheap booze and fags - makes the English Channel booze-cruisers look like the sad bastards that they really are - mind you as the TV version points out that with a carton of smokes costing €80 in France being just €30 in Andorra you can't really blame them!:) It also points out that despite having only 3,000 inhabitants Pas de Casa earns 30% of Andorra's GDP! All in booze and fags!!!

[video]www.ccma.cat/tv3/alacarta/telenoticies-vespre/el-pas-de-la-casa-un-poble-fantasma-des-del-tall-de-la-frontera-francoandorrana/video/5853399/[/video]

Enjoy

Simon

Was only talking about Andorra an hr ago....Spooky....Was saying i much prefer Casa to stay in. If I've been going to Andorra I have always passed thro Ax-les-Thermes, even dipped my feet in the hot water in the square :clap been a few years so should be safe now ;)
Anyone know a good alternate route from the French side ? Wouldn't mind a quick blast over there.

We went up and over April 8th stunning mountain pass with sunshine and skiers aside the road at top.
Fags were as Simon said 37 yo yo per pack tobbacco 32 per 50g and fuel 1.04 per ltr deisel.
Looks like the "smugglers road from Llavorsi in Spain may be a tadge more busy then Simon.
Look like I will be using a different route through Vielha next week.
Gu Steady eh!!!

Are you saying it is no longer possible to cross into Andorra from France, or enter France from Andorra?

That seems pretty severe, and I would of thought very costly to Andorra!

Are you saying it is no longer possible to cross into Andorra from France, or enter France from Andorra?

http://www.inforoute09.fr/ does not report any closure on the N22
Viamichelin says danger due to rockfall so there might be some intermittent access

We went up and over April 8th stunning mountain pass with sunshine and skiers aside the road at top.
Fags were as Simon said 37 yo yo per pack tobbacco 32 per 50g and fuel 1.04 per ltr deisel.
Looks like the "smugglers road from Llavorsi in Spain may be a tadge more busy then Simon.
Look like I will be using a different route through Vielha next week.
Gu Steady eh!!!

See you for a coffee then Mick! :)

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. The news report end with footage of the customs shed on the Spanish side north of La Seu d'Urgell, underlining the fact that this is the only access into Andorra from France!

http://www.inforoute09.fr/ does not report any closure on the N22
Viamichelin says danger due to rockfall so there might be some intermittent access

That's the first one I looked at, followed by several more - just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read in te Internet! :)

Regs

Simon

Was only talking about Andorra an hr ago....Spooky....Was saying i much prefer Casa to stay in. If I've been going to Andorra I have always passed thro Ax-les-Thermes, even dipped my feet in the hot water in the square :clap been a few years so should be safe now ;)
Anyone know a good alternate route from the French side ? Wouldn't mind a quick blast over there.

Best alternative IMHO would be the Port de la Bonaigüa route: Vielha - Baqueira - LLavorsi (for the smuggler's route, which is still shut by snow as I write) - Sort - La Seu d'urgell - Andorra. But that does beg the question, Why fo to Andorra at all if not to pass through?

Regs

Simon

Thanks for the route rec Simon and I agree "Why go to Andorra at all if not to pass through?"
We'll it's about 12/15 years since I've been and an hr earlier I was talking about it in with a friend in Allan Jefferies + I wondered if there was still the bargains to be had, I bought two sets of new Givi Keyless luggage which practically paid for that tour :thumb ....Dont ask how we got them back, t'was precarious and too long a story :blagblah
Although I have passed thro a few times I have only stayed in the place once and that was enough but I don't mind staying in Pas de Casa or camping, there used to be a smaller motorcycle clothing store at the back of the main street in Casa which had a super store in Andorra and you could get the same bargains.....Dont know if it's still there.

Google maps/traffic is reporting N22 closed till June 28th ??????

At least June 28th I would say!

Thanks for the route rec Simon and I agree "Why go to Andorra at all if not to pass through?"
We'll it's about 12/15 years since I've been and an hr earlier I was talking about it in with a friend in Allan Jefferies + I wondered if there was still the bargains to be had, I bought two sets of new Givi Keyless luggage which practically paid for that tour :thumb ....Dont ask how we got them back, t'was precarious and too long a story :blagblah
Although I have passed thro a few times I have only stayed in the place once and that was enough but I don't mind staying in Pas de Casa or camping, there used to be a smaller motorcycle clothing store at the back of the main street in Casa which had a super store in Andorra and you could get the same bargains.....Dont know if it's still there.

Wow! Andorra has changed an awful lot since then, it's almost nice! :)

Still lots of bargain shops both in the centre and down in Santa Coloma. Most have branches in all three places, i.e. in Pas de Casa as well and they will transport stuff to the one you are visiting if, say they don't have your size of something.

Santa Coloma is easiest as all of the shops are in one 'strip' of the high street, apart from Motocard which worth seeking out down by the Repsol garage where the village starts. Tip, during the week just park up in Interpsport and wander up the road form there.

We've just decided to go up there next week! @ Mick, when are you planning to be down near our place?

Regs

Simon

But that does beg the question, Why fo to Andorra at all if not to pass through?

Good question, I often ask people "Why visit Andorra on a Motorcycle", I did it once, but due to crap weather earlier in day (holed up in Hotel in France) I arrived quite late so skipped Port d' Envalira (went through tunnel) and I would like to tick it off my list, also some of the folk on my upcoming trip have never been there so I need to show them how crap it is so they don't make the same mistake as me and go twice!

I did wonder if the French may be very slow to fix the road as the financial impact is on Andorra and whilst it is closed the French will be gaining tax revenues from fags and fuel, but it looks as if it will be open sooner rather than later...

https://all-andorra.com/the-road-fr...e-closed-for-several-days-due-to-a-landslide/

We've just decided to go up there next week! @ Mick, when are you planning to be down near our place?

Regs

Simon[/QUOTE]

We went past your village on 1311 = still a great road Simon, on way down. we are travelling up to Barbastro tues then a full days driving to Chartres so cant afford a long stop anywhere en-route. I may be back down on the bike in July or definitely Sept. Maybe see yer then then
GU Steady and thanks again for the heads up re Andorra. That would be a right bugger if time was important

We went past your village on 1311 = still a great road Simon, on way down. we are travelling up to Barbastro tues then a full days driving to Chartres so cant afford a long stop anywhere en-route. I may be back down on the bike in July or definitely Sept. Maybe see yer then then
GU Steady and thanks again for the heads up re Andorra. That would be a right bugger if time was important

OK Mick, we're pretty much full-time at the cottage now but still have the 'van at the camping for meets, rides and beers! :) See you later in the year. Love to all in the Frozen North! :)

Back
Top Bottom