Should I look for a 1200GS single or twin cam?

Thanks for the info about the GS911....I’d never considered it that important, and it’s something I’ll have to factor into my budget as they’re really not a cheap bit of kit. I maintain all my bikes at home so it sounds like I’ll need one if I even want to change the oil!

What’s the collective view on ‘the one’ to buy? An original from Hexcode or are there alternatives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go for a 2010 onwards TwinCam ( to tell a single cam from a twin - look where the oil filler cap is; left hand cylinder = single cam, right hand = twin). Service history and overall condition showing it's been well looked after is more important than mileage. imv

I recently sold my '08 MU GSA, much better than my 06 GS.
Both FD hadn't been greased correctly but turned out to be fine. Had the leaky FD bearing go in Portugal but we were 2up fully loaded for 10 weeks and the ESA worked like a charm. Used it regularly which I think is key to the shock rather than one who never used it then 10 years later it tries to adjust but just an opinion there. Had the fairly common fuel issue though but can be sorted if you know how. Mine developed squeeky breaks just needed to put washers on and reglue the bolts, usual wear and tear.

Excellent bike, and can be had for your budget easily if you look around and put alerts on. Not a major difference to the tin cam.

Some are asking £9.5k for the pre 2013 twin or anniversary model which I think why they never sell, especially when you can get the newer ones for that price band. Good look!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, I took a Tracer 900 out to test on a whim today, far too frantic for my liking these days! It’s got to be a big twin!

My 2010 1200GS may be of interest to you.

Bought from this parish in April 2016 with 6030 miles on the clock, it’s now covered 7667 miles so it’s barely run in. I have all the BMW books, and MOT's at 1634 miles March 2013, 2012 miles April 2014, 3611 miles March 2015. Current MOT expires Aug 2019 it’s is currently on sorn. The BMW service book is stamped with 4 BMW services, if you need further info I can be contacted on 07549987333.

Keep it between the hedges

TC 2010 onwards everyday of the week, nicer gearbox , no fuel strip and the culmination of the development of that branch of BMW evolution.

Went from a 2011 gsa tc to a 2014 gsa lc (beta tester special) and the older bike was nicer in every respect

Thanks for the info about the GS911....I’d never considered it that important, and it’s something I’ll have to factor into my budget as they’re really not a cheap bit of kit. I maintain all my bikes at home so it sounds like I’ll need one if I even want to change the oil!

What’s the collective view on ‘the one’ to buy? An original from Hexcode or are there alternatives?

Hi

Everyone talks about GS911 but I use the motoscan ap and and OBDLINK LX bluetooth module. It doesn't do everything that the GS911 does but its a fraction of the cost and does most of the important things. See web page https://www.motoscan.de/ use google translate as its in German.

Ian

My 2010 1200GS may be of interest to you.

Bought from this parish in April 2016 with 6030 miles on the clock, it’s now covered 7667 miles so it’s barely run in. I have all the BMW books, and MOT's at 1634 miles March 2013, 2012 miles April 2014, 3611 miles March 2015. Current MOT expires Aug 2019 it’s is currently on sorn. The BMW service book is stamped with 4 BMW services, if you need further info I can be contacted on 07549987333.

Keep it between the hedges

PM’d!

Went back to the Yam dealership this morning and had a couple of hours on a Super Tenere. Good bike, but I didn't click with it. Besides, with 37k miles on the clock it sounded....noisier...than a GS...

Having tried all the options I've decided that as soon as my 1150 gets collected i'll be looking for an MU/TU 1200. Thanks for all the input!

To expand on my earlier comments.

Yes, a GS911 is an essential, nay invaluable, investment for home servicing and fault diagnosis. Money well spent.
ESA shocks can weep or fail around 35k or later, fixed for about £99 each by several suspension companies like MCT or Firefox Racing, or DenzO on the Forum.
Final drive, driveshaft and gearbox issues can be sorted by Mikeyboy on the forum.
ABS pump issues can be fixed by Motoscot on the forum.
A remap or AF-XIED will transform the engine feel and flexibility.

The hexhead GS is a pretty tough and reliable machine, especially the CANbus wiring and nothing to be afraid of.

I’m leaning towards the MU tbh.

Can anyone let me know just how to tell a late reg ‘07 from an MU at a glance?

Think I’m in a similar position to you. Fancy upgrading to a 1200, but having had a fully loaded last TC model I’m also considering looking for an early MU model. These start I believe from 08, and can simply be identified by the better looking tank side trims which continued through all the TCs except all Adventure models.

If I find my ideal model it’ll def not have esa or tyre sensors and I’d prefer the simplicity of the adjustable tappets. My upgrade being from an old 850, any 12 is gonna be more than I need. I’m also kinda hoping that version won’t have the service warning like earlier 12s, reducing the need for a 911, but I’ve yet to find if that’s the case or not.

Attachments

• 75E170D5-1A30-4AF8-A3BC-F4759F1B0C61.jpg
    75E170D5-1A30-4AF8-A3BC-F4759F1B0C61.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 575
Thanks for the visual clue Dumptruck!

There’s a lot of good value MU’s out there, just need my 1150 collected (hopefully next week!) so I can go shopping!

Dumptruck, the first 1200's from '04 to '07 had no service indicator.
The 1200's with MU onwards from '08 had service indicators.

It's easy to know when they need a service.........your wallet will start twitching!!

I've an 09 Single cam adventure, same engine. Can't really fault it, easy to service with screw and lock nut tappets. Have two friends with twin cams and performance isn't an issue. I have AF Xied's on mine which has sorted the midrange fuelling so it's nice and smooth, also pulls from very low revs so I don't have to down change. Try them back to back if you can, give you more of an idea.

Could you elaborate on the AF Xied's for me? I have an 09 Adventure as well and would love to address that midrange fuelling...

Thanks!

There is a long thread somewhere about. What they are I believe are basically Lambda shifters, they fit between the lambda sensor and the ECU and modify the signal which changes the fuelling. They are adjustable to richen the mixture by whatever you want within parameters. I just put mine on the recommended setting in the instructions and haven't touched them since. I think I'm running a 13.8:1 mixture, this is enough to smooth out the midrange fuelling and when I crack it open from 2000 rpm it pulls all the way through. Fuel consumption hasn't changed overall. Its slightly better in grandad riding mode but no worse when I get a wiggle on.

You can move them onto any aircooled should you fancy a twin cam and with an adapter from the company they can fit LC's unlike a remap. I got mine from Beemer Boneyard in the states, luckily slipped through customs and I didn't have to pay import duty. My bike is standard and it totally transformed it, would have no hesitation in recommending them.

Easy to fit, takes bout 20 mins to half hour of not rushing.

Have a read here

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/418381-Standard-vs-PCV-vs-AF-XIED

Last edited:
Twin cam. Smoother. Torquier. All round better engine.

with the right map on the older bike its much faster everywhere.... all the later ones (with the exception of a BM press launch special) that I've ridden (3 others ) over the same two mile climb are 10mph slower, with a bit less everywhere in-between

but the later bike does get a far better gearbox (well worth having - all the ones with black cylinder barrels), it also has traction control as std, which if you can't ride might be helpful or bloody annoying if you can (but if you like pressing buttons you can turn it off or leave in sport if you only want to be irritated frequently instead of constantly). They later one also has the option of ESA which is 50% as useful as buying a decent after market rear shock with a 175nm spring)

bike mag out now has a bit about guy with 190k miles, its only dropped one exhaust valve and no other failures

Back
Top Bottom