Should I look for a 1200GS single or twin cam?

Bikermike1411

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

With both my bikes potentially winging their way to new homes in the next couple of weeks, i've been looking for what I can replace them with. I've test ridden a Crosstourer (worst fuelling on a bike i've ever ridden in 25 years) and an AT DCT (utterly stonking motor, DCT was a hoot, huge grin, iffy 21" front wheel and massive price tag rules it out). This brings me back to a GS....it was always going to, lets face it....

I'm thinking about finding a fully-farkled low-ish (20k miles) 1200GS single or twin cam, not an ADV - whilst the large tank is great, I don't need the extra height or premium price. I've dug around the forum and internet in general and found lots of information about both versions, but some of it is outdated and i'd like the opinions of anyone who's ridden both model.

Firstly, can I just confirm - is the MU definitely the 2008/2009 model - and does this have significant mechanical/reliability/rideability advantages over the 2004 onwards model? Are there any significant differences in the Pre-MU and MU models making the newer one (overall) a better bike?

Secondly, is the twin cam really that much 'more' of a bike? I've read they spin up faster and have more midrange - they're also a good grand more expensive than a similar MU, and significantly pricier than the '04-'08 versions....

Thirdly, is there anything I should look out for when looking at the 1200's - i know to watch for leaky final drive seals, but is there anything I need to be aware of? Noises, pops, rattles, other niggles....

Finally - if I'm coming off an 1150 (i'm not looking for the whole 1150 vs 1200 debate!), does it really matter which of the 1200's I decide to buy in the end, as the bike will still be 30kg lighter and a bit more pokey and still covered in plastic. Instead, should I just focus on mileage, service history, condition and farkles? I'm in no rush to buy one (easily said), and i'm prepared to wait for a good one to turn up (or be offered!).

Any and all help and advice from the collective is, as always, massively appreciated.

Cheers
Mike

I was looking at AT's and prices aren't that much more than used twin cams, I haven't ridden one though compared to 3 different GS/A's but even on eBay a 2014 is under 7k. I also have an urge for the 1150 GSA as I like doing maintenance myself. Budget is obviously important here

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I’d want the adventure AT - the cheapest one I know of is £7500, with 16k miles in two years, which is ‘hard use’ in my mind. And they’ve still got the massive front wheel and tubed tyres.

Also, on paper, if I recall correctly a 1200 Gs is lighter, more powerful and has more torque!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on overall quality of bike. I’ve had a 2008 GS adv and I currently own a 2010 TC, the engine certainly feels a bit more powerful but the fielding took a little sorting out.

The Twin Cams do seem to go for more money but they hold onto it too. I’ve had mine from new, service it myself and have had no issues in 26000 miles

Whats your budget ?

Buy based on condition not just mileage. Low milers can still get problems.
Twincam is preferable if within your budget.
I have a 2008 MU Adv with 50k on it and wouldn't pay to change it, but if buying a GS again I would go twincam.

Whats your budget ?

Buy based on condition not just mileage. Low milers can still get problems.
Twincam is preferable if within your budget.
I have a 2008 MU Adv with 50k on it and wouldn't pay to change it, but if buying a GS again I would go twincam.

Good to know Pukmeister, thanks!

I’m looking at about £6k max - ideally less, but could spend more for the right bike. Looking around I know I can get a good condition, well serviced and well kitted out bike for that money, the trouble is there are so many bikes I that ballpark that I’m lost. I can get a cracking pre ‘08, a good ‘08-‘09 or a higher mileage ‘10 bike....

I keep reading horror stories about 1200s vs 1150’s - I’m assuming this is to a degree the fact that people often take more time to write complaints than praise, and I’m hoping that, given the sheer number of 1200’s sold since 2004, there have been issues with a relatively small percentage.

I've an 09 Single cam adventure, same engine. Can't really fault it, easy to service with screw and lock nut tappets. Have two friends with twin cams and performance isn't an issue. I have AF Xied's on mine which has sorted the midrange fuelling so it's nice and smooth, also pulls from very low revs so I don't have to down change. Try them back to back if you can, give you more of an idea.

Cheers bud!

I’m edging towards finding a sorted ‘08-‘09 GS. I’m sure they ride beautifully!

I’m fairly constrained by budget - I want to keep to my maximum tbh. I’ve looked at alternatives - Explorers, S10’s etc and I keep coming back to the idea of continuing the line of GS’s I’ve owned!

Is there any significant improvement on the MU’s over the ‘04-‘08 bikes?

Thanks for the advice so far everyone!

Twin cam. Smoother. Torquier. All round better engine.

This is what I thought....but I’m not sure I can get as well a sorted TU for the money I’ve got (or I could scrape together above budget). I am on the lookout though, and not in a massive rush, so we’ll see!

I have Done over 50K miles on an 09 and 40K miles on a 2012 Twin cam both fitted with AF-Xieds to sort the fueling and I could not tell the difference between them.
The Twin cam revs a little higher hence the reported extra HP figures.
The only advantage to me is the fuel strip changed back to a float & the final drive is improved on the Twin cam but not an issue as the outer bearing is easy to replace on the 08-09.

Love my 08 GSA , hiltopped , makes a hell of a difference to fueling , not much to separate in performance to the LC's let alone the twin cams !!
Bought with 18k a couple years back , now nearing 40k, no issues apart from a oil sensor ( £100 fix), and new heated grips and a shock rebuild. To be fair it is over 10 year old bike now, so expect some wear and tear. Good luck with your search.

I test rode a single cam, twin cam and LC all one after other at a BMW showroom. The TC stood out above the others for me. Seemed to have more low down grunt and gearbox was well smooth. So I bought the TC. Just serviced and shimmed valve clearances, really eady to work on. Wouldn't change it for any other.

The only advantage to me is the fuel strip changed back to a float & the final drive is improved on the Twin cam but not an issue as the outer bearing is easy to replace on the 08-09.

Thanks for the info Mistacat!

What’s the issue with the 1200’s fuel strip?

Ah, they’re known to fail.... is it a very common issue - and would I need a GS911 to fit a new one of it did fail?

While we’re on it, is a GS911 pretty much part of any 1200 owner’s garage toolkit...? I’m capable of rebuilding a bike from the ground up, but I’ve never touched anything with a canbus system!

If your budget stretches to a TC it isn’t just the motor that was upgraded, gearbox, final drive and ESA as well. 2012 models went back to floats rather than fuel strips. Having said that all the improvements are marginal over the MU...also a great bike. The MU is a significant improvement over 2007 models...so go for an MU as a minimum.

Not much goes wrong other than the FD and rear shock, £150 to repair. Best upgrade for either is to have a remap...transforms the bike.

Cheers oldnfat!

I’m leaning towards the MU tbh.

Can anyone let me know just how to tell a late reg ‘07 from an MU at a glance?

Also, what were ‘extras’ at the time - ESA etc?

On ESA....is it reliable on after 10 years, or is it better to avoid an ESA bike?

2007 GS has fastners on plastic tank fairing that have a dzus-style circular clip, and it has 1200GS written on the tank

2008 update has all torx fastners and no 1200GS writing on tank. 1200GS is written on new metal part to tank fairing panel

If you Google the two you should see the diff

There are several conversions back to float from fuel strip, I have not done any of these so cannot comment on the results. Research needed.
If fitting a strip yourself I am told ? that the BMW 2 year warranty is only valid if BMW fit the strip and chances are that it will fail again.
GS911 I would not leave home without it, I consider it to be the most important part of my bikes tool kit next to puncture repair.
As previously stated the fueling on any of these bikes needs improving by whichever method PC5 , AF-Xieds, Remap etc.
Have had my AFR mapping kit on PC5 and AF-Xied equipped bikes I prefer the AF-Xied,s .
Not had the opportunity to gather data from a remap bike so cannot comment.

My 2010 twin cam has a fuel float not strip. I'm very pleased with performance since fitting decat remus pipes and Hilltop tune. Don't know what the single cam would be like compared to it, but according to the Hilltop dyno figures my bike has similar power to an early lc ?

Back
Top Bottom