Should I look for a 1200GS single or twin cam?

with the right map on the older bike its much faster everywhere.... all the later ones (with the exception of a BM press launch special) that I've ridden (3 others ) over the same two mile climb are 10mph slower, with a bit less everywhere in-between

but the later bike does get a far better gearbox (well worth having - all the ones with black cylinder barrels), it also has traction control as std, which if you can't ride might be helpful or bloody annoying if you can (but if you like pressing buttons you can turn it off or leave in sport if you only want to be irritated frequently instead of constantly). They later one also has the option of ESA which is 50% as useful as buying a decent after market rear shock with a 175nm spring)

bike mag out now has a bit about guy with 190k miles, its only dropped one exhaust valve and no other failures
Just to be clear......are you saying that the single cam 1200 is a stronger engine than the twin cam?

Sent from a U11

Just to be clear......are you saying that the single cam 1200 is a stronger engine than the twin cam?

Sent from a U11

Having had a single cam and twin cam both mapped and another TC with the AF XIED unit on I would disagree with this statement. TC has more torque across a wider band. I would agree however that a set of after market shocks is better than the ESA. Having said that, either is great, go on condition.

Like for like, a remapped twin cam will be a better performer than a remapped single cam.

It's more efficient at burning fuel and has a higher rev ceiling.

Like for like, a remapped twin cam will be a better performer than a remapped single cam.

It's more efficient at burning fuel and has a higher rev ceiling.

But you would need to ride them back to back to notice the difference. The much bigger deal is better reliability from the TC and better resale value.

I like the ESA but it's only really any good with Wilbers dampers and the small mortgage costs to match.

Hi OP bikermike I thought I’d just let you know my little take, in the last ten years but I’ve been biking since 1962 I’ve had one s1000rr and one gs 1200 and one gsa 1200 twin cam. I’ve ridden my son in laws 2016 gsa wc also his k1600 which I liked a lot. But surprise surprise I’m perfectly happy with my old twin cam it’s not mapped or vapped or anything and I’m not going to up it for anything ( well I’m seventy three): Its taken me all over I’ve done my own servicing which for the most part was a doddle. So if I survive my prostate cancer it’ll stay with me till I run out of years. Hope you make the right choice my friend also get your prostate checked guys, ok yes.

Hi OP bikermike I thought I’d just let you know my little take, in the last ten years but I’ve been biking since 1962 I’ve had one s1000rr and one gs 1200 and one gsa 1200 twin cam. I’ve ridden my son in laws 2016 gsa wc also his k1600 which I liked a lot. But surprise surprise I’m perfectly happy with my old twin cam it’s not mapped or vapped or anything and I’m not going to up it for anything ( well I’m seventy three): Its taken me all over I’ve done my own servicing which for the most part was a doddle. So if I survive my prostate cancer it’ll stay with me till I run out of years. Hope you make the right choice my friend also get your prostate checked guys, ok yes.

Hi Fishy!
Thanks for the info! I’d really like a twin cam, but I’m realising it’s pushing my budget to get one with luggage and reasonably low mileage for under £6k.... I’m going to persevere though!
Really hope you’re on the mend too pal - wishing you all the best!
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishy, keep on enjoying every day mate, health to ride.

Mike, don't let the search for a twincam hold you from buying the right single-cam bike if it comes along.

I’m on it Puk! I’ve looked at all the single cams I can find online, hoping to go and see them over the next week or so. Hoping a forum member will offer me something I can’t refuse though!

yes should be a better bike.... worth getting just for the better gear change - but the map mine had when first registered vs the map std twin cams have means overall they are slower and more lethargic everywhere. The pepped up twin cam I rode was bonkers…. power wheelies in 3rd, no problem

Anyone who rides any GS without sorting out the fueling is wasting their lives... its not just about more go - it transforms the bikes from an argumentative, stubborn bucking mule at low rpm (where the first 2k isn't usable) into a one that's a joy to ride. Smoother, safer, better and for good measure faster.

I went to a dealer that had one for £10.6k yesterday, 2013 air cooled 5k miles, every single nut and bolt was rotten..... must have parked in a bath of salt for 5 years (what a waste) I wouldn't have given him 7 for it

Look I don’t want to cause any upsets but my twin cam offers everything I need I take all the foibles in my stride I’ve had a dose of bikes and certainly didn’t feel I needed to add anything in the way of fuelling mods. He** I can get an awful lot of petrol for what some folk spend on fuelling mods I’m happy with the bike and for the op he wants to get in at ground level because of financial constraints. Mate get what you can afford and enjoy biking not fiddling,
All the best in your hunt.

it transforms the bikes from an argumentative, stubborn bucking mule at low rpm (where the first 2k isn't usable) into a one that's a joy to ride. Smoother, safer, better and for good measure faster.

I can get an awful lot of petrol for what some folk spend on fuelling mods

quality not quantity

that's a bit like staying in a B&B with semen stains on the unwashed bed cloths, legionella in the wash basin and a burnt breakfast that's been chlorine washed and served by a grumpy git, when there's a 5 star rated one that's only a fiver more round the corner

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think I’m sorted with an ‘58 plate MU which ticks all the boxes. I’ll get in touch with the fellas at Hilltop over the summer to see if they can sprinkle some more magic over it!

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think I’m sorted with an ‘58 plate MU which ticks all the boxes. I’ll get in touch with the fellas at Hilltop over the summer to see if they can sprinkle some more magic over it!

Result, very pleased for you.

Welcome to the '58 club, great bikes. Wouldn't part with mine.

GS or GSA ??

quality not quantity

that's a bit like staying in a B&B with semen stains on the unwashed bed cloths, legionella in the wash basin and a burnt breakfast that's been chlorine washed and served by a grumpy git, when there's a 5 star rated one that's only a fiver more round the corner

:clap:clap:clap:D:D

Result, very pleased for you.

Welcome to the '58 club, great bikes. Wouldn't part with mine.

GS or GSA ??

Cracking ‘58 GS - picked up last night and rode 130 miles home, beaming all the way. Just need to sort out the tyre pressure sensors... I knew these ones were iffy before I bought it. I’ll do the battery swap thing before replacing them, but as the tyres are new it could be a good while before I take them off! That, or wait until winter..... I think it’s just the rear one, as the front shows 2.4 then drops off when the warning light comes on after 30 miles.

b5bbdc0435273a6945fe98e772c43fe7.jpg

a6ce25dc7727dde8a00993274d8d1d02.jpg

I’ll put some better pics up later!

Properly happy!

Cool. Think about the Af Xied's. In a few years should you decide to trade up to a later one they can be transferred across, or sold if you change marque. Can't do that with a remap :) And you can fit them yourself at home.

Last edited:
re TPMS (RDC in german) yes, if ones out the bike has a moment and kills the info from the remaining one and just flashes the low fuel light.... (for pedantic contributors - yes we all know its really an amber error light but also has the great effect of losing the fuel reminder)

highly likely to be a battery... they tend to last 9 to 11 years regardless of mileage. Nintendo batteries have tags attached to make fitting easier, 4 quid on ebay vs £137 plus vat from BM. watch out for crooks in Spain and America selling genuine ones for 70 quid, they are fake trash and don't work right.. It would be better to buy new Chinese fakes for 30 quid a pair

Looks a cracker. Hilltop and a givi af330 screen and jobs a goodun. Personally I’d just ditch the tyre sensors, unnecessary gadget that’s guaranteed to fail, especially after 10+ years.

Great looking bike there Mike! (I'm not jealous;). Call in if you are in my area, kettle's always on!
Chris.

Back
Top Bottom