Charging Power Banks while on the move.

Bandare

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
With more and more devices needing to be charged while you're away from cameras to helmet intercom's, phones and drones etc,

I think the easiest way to have power for the evening to recharge things before getting back on the bike is with a power bank.

I wanted to ask, does anyone charge their powerpack (power bank) while they're riding during the day and if so, what type will charge via a GS system that's not 240v?

I have a 2002 R1150GSA and want to know if I need to adapt any wiring or need a special device.

Any thoughts welcome :)

When 'on tour' I charge two in my tank bag and one, in turn, keeps my phone charged. My power comes from additional 12V sockets I wired in directly from a fuseblock which is connected to the battery. I haven't checked any charging rate or current load but would expect the standard 12V supply outlet to work fine.

I charge a 16800mAh Portable Car Jump Starter Power Battery Booster Peak Currency 800A with Dual USB from the 12v point by the gear lever, works a treat. Massive capacity and emergency jump start if needed (but obviously not through the 12v socket)
A different make, but one of these
dff4ed5cad27f2d29e0559e165bbaf96.jpg

I have a 26800mAh powerbank that I use to keep the iphone connected while riding (I use it for data on the GPS and it drains the battery) + charging the extra batteries for the gopro when I need or camera, etc.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/26800mAh-P...y&sprefix=powerbank,aps,130&sr=8-3-spons&th=1

It normally lasts a couple of days withouth a charge, but if needed I recharge it from my (07) GS onboard socket with USB adaptor.

Easy.

Cool. I presumed as I usually charge a powerbank via the mains, it would not charge via the bike easily.

Takes a while.

Any powerbank over 20000mAh will probably last you a couple of days or more, and charges fully overnight form the mains, so there is no need to charge it off the bike unless you are camping all the time.

Any powerbank over 20000mAh will probably last you a couple of days or more, and charges fully overnight form the mains, so there is no need to charge it off the bike unless you are camping all the time.

Seems the easiest way to do it to me.

It’s getting weird. First off all bods worried about charging their phones from the bike. Now it’s worrying about charging their powerbanks, to charge their phones..... and their drones.... and their helmet entertainment systems.....

Seems the easiest way to do it to me.

It’s getting weird. First off all bods worried about charging their phones from the bike. Now it’s worrying about charging their powerbanks, to charge their phones..... and their drones.... and their helmet entertainment systems.....

The times they are a changing' ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e7qQ6_RV4VQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:beerjug:

I use a Anker 26800 - its superb - it will charge 3 things at once and has dual charging - two leads go into the charger then into a special 3 pin socket that plugs into the wall - fast charged in 6 hours from flat- lasts quite a while - great bit of kit

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I drilled a hole in the base of my Givi top box. Inserted a rubber grommet then ran a dual USB charging cable to the fuse block I have under the seat. Works a treat. I charge 2 power banks whilst riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The times they are a changing' ...

:beerjug:

This is getting more weird...

.... I charge 2 power banks whilst riding.

Where will it end?

Your comment does make me chuckle - so true indeed!

But I think if going away with a pillion on an adventure it is good to chat if you have the comms and that only works if you can keep it powered. As I like camping, having the power to charge the helmets can be a pain at night.

I have routed power into my top box so that (if needed) I can charge any item I need whilst riding.

never leave home without one of these Mr fusion for all your gadgetry charging needs

Attachments

• 41WbhJfoR8L._SX425_.jpg
    41WbhJfoR8L._SX425_.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 388
Cool. I presumed as I usually charge a powerbank via the mains, it would not charge via the bike easily.

It should charge at a similar rate - as it's charging via 5v it wouldn't know if its plugged into the mains or the bike.

I've rigged up a cig lighter socket in my top box via a fused feed from the battery and can use a Huawei Supercharger or whatever the feck it's called to charge my phone in about 40 mins. Most other things take longer...

D.

AntiGravity XP-1 can recharge from bike 12V (slower than from mains). It can jump start your bike. It can power phones/tablets. It has a torch. It can also power laptops baby! Yeah!

More lads now use more tech stuff while traveling - simple. Each to their own. And they gots ta keep it all powered somehow...

i only need to charge my phone and helmet sena. To do this i charge the phone using the USB lead connected to the bike via a cig socket / usb adapter on the battery terminals. So the phone is charging through the day to use of the bike at night. I then charge the helmet at the B and B were I am ...No need for a power bank here ......YET .....there was a good thread on power banks that will jump start the bikes and I am still considering one of these , but it would only be used on an overnight trip and carried in the small Touratech tool box ( if one fits)

I resolve the gadget charging problem by having my butler charge everything at the hotel overnight.

If I'm slumming it, I don't take my butler.

More or less any pocket sized powerbank you buy on amazon or eBay will charge via USB - which is 5V.

The easiest way to get 5V is from the bike’s 12V supply eg on the GS LC there is a 12V socket to the right of the instrument panel. I just put a dual USB charger into that “cigarette lighter” port and run the cables into my tank bag. One cable charges my phone, and one cable charges my powerbank which I then use to charge everything else.

The only thing to note is that the “cigarette lighter“ port is the narrower / German type, not the wider type found on most cars sold in the UK.

The huge powerbanks which can jump start your bike would take a long time to charge via USB, so are best charged overnight from mains. But you can keep them topped up from the bikes 12V via a USB as described above.

I tend to charge my helmet and camera overnight in the hotel / B&B.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom