GSA Auxiliary Light Switch

buncobooth

Reaction score
I have just had the aux light switch replaced on my 2008 GSA as it was switching the lights off when you so much as touched it ! On the old switch, the little green light came on when the lights were on and went out when they were off, on the new switch the light is on all the time which makes no sense to me :) Does anybody else have this issue or does this indicate a faulty switch ?

It’s probably faulty.
But easily repairable.
Mine wouldn’t stay on.
Took the rocker switch apart.
The issue was that the plastic pivot was too short and not enough to stay on one position.
So I put something in the base to make it a tad longer. Put it back together and voilà.

You might want to fix the first one you replaced.

Wish I had documented this properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW like to do special stuff with the canbus

I retrofitted the aux loom off a later bike and once I sussed the set up of the 4 pin connector under the tank thought I'd got it working but then ended up with the green led on constantly... and had to rewire
they have switched earths and live that are only live once the alternator is outputting stable current - all of which play with how an old boy thought electrics worked. Maybe worth checking part numbers between an old K25 bike and the later air cooled bikes.

the original loom for axu lights on 2006 to 2007 bike comes with a relay as part of the loom and does stuff they never needed to do... the 2008 bikes went normal using a different loom

pin outs for the 2006 to 2007 hex head bike's 4 pin connector under the tank (above the ZFE is actually)

Pin 1 Red Green - Perm +12v
Pin 2 Purple - Neg when engine running
Pin 3 Brown Purple - Ignition Switched +12v
Pin 4 Brown - Perm Earth

so using a 2008 loom I needed to cut the red and add in a relay.... I didn't document how the switch works and can't remember now but its very odd with 3 pins switching earths if I remember correctly

as for the Nav connector I found some more fun from the can bus here....

one pin constant earth (for want of knowing I'll call that pin 1)
the pin at the other end (pin 3) is 14.4 v when the alternator is stable
leaving pin 2 being a switched earth once the alternator is producing stable output but with 2v missing so you get 12V not 14V which is some special earth idea

key out of the bike the power drains away over time a bit like a capacitor leaking down, all very weird

I'm pretty sure the GSA aux lights are not can bus controlled. A pair of fuses are located under LHS petrol tank trim cover.

The LHS handlebar switch is rubbish. Mine was replaced but soon enough was playing up again. I tried the milk carton packing but it didn't help for long. In the end I fitted a self illuminating toggle switch to the beak top. Problem solved.

the power / earth is controlled by the engine running and stable output of the alternator the later twin cam can have aux lights bulb failure warning enabled via the can bus

Back
Top Bottom