Gear Shift Assist notchy?

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was chatting to Tall Lad on our group rideout yesterday and I asked him how his bike was after we did his Valve Check and Cam Alignment adjustment.

Great, he said. Then commented how smooth his Gear Shift Assist (quickshifter) was up and down the gearchanges, since we adjusted the cam alignment. Before we did the work it was notchy and harsh at times. He loves how its so smooth and easy to use now.

I concurred as mine is super smooth as well.

So I just thought I'd mention our findings on here, if your gear shift assist is unpleasant, notchy, grinding, harsh, bumpy, stiff..... and not super smooth..... it could be your cam alignment needs redoing.

:D

How does that work then? other than there is a sensor on the cam?.. but otherwise no connection??

How does that work then? other than there is a sensor on the cam?.. but otherwise no connection??

It's Classified.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill myself...

It's on a knee to nodes basis.

I'd have a guess though....

The cam speed sensor sends a signal to the ECU which identifies when the pistons are at the correct position for spark ignition.

If the cam speed sensor is not correctly aligned, and the cams are out of alignment, the quickshifter won't be in sync either...

So when you change gear, the quickshifter tells the ignition to cut the ignition spark as it's about to change gear... the cam sensor may not be sending the correct position information at exactly the same time....

So the quickshifter might be telling the ECU to cut a spark that isn't there for another millisecond later..... as it's all out of alignment.

This means the engine is still under load (partly), hence the resistance, clucky, crunching crap going on.

Quickshifters work on milliseconds, so it appears to make a difference and needs to be in alignment with the cam position sensors and (obviously) the correct cam alignment.

The better everything is in alignment, the sweeter your quickshifter is...

That's my final answer...... :D

I'd have a guess though....

The cam speed sensor sends a signal to the ECU which identifies when the pistons are at the correct position for spark ignition.

If the cam speed sensor is not correctly aligned, and the cams are out of alignment, the quickshifter won't be in sync either...

So when you change gear, the quickshifter tells the ignition to cut the ignition spark as it's about to change gear... the cam sensor may not be sending the correct position information at exactly the same time....

So the quickshifter might be telling the ECU to cut a spark that isn't there for another millisecond later..... as it's all out of alignment.

This means the engine is still under load (partly), hence the resistance, clucky, crunching crap going on.

Quickshifters work on milliseconds, so it appears to make a difference and needs to be in alignment with the cam position sensors and (obviously) the correct cam alignment.

That's my final answer...... :D

Anybody making a raise on that...........:hippy

Oh... and just to add.

Tall Lads bike is a 2014 reg on 24000 miles and mine is a 2017 reg on 14000 miles. Both bikes were in spec on Valve Clearances.

But both bikes were out on Cam Alignment, and had to be readjusted.

If these bikes had gone into a BMW Dealer.....

A) Would they have checked anything at all? (Cynical side of me thinks there are busy rogue dealers who would do nothing except bill you) as it's a time consuming job and most bike valves are always within range :blast

B) If they checked the Valve Clearances and they were in specification..... would they even bother continuing to do the Cam Alignment? :nenau ... or just put it all back together again and leave it as it is. I suspect this would be the case, again to save time.

C) I would suspect you would have to tell them to do a Cam Alignment.... when it's in for Valve Clearance service. Or it just won't get done.

... and in the meantime, you'll always complain about how shit the BMW Gear Shift Assist Pro is.... when it isn't it's fault. :blast

This is my bike and how the Gear Shift Assist should sound like, turn the volume up and have a listen.... smooth as silk and sweet as :thumb2

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AyO4x-M3pow" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well if your ever taking bookings, I’m in as my shift assist has all of the flaws you mention. And it’s only 2k on since the last valve check so not going to have a dealer in there for a while.

I read a how too and it looks fairly straightforward but don’t really want to buy the alignment tool, tensioner tool etc

but even as it was, how far out could it be?.. bet no more that 1 or 2 deg max... how does the sensor trigger work... can you adjust that once you've set the cams? reson I ask, my bike had a new exhaust cam fitted due to ticking on the pressure reliefe thing.. but having got it back, I'm not sure its as good as it was..... so something I want to do at some point... but looking on line, it just looks like you set the trigger by eye and clamp it up... so how accurate is that?

but even as it was, how far out could it be?.. bet no more that 1 or 2 deg max... how does the sensor trigger work... can you adjust that once you've set the cams? reson I ask, my bike had a new exhaust cam fitted due to ticking on the pressure reliefe thing.. but having got it back, I'm not sure its as good as it was..... so something I want to do at some point... but looking on line, it just looks like you set the trigger by eye and clamp it up... so how accurate is that?

When you align the cams, using the cam alignment jig, you then have to refit the Sensor Wheel. It has a notch on it, which you then align with the notch on the speed sensor.

I'm not going to argue the ins and outs of degrees and it's implications, because I don't know.... but my experience on two bikes with Gear Shift Assist says it matters and made a difference :)

Bikes without Gear Shift Assist probably doesn't matter with the timing being out slightly as it doesn't impact anything else.

But yes, you refit and reset the sensor wheel by hand and clamp it up.

Shaun, how much should we charge for Tool Hire :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom