Removing key broken off in ignition

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
My key has broken off in the ignition and at the moment the broken part still in the lock means the bike can be started with a screwdriver, and I also can't use the steering lock.

I can't retrieve it the broken key using needle tweezers or paper clips. I did briefly think of trying to superglue the stub of the key and put it in the lock to stick to the bit that's stuck, but with my luck I will probably glue the whole assembly together.

So unless anyone has any bright ideas it looks like removing the ignition barrel and taking it to a locksmith...

A 2017 post from KTMtwins site
I haven't actually replaced my ignition, but I looked into it when I got my SMC-R, since it only came with a single key. To get to the ignition barrel you'll have to remove the air box, as well as the coolant reservoir iirc (that might be to get it out though, but still)

Now comes the tricky bit. According to my local dealer, you'll have to drill out the screws as they're broken off at the factory (my dealer quoted me $260 just to replaced the lock). However, when I pulled my bike apart to look at it, I found that mine was bolted on with regular 10mm hex screws. It could very possibly be that the ignition on mine has already been replaced though, so you might not be so lucky.

I used this method with some success

Take a safety pin and open it out, with pliers bend a tiny up turn in the very last millimetre of the point. You can then use this to gently press down one side of the key and pull up gently. It might budge a millimetre.

Repeat on the other side of the key and repeat alternating each side. With luck it will slowly rock to and fro outwards

Thickest part of key you can see, drill bit that size, mm probably, superglue on flat end of drill bit and glue that to thick part of key, try wriggling to see if it moves although there might not be enough surface area to work with.
Very Strong magnet??

Get a sewing needle stand it on eye end and tap sharp end with a hammer to make a burr on it = shuv it down end aside the key and it can catch into the side of key pull out slowly and carefully
HTHY

I have used the superglue method quite successfully on broken bolts and keys.
Worth a try if all else fails.

If you can remove the lock and knock it against a piece of wood to shock the key out. JJH

My key has broken off in the ignition and at the moment the broken part still in the lock means the bike can be started with a screwdriver, and I also can't use the steering lock.

I can't retrieve it the broken key using needle tweezers or paper clips. I did briefly think of trying to superglue the stub of the key and put it in the lock to stick to the bit that's stuck, but with my luck I will probably glue the whole assembly together.

So unless anyone has any bright ideas it looks like removing the ignition barrel and taking it to a locksmith...

A 2017 post from KTMtwins site [/FONT]

Did you get it out ok ?

Back
Top Bottom