Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Up side of 1250 on tour

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Outtomunch View Post
    That has to be part of the story, for sure, but also the tractor engines are relatively low revving and have much heavier flywheels compared to an IL4 or modern V twin so rev drops as the QS kills the ignition are not as kind to a QS...................fecking things seem pointless on a GS anyway, it's marketing over substance.

Andres

That flywheel thingy is a good point. The quick shifter is pointless on a GS.

2017 R1200GSA & Africa Twin Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by stick View Post
    Go take a test ride , figures really wont give a true picture as its much better , 3 of us have changed and would not go back to the old bike , so look at it that way round rather than would you upgrade , ie would we down grade now , NO
    Yes Stick, I would agree with you.

But you are not having £7000 worth more fun because of it. So don't kid yourself.

It's still the same bike with a bit more power....

When I upgrade to the new R1250 I'm sure I would never go back to a R1200 as well, but in the meantime you're still doing exactly all the things I can do on my R1200.

But you've just spent another £7k to do it

That's why I spent £3000 upgrading my existing R1200... it's still a bloody good bike and doesn't deserve selling just because the new kid is on the block, it isn't that big of a step.

... and if you really need all that power above 100 mph, where it makes the most difference, are you really on the right bike anyways?

In my opinion....

Oh my god, can you see any corrosion yet?

I think my issue isn't with the new R1250

I think my issue is the idea of throwing BMW another £7000 for what I see as pretty much the same bike, with same quality piss poor parts

I'd rather throw the money at Ohlins, Brembo, Hyperpro, Wunderlich and build my own machine hybrid on an already good platform

Carry on....

I have never had an issue with Gear Shift Assist on my 2014 RT, thought it was a bit clunky and never used it until after 2nd. But it worked well. Now on my 1250 RT it is vastly improved and again it works really well. Not sure what the difficulty is with it, on the throttle to shift up, off to shift down, simples

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    Thats because you're using it properly
    Don't tell him that

warlord could be onto something here,Probably trying to quickshift gears at 900 rpm on a partly opened throttle and wonders why it isn't as smooth as his wanking hand?

... and if you really need all that power above 100 mph, where it makes the most difference, are you really on the right bike anyways?

In my opinion....
    Rather the opposite, you won't notice the few more horses up top, where the 1250 really shines is sub 6000rpm. From 2000rpm the 1250 just goes, no waiting for it to get into its stride, By 5000rpm the 1250 is making more torque ( 12ftlb I think) than the 1200 does at its peak. You don't need the extra up top in real life riding, if you do lots of two up touring the extra grunt will be a big bonus and may well be worth the extra money.
    Having said that I think the 1250 has lost some of its character, the engine is almost too smooth, more like an electric motor.
    I will hang onto my 1200 and like Warlord do a few things to it, a good handling bike gives confidence and will make you quicker than more power does.

Quote Originally Posted by CPJS View Post
    Rather the opposite, you won't notice the few more horses up top, where the 1250 really shines is sub 6000rpm. From 2000rpm the 1250 just goes, no waiting for it to get into its stride, By 5000rpm the 1250 is making more torque ( 12ftlb I think) than the 1200 does at its peak. You don't need the extra up top in real life riding, if you do lots of two up touring the extra grunt will be a big bonus and may well be worth the extra money.
    Having said that I think the 1250 has lost some of its character, the engine is almost too smooth, more like an electric motor.
    I will hang onto my 1200 and like Warlord do a few things to it, a good handling bike gives confidence and will make you quicker than more power does.
    I agree that the R1250 torque mid-range would be very beneficial to touring with heavy luggage and/or pillion.... and overtaking at speed.

That is definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    You could have rode to Paris, stick the bike on the train, get off at Nice, ferry happy days, food for thought for next time.....
    Would you happen to have details of the 'car trains' from Paris to Nice and/or others from e.g. Calais etc? Thanks dude.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJ GSA View Post
    Would you happen to have details of the 'car trains' from Paris to Nice and/or others from e.g. Calais etc? Thanks dude.
    Everything you wanted to know about car trains (motorail) but we’re afraid to ask

https://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Weird Bob View Post
    Everything you wanted to know about car trains (motorail) but we’re afraid to ask

https://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm
    Thanks Bob.

Yes Stick, I would agree with you.

But you are not having £7000 worth more fun because of it. So don't kid yourself.

When I upgrade to the new R1250 I'm sure I would never go back to a R1200 as well, but in the meantime you're still doing exactly all the things I can do on my R1200.

But you've just spent another £7k to do it

That's why I spent £3000 upgrading my existing R1200... it's still a bloody good bike and doesn't deserve selling just because the new kid is on the block, it isn't that big of a step.

In my opinion....
    The power is low down not over 100 , we know.
    Some have the chance to change and will as the cost is not important or relevant to the upgrade , I would agree that the old bike could be improved with suspension as could the new one , but you cant modify the engine to get the improvements the new power plant offers.
    I would also add that the suspension can be upgraded to a fully active system (tractive) as they can build to road bias , so no need to fiddle with settings and worry about the up and coming road conditions as per the manual systems (click click fiddle fiddle )
    The benefit of the upgrade would again push the new bike well ahead of the upgraded older bike IMHO of course .Onwards and forward as you say

I agree the Ohlins Pre-load setup is a time consuming pain in the ass.... but once it's done and noted... that's it.... done.

Yes the Rebound and Compression is a time consuming pain in the ass.... but again, once it's done and noted... that's it.... done.

As I ride Solo 99% of time, and 99% on road only... I don't even have to think about pressing a button. It's setup, 100% to me, to my style, on the roads that I ride. The bike is 100% consistant in ride height, quality suspension that won't fade, or cavitate with heat buildup, or have electronic failure, or dump its oil.

Yes, I agree, if you are on/off touring, offroading big bumps, massive weight fluctutions with pillion etc buy the TT Tractive ESA kit.

But I don't need that stretch lycra bollocks, my suit is now tailor fit.

I agree the Ohlins Pre-load setup is a time consuming pain in the ass.... but once it's done and noted... that's it.... done.

Yes the Rebound and Compression is a time consuming pain in the ass.... but again, once it's done and noted... that's it.... done.

As I ride Solo 99% of time, and 99% on road only... I don't even have to think about pressing a button. It's setup, 100% to me, to my style, on the roads that I ride. The bike is 100% consistant in ride height, quality suspension that won't fade, or cavitate with heat buildup, or have electronic failure, or dump its oil.

Yes, I agree, if you are on/off touring, offroading big bumps, massive weight fluctutions with pillion etc buy the TT Tractive ESA kit.

But I don't need that stretch lycra bollocks, my suit is now tailor fit.
    I see your point , but having done similar to you in the past , as good as it was it was never as consistant as you say , the TT version can be made to road spec, and will out perform the manual set up all day as it too is set for me not everyone as the standard system is.
    Talking to both TT and Tractive the system is not as you say for only off roading and long trips its also for the guy who like roads only and can be made to suit.
    I did look at the Ohlins version but decided to take away all that system would be backwards rather than improving the existing with a tailor made setup. The Tractive system works the same as the ohlins in adjustment but with the trickery extra.

Quote Originally Posted by roundincircles View Post
    That flywheel thingy is a good point. The quick shifter is pointless on a GS.

Compared to many similar bikes, the GS may be described as a tractor engine, and the QS will operate less refined than engines with less internal mass.

Even so, when you learn it's ways and accept it's limitations, it's still a handy feature. During rapid acceleration it works fine, and when riding standing up, the downshifting blipper is a wonderful feature.
    Given the low cost of adding the QS, in my opinion it will be silly not to get it as you will be using it more often than expected, even if it may be less refined than on comparable bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by knutk View Post
    Compared to many similar bikes, the GS may be described as a tractor engine, and the QS will operate less refined than engines with less internal mass.

Even so, when you learn it's ways and accept it's limitations, it's still a handy feature. During rapid acceleration it works fine, and when riding standing up, the downshifting blipper is a wonderful feature.
    Given the low cost of adding the QS, in my opinion it will be silly not to get it as you will be using it more often than expected, even if it may be less refined than on comparable bikes.
    Good points. Again its about expectations and perspective.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast