Thread: GS Adventure yay or nay

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

GS Adventure yay or nay

Hi guys
    New member here looking for some advice on purchasing a 2014 r1200gsa.

I’ve seen a bike on fleabay (item 273833283513) it has touratech tractive extreme suspension fitted which is manually adjustable, my riding is always with a pillion and luggage & Road use only so the suspension would be set & left alone.

I have owned a Gs long ago 04 I think, only kept it for six months as seat was very uncomfortable for rider & passenger on long distance touring.

Any feedback about the said suspension will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tony....

Why not go for a long test ride on one with your pillion and see what you think?
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs

2008 R1200 GSA {R.I.P}
    2009 R1200 GSA
    2013 F800 GS
    2018 R1200 GSA Rallye

Well I’ve pulled the pin, it’s getting delivered on Friday. I’m the kind who worry’s before it’s broke so I’m happy it’s got Tractive shocks front & rear, wouldn’t like to have the esa shocks start leaking when touring Europe that would put a big dampener on the trip.
    Looking for a used navigator 5 to complete the package.
    The last bike we toured on was a Triumph Trophy se, The best & most comfortable tourer we’ve ever had, wish I never sold it!
    Thanks guys...
    Tony....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony toolbox View Post
    Well I’ve pulled the pin, it’s getting delivered on Friday. I’m the kind who worry’s before it’s broke so I’m happy it’s got Tractive shocks front & rear, wouldn’t like to have the esa shocks start leaking when touring Europe that would put a big dampener on the trip.
    Looking for a used navigator 5 to complete the package.
    The last bike we toured on was a Triumph Trophy se, The best & most comfortable tourer we’ve ever had, wish I never sold it!
    Thanks guys...
    Tony....
    Your starting from a bad place already; comparing it to the best bike you've ever had; and wishing you'd never sold. Hope it goes well for you.

It looks like someones pride and joy and more time and money was spent making it just right than actually riding it (7800 miles in 5 years) Best of luck with it but I'd get a decent test tide in with wife before fully committing. Any GSA 14-18 will do...it could be a pricey mistake if the Mrs hates it

FWIW

My advice FWIW is initially as above try it, but if it’s not Uber comfortable then don’t give up. My 05 GS was rubbish comfortwise with the standard seat and then I discovered Corbin seats.
    That GS went on to do another 30k miles with me before I p/exd it against a New Triumph Explorer in 12. That has also had a Corbin after the first 12 months as it would try to cripple me after more than an hour on the standard comfort seat.
    Undoubtedly I will end up getting Corbin seats for the new 1250GS that is on its way. Don’t forget that OEM seats are made for an ‘average’ person and who ever he is they are probably comfortable for, certainly for me I haven’t found a standard seat that I could tolerate for more than an hour. I had a run on Trophy and it was OK but still nowhere in the same league as a Corbin.
    If it ain't broke.....customise it!

We’ll see how we get on with the seats touring Europe this summer & go from there.
    Wow them Corbin seats are expensive! but if needs must!
    Thanks guys....
    Tony...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony toolbox View Post
    We’ll see how we get on with the seats touring Europe this summer & go from there.
    Wow them Corbin seats are expensive! but if needs must!
    Thanks guys....
    Tony...
    They are expensive Tony, although often come up 2nd hand but they go quick! I wouldn’t have a bike (that I am going to be on for more than an hour) without one now, even to the point I will limit what new bikes I look at based around availability of seats for them.
    There are that good, they seem quite hard when you first sit on them but after a couple hours (or more) you will be thinking ‘OMG I am not uncomfortable!’....
    Longest Ride I have done on one is Munich to Dunkirk Ferry terminal with stops for fuel and lunch, my mate at the time riding a KTM IIRC was almost unable to walk when we got off and he didn’t have Artritis in his hips as I do (although I have now had one replaced!).
    If it ain't broke.....customise it!