Brake cable routing

byron

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My newly acquired 1986 Paris Dakar G/S has what I believe to be 100 G/S front forks and I’m rather unhappy with the routing of the brake line from the master cylinder to the caliper. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where I can purchase suitable clips or clamps or anything else that might tidy it up.
It would be helpful if someone could confirm what the forks are and also the caliper on the front which compare to my 1989 80 GS front brake is amazing. Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 69168980-9A3A-412B-858F-642D434DF64B.jpg
    69168980-9A3A-412B-858F-642D434DF64B.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 350
  • F6C90190-120C-4F82-BD0F-075B307F627B.jpg
    F6C90190-120C-4F82-BD0F-075B307F627B.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 356
  • 4233FE9E-C35F-4369-B020-CA0025107AE4.jpg
    4233FE9E-C35F-4369-B020-CA0025107AE4.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 395F9C4B-665A-4ABB-9271-4D2792A95855.jpg
    395F9C4B-665A-4ABB-9271-4D2792A95855.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 388
A bit of a bitsa, I think. The forks and front wheel look like R100GS paralever. Don’t know about the brake caliper. The brake hose roting seems to be because it’s toolong.

Dont think that brake hose mounting / routing would please an MOT tester :eek:

I could be wrong though ;)

Cross spoke front wheel would suggest that its from a paralever r80gs or r100gs...... so it follows that the forks are probably from the same...
The brake looks like a r1200gs brake to me.......or just a modern brembo calliper from anything modern.
If it works.... leave it, unless you want the R80G/S to be completely original, which will require: Wheel, brake disk, forks, brake line, fork brace and brake calliper at least (= lots of cash ! )

Otherwise the bike looks good.... health to ride, and keep it rubber side down!

Bubb

Having spent quite a bit of time rerouting the cables on my twin disc conversion I believe that the metal lower brake pipe shown in the picture is for the standard R80G/S Brembo which normally sits behind the callipers with the standard forks fitted. It will not route right, too short and not bent correctly.

You could go down the option of purchasing the solid lower brake pipe off the R100GS which should route the cable back behind the fork (however your calliper position may be slightly different) and use the clip as per the parts diagram shown above. This would be neat.

faa1a1fb9c90848b70bfc7646385ba7b.jpg

I used some brake guides off a Triumph Bobber to hold my lines neatly in place as the original brake line clamps are out of production now.

8431c6925eac3d43a081ce5e34c2d276.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Byron, if you follow the system F8GS shows and connect a new hose with a banjo and bolt direct to a caliper with a hole designed for a screw in ferrule take care , as it is possible to get it wrong.
Not all calipers are machined flat and square for the banjo , and not all banjo bolts are the same length.
Some bolts are a fraction too long and will bottom out just at the point where they should be crushing the washers - DAHIK
Motorworks might have the bits you need secondhand, or any brake shop will be able to make you a longer solid pipe to work with a your existing braided line , with the existing G/S type guide modified to bolt to the mounting point on the forks for the GS low guard instead of clamped by the gaiter hose clip.

Just noticed that there is another hose guide on the lower triple , you can follow thee link above to the list for the top half of the forks .

Thanks for your help so far

Thanks everyone for the help so far , the 100 Gs forks were fitted by the second previous owner( I am the 5th) for stability together with a better brake caliper.
I have spotted the 6 mm holes on the edge of the full price and I’m quite prepared to replace both the brake pipe and cable . I was wondering if anyone has a appointment that I could buy from them to be re furbished

Attachments

• 45EA458E-4FA0-4E7E-8495-39A5862AE5C5.jpg
    45EA458E-4FA0-4E7E-8495-39A5862AE5C5.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 287
Thanks for your help so far

Thanks everyone for the help so far , the 100 Gs forks were fitted by the second previous owner( I am the 5th) for stability together with a better brake caliper.
I have spotted the 6 mm holes on the edge of the full price and I’m quite prepared to replace both the brake pipe and cable . I was wondering if anyone has a appointment that I could buy from them to be re furbished

I think predictive text is interfering with your bike parts :D

Full price = fork brace but what’s an appointment?

Siri on the iPhone

I think predictive text is interfering with your bike parts :D

Full price = fork brace but what’s an appointment?
Using my iPhone with Siri can cause all sorts of fun!!!!
Anyway I have managed to find the oem bracket and rubber grommet, so they are ordered and then I can get a brake pipe made to the correct length with a nice swan neck. Then I can look for a P clamp that with a M8 hole to fit into the lower triple clamp . Thanks for all your assistance guys, but does anyone have an idea where or what the calliper is? As I may want pads soon.

does anyone have an idea where or what the calliper is? As I may want pads soon.

Brembo P4 (of which there are numerous models).
The HE caliper was a copy of it and has been withdrawn, probably on copy-write grounds, and the same pads fit.
I know BMWBoxerSupples sells them as I get mine there. Cant help with a part number though...

Replace the cable tie with a metal hose clip and it'll be fine.... In fact i'm sure the two garages i use for mot's would pass it as it is.. As i'm sure the previous MOT testers have with your bike.

Using my iPhone with Siri can cause all sorts of fun!!!!
Anyway I have managed to find the oem bracket and rubber grommet, so they are ordered and then I can get a brake pipe made to the correct length with a nice swan neck. Then I can look for a P clamp that with a M8 hole to fit into the lower triple clamp . Thanks for all your assistance guys, but does anyone have an idea where or what the calliper is? As I may want pads soon.
Brembo Goldline P4. Used in a lot of bikes including BMW. Pads are the equivalent of EBC FA244HH

Back
Top Bottom