What cloud storage do you use for photos and videos?

JohnnyOldBoy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Starting to realise my wife and I have photos and videos being backed up and stored across multiple iCloud and OneDrive accounts, many of which are duplicates. I also have 9,000+ photos and videos on my PC which I access using Photoshop Elements, these are backed up, when I remember to do it, on a thumb drive.

There must be a more elegant way of doing this. Ideally I would like photos and videos automatically backed up from all devices to one cloud account where I can edit/delete them and both of us can view them.

Any recommendations or workflows which work for you?

I use Smugmug.

It's not the cheapest (but hardly expensive in the great scheme of things) but it's widely used by pros as well as mere mortals like us which gives me some confidence in the platform's longevity.

Over and above that it works really well, has a host of advanced features should you want to use them and does what it says on the tin.

Andres

I back mine up onto a remote hard drive storage thingy. I don't bother with cloud storage, mainly because I'm a tech numpty and don't really understand it.

Google Photos has unlimited storage. They say they reduce quality but iirc if a file is under 18MB it is full resolution.

I also have BT Internet and they give me 1TB of cloud, so I synced my Pictures folder there too.

I used to use Flickr but they started charging recently.

Mega offers 50GB free cloud too but you may need more than that.

If you have Amazon Prime, that comes with 1TB?

Also if you have Office365 that has 1TB each for up to 5 users.

HTH

A

using SmugMug for years, recommend it.

What happens if you want to change to another provider? Can you transfer your albums from one to another or do you have to manually upload it all again. Ideally, I would want to clear all my stuff from my hard drive to free up space so my computer etc.

I use icloud.....Macbook user and I got a message saying I didn't have enough free storage did I want to upgrade for €2.99 a month so it was click and forget.

What happens if you want to change to another provider? Can you transfer your albums from one to another or do you have to manually upload it all again. Ideally, I would want to clear all my stuff from my hard drive to free up space so my computer etc.

personally , I would never use one site to backup photos. Hard drives are dirt cheap, you can buy 2 external drives and use them to backup your photos as well as an online account.

link below to external hard drives on amazon. 2 tb for £60...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/External-Hard-Drives/b?ie=UTF8&node=430544031

There are loads of articles on a backup solution for photos. 2 local backups and an online site is generally recommended. I have a nas which backs up all of my photos to one central location. I use lightroom with SmugMug and upload all photos to SmugMug also.

SmugMug have a good iPhone app, useful for backing up your iPhone photos also, not sure if they do an android version.

hope this helps

Agree with Shay - portable hard drives (more than one).
Also use icloud and smugmug but it’s still too easy for any provider to have technical issues and lose everything.

My favourite photos I always print out anyway - most supermarkets have wifi photo machines

Thanks for the replies. Think that I'm getting the hang of this :D

However, I have a 256GB memory stick lying around which I could use. Is that inferior to the dedicated portable hard drives? Or maybe one of each?

Thanks for the replies. Think that I'm getting the hang of this :D

However, I have a 256GB memory stick lying around which I could use. Is that inferior to the dedicated portable hard drives? Or maybe one of each?

hard drives will fail. Buy a couple of external hard drives and copy your photos to them. Use a free online service like Google Photos or pay for a service like SmugMug.

Are you backing up photos from a camera ? 256gb won't hold many photos. Plan for the future when you have 20 years of photos to store and manage.

Local backup on NAS.
Remote backup on Amazon Glacier that I use for other data storage as well. Cheaper than replacing the hard drives every couple of years or so.

Back
Top Bottom