Migrating from GSA to XR, advice needed please.

Jacal

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As the title says, after riding Boxer engine bikes for the last 12 years, I'm having a change from the latest GSA 1200 to the XR, after a test ride I fell in love with the thing, not quite as comfy as the GSA but not far off.

I'm now looking for the essential extra's, not bling but what you guys say make life easier ie chain maintenance....WOW....Will have to get to grips with that issue after all the shaft drives I've had :)

Also what luggage do you guys use 'and why'? The BMW route looks very expensive for what you get BUT I may be wrong....It has been known :rolleyes:

All advice will be rewarded with a £99 note from my Monopoly bank :beerjug:

Rad & Oil cooler guards. Evotech or R&G. R&G crash bungs, one on each side of engine, in case you drop it. SW Motech tank ring and tank bag. I have two the city bag and daypack. Luggage, you can get all you need on the rear rack with the BMW small bag for a few days, or the BMW large bag for longer trips. But any rear rack waterproof bag would be perfect. Kreiger, Oxford etc. Panniers and top box completely spoil the bike. I've removed the pannier rails and the rear footrest making it much cleaner. Chain, either spray lube every 500 miles or so or fit a scottoiler. Chain is not an issue at all.

Fcukin brilliant bike.

awesome bike, the mods suggested are all good ones. I would recommend some side stand enlarger as the stand is small and the lean quite large - bad combination!!

For my usage - the XR is a far superior bike.

Chain maint: OEM Regina chain is crap quality. But a DID chain and sprocket kit was less than £100 from Busters.
I fitted a S/H Electronic Scottoiler, which may not be justified on cost/benefit when you can change out the chain and sprockets for £100 every 2 yrs - but almost negates the need for chain adjustment in use. otherwise - just keep on top of the lubrication.

Boxes: I went for Givi Trecker Dolomitis on quick release frames (bought from Sportsbikeshop - prob cheapest source for non-BMW panniers) - 33ltrs per side and look pretty good. Other options are SHAD (who also make the boxes for BMW) - good panniers, albeit plastic.

Vibrations through bars: If an issue - just fit some bar-end weights.

I have seen a Triumph compact tailpack fitted to an XR, and it looks and functions well - as a day-pack. You can get them for around £50 off ebay.

OEM tyres (Bridgestone T30) are nothing clever.

HTH

Boxes, I used the SHAD ones, slightly better capacity than the BMW ones but you cant get great deals with these, nice discrete mounting system as well.

Cheers guys for all the recommendations....All duly noted :thumb2

First on the list is Rad and oil guards, they do look pretty vulnerable. Then the rest, I did price the luggage and to be honest thought it was vastly overpriced so maybe a BMW tail bag will suffice my couple of year trips to Germany.

Thanks again lads, tis much appreciated :beerjug:

I wanted more comfort on mine, so fitted the HP seat, bar risers and the HP rearsets. Those upgrades made the bike much more comfortable, but it was still a bit choppy on rough back roads. If that bothers you, Wilbers have a few options for the XR. :thumb

Only 1800 miles into my replacement for a string of GS's. What a stonking, fun bike this is.
I also need to fit rad guards, one of the other XR forums has members fitting ebay guards from china at 1/3 the price of the UK aftermarket mfrs.
A guard is a guard isn't it ? Anyone tried a cheap guard and regretted it ?

I bought a lowered, 2016 XR last summer. I ride it more than my beloved R1200RS. My bike came with a comfy HP seat, R&G rad guards & side stand foot. I have added a Givi tanklock ring and Givi Monokey Quick Release side rails and Givi topcase rack. I already had a tanklock tankbag (Kappa RA308), Givi E45 topbox and Givi E21 panniers. I have also added Grip Puppies and a fly lead from the battery for my Keis heated gear. I have a RAM ball attached to the clutch assembly for my Garmin Zumo 390.

Oh, and for chain maintenance, I'm currently using an aerosol as Eurocarparts had some Mucoff stuff on offer.

I used a Tutoro auto oiler on my Tracer and that worked well. I might fit one in due course but will see how the XR is on a long tour next month. If it is not as comfy as the RS over a multi-day trip then it might just be my local hooning toy and an auto-oiler would be an extravagance.

Back
Top Bottom