Airhead mechanic in the South-West

SteveM

Extreme dog owner
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys, my beloved 1989 R100GS/PD is in need of looking at by someone familiar with the sweet running of these old beasts.
I'm on the Devon & Cornwall border and would like to know if there are any peeps local to me who are good at getting these things running smoothly.
I've attempted to recondition the carbs with kits from Motorworks and cleaned everything in an ultrasonic bath and have followed lots of set up advice that I've found from various sources but all to no avail,
She won't run cleanly and is hard to start, and I fear that everything I do just makes things worse. Time for an expert to look at things, all recommendations considered.
Cheers, Steve.

hard to start...... try the valve clearance settings, as if these are not correct the airheads can be a b*tch to start even if the carbs are correctly set......
I learned the hard way!
Sorry but I cant help re an airhead guru in the south west.

Good luck

You could try John Cawse at Moorland Motorcycles in Okehampton, EX201UE on 01837 54553, knowledgable and not expensive.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions,
I’ll redo the valve clearances first and see if that helps, if it doesn’t I’ll give Mr Cawse a call and deliver the bike to him for a looksee.
As for Sherlock’s, I’ll definitely be giving them a wide berth. They might be fine if you want to buy something online from them but god forbid you actually turn up on their doorstep and meet anyone face to face. I’ll spare you all my recounting of this depressing tale here as I’m sure many people have found their service delightful. I have not (twice).
Cheers, Steve

If it's high mileage, a compression test is worth doing. My GS at 95,000 was a bugger to start but ran fine. Compression test showed low on one cylinder caused by a cracked valve, caused by worn guides. I reckon anything over 80,000 it's worth thinking about new guides and valves, it's not that expensive.

Back
Top Bottom