Noob tent question

I keep looking at the Soulo, but have never yet been quite pissed enough to hit the button … hovered a few times mind!

Although they do look a bit of a pain to put up in the wind with those clips?

I wouldn't sell the Akto as it's a classic …. but a bit too low for us over 6ft, and I have experienced pretty bad condensation if I don't unzip the vents both ends.

Worlds best and most versatile tent is The Hilleberg Nammatj - No question!

Thats probably why I haven't experienced condensation in my Akto, I always have the vents open, I have read about people experiencing condensation, but I never have :)

I suffered from condensation in my MSR but it is hardly surprising really as the temperatures dropped to almost freezing overnight and I was toasty warm inside. No issues inside the sleeping compartment with the second skin but out in the vestibule first thing it was wet from condensation. Hardly surprising really as I was warm inside and it was very cold outside. with a single layer flysheet it is simple physics. I had vents open but no wind at all during the night. Dried off quickly as the sun rose.

Thats probably why I haven't experienced condensation in my Akto, I always have the vents open, I have read about people experiencing condensation, but I never have :)

Perhaps you've never had a long shag on cold foggy night in one :D

Not at all, I've been using my Tarra a lot in Iceland over the last few years which also uses similar clips, it makes it much easier to put up in strong winds.
Ventilation is awesome on the Tarra, mainly due to the weatherproof big roof vent, plus a vestibule at each end which when cracked open (either inner or outer or both) lets a nice flow of air through.
I've yet to test the Soulo for condensation but again it has a roof vent so don't expect any issues.

I almost agree on the Nammatj and came close to getting a 2GT but when camping with my wife all the bike gear can go at one end out of the way in the Tarra and it doesn't matter if the wind direction changes.

A door both sides, and another 4" sleeping length would make the Nammatj perfect.
Never had any condensation, even on the dampest, stillest November nights.

I will get a Soulo. Not this year, but it will happen!

buying 1 tent ...PAH , i have 4 ranging from £180 to £30 , i use the £60 tent the most .

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/voyager-tent/ sleeps 2 if close friends and less than 6'2'' , pitches inner first , i paid £180 nearly new. 1 man and all your clothes.

I bought a Terra Nova Voyager 10 years back from Uttings.
When it came I found it just a bit too short, and exchanged it for the Superlite Voyager which is strangely longer, but still only 205cm sleeping length.
Cracking tent which I still own, but went out of favour trying to get the flysheet over the inner on a very windy Hebridean beach.

I think you have to be realistic about breathability in a small 4 season tent that goes right down to the ground, and has a solid material inner.
A yellow Hubba Bubba designed in Cailfornia for desert use it is not!

Thanks all for your sage-like advice, it has been really helpful. I don't think I'll be looking at an inner-first tent anymore, plus you've given me some good options to have a look at. Thanks....

It’s hardly lightweight 8.2 kgs compared with the Hilleberg Akto at 1.7 kgs, however it is larger and cheaper.

at 6'5" and 20 stone I consider 8.2 kgs light weight, and on a gs with the rest of the luggage its not even relevant to me, but I get your point. I have a tepi tent and that is more than that in weight with ground sheet etc so I suppose is depends on your start point :)

at 6'5" and 20 stone I consider 8.2 kgs light weight, and on a gs with the rest of the luggage its not even relevant to me, but I get your point. I have a tepi tent and that is more than that in weight with ground sheet etc so I suppose is depends on your start point :)

Akto might be a bit too snug for you :)

Go to any Tossers’ gathering of bods in a field (Dent and the old Hograost, for example) and look at the vast array of tents. You’ll soon see that everyman and his dog has their own idea as to what makes the perfect tent.

Robens Lodge 2 is a great tent, good quality and reasonably priced compared to some of the other suggestions in this thread..

I quite liked the big Tipi tent that seemed to be guarding the campervans at Dent this weekend; plenty of room to move around; and a substantial centre pole to help lift yer creaky old arse from the floor. Dont know the pack size or weight; but it looked impressive.

I know a few people with GS's or equivalent adventure bikes and they all have the Hilleberg Soulo. They love it for being light, perfect for 1.5 people and 2 at a real push and super fast to go up in any weather and rare for condensation if one person.

Personally, I'd go with the Hilleberg Allak 2 or 3 :)

I quite liked the big Tipi tent that seemed to be guarding the campervans at Dent this weekend; plenty of room to move around; and a substantial centre pole to help lift yer creaky old arse from the floor. Dont know the pack size or weight; but it looked impressive.

I had a Tentipi and it was indeed a great alternative to your traditional set up. However, IMHO there are 2 things that go against them. Firstly the weight, they are canvas and not light. I had the basic version (Onyx 5 i think) bought from a member on here and it was clear from the get go that it would only be used for me riding solo. At around 8.0 - 8.5kg it's considerably heavier than most traditional tents and they don't pack down very small - definitely one to strap on your pillion seat. I also got a little concerned during a camping trip in Normandy when a significant thunder and lightening storm arrived one night. I moved as far away from the centre pole as i could...
Upside to them is standing room for getting dressed, loads of room inside for all of your kit.

Some pics below for you to have a look at (apologies for the bog role, essential in French campsites)!!

I'd also add that these are not cheap. Whilst i bought mine second hand on here, to buy this set up new you looking at nearly £1k :eek:

Details here:

https://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/tentipi-onyx-5-cp.html

You'll also need one of these:

https://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/tentipi-floors-comfort-floor.html

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1464.jpg
    IMG_1464.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1502.jpg
    IMG_1502.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 194
Robens Green Cone. Perfect for one.
Bags of room and 5.5Kg.
Check out videos on You Tube.
Should be able to get one for £250.00
I use it on a small CCM GP450 across the back of the seat.
I like the adjustable ventilation, in particular the fact that you can adjust it so it doesn’t over ventilate in cool autumn nights.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom