Noob tent question

Snowy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need a lightweight tent that packs down small for a 2 month trip and have my eyes on a MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2. They get amazing reviews and a couple of guys had something similar on an Iceland trip a couple of years ago and they looked really good.

What I can't get my head around though is that it's a tent where the inner has to go up first. Surely if the weather is bad then the inside of the tent will get soaked, especially as it has a mesh upper. That being the case, why do they get such good reviews?

Is it me? Am I missing something or is there an obvious design flaw here?

I welcome any views on an 'inner-first' tent.

I have a barely used cobra 2 I would part with if it's any use, very lightweight (2kg) and pitches as one with the fly. Mostly camp with the other half now so bought something bigger.

PM me if any use to you...

I have a Hillyberg Akto, expensive, but brilliant. But get the pitch inner first question. Tents that pitch inner first quite often have taut side walls, so you get all the space, as opposed to tents that pitch outer first with inner attached sometimes have less taut inner. But I have always gone with outer first, especially in Europe where it rains :)

Consider the MSR Hubba Tour 1 tent. Tent goes up in one go with the internal sleeping quarters already assembled inside. I have just christened mine at the Touratech event in Wales. Very pleased with it. We had no rain but I’m certain it would have managed it well.

Consider the MSR Hubba Tour 1 tent. Tent goes up in one go with the internal sleeping quarters already assembled inside. I have just christened mine at the Touratech event in Wales. Very pleased with it. We had no rain but I’m certain it would have managed it well.

Interestingly there are two reviews for this tent on Amazon, neither very good. Hopefully you will be able to test it in wet and windy conditions and find differently. Either way it would be good to hear.

I have a Hillyberg Akto, expensive, but brilliant. But get the pitch inner first question. Tents that pitch inner first quite often have taut side walls, so you get all the space, as opposed to tents that pitch outer first with inner attached sometimes have less taut inner. But I have always gone with outer first, especially in Europe where it rains :)

This tent has 5 reviews on Amazon, mostly very good although one person reported it has condensation issues. I’d be very disappointed if it did when it costs so much.

Interestingly there are two reviews for this tent on Amazon, neither very good. Hopefully you will be able to test it in wet and windy conditions and find differently. Either way it would be good to hear.

Steve, I've used my Akto many times and if I had condensation issues I would have dumped it. Trust me, its a great tent, they have been making the same model for years. But then again I used to just use a bivi bag, so my idea of luxury might be different :)

I'd go with a rated make first, regardless of inner or outer pitching. The inner first usually has a gap between inner and outer preventing condensation and leaking. MSR make great tents. Vango are good too. Thinking about it, I have camped loads, in various climates and seasons and have probably only pitched a tent in the rain or wind (real wind) about 2 or three times. You can always wait out the squall. If its an easy / good tent and you know what you are doing, it'll only take a few minutes to get a basic shell up anyway..

Steve, I've used my Akto many times and if I had condensation issues I would have dumped it. Trust me, its a great tent, they have been making the same model for years. But then again I used to just use a bivi bag, so my idea of luxury might be different :)

We have had cheap tents in the past and the next one I hope will be easy and quick to pitch and take down. Lightweight and compact are pre-requisites. I will need a new sleep mat and a few other bits.

Next time we have a few minutes perhaps we can discuss.

Vango Meteor 200 pitches outer 1st, has a porch, packs small enough to fit in a pannier. Up in 2 minutes.
Vango Nova is the Go Outdoors version and comes with a porch ground sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vango Meteor 200 pitches outer 1st, has a porch, packs small enough to fit in a pannier. Up in 2 minutes.
Vango Nova is the Go Outdoors version and comes with a porch ground sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 300 pro, and it is excellent

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts/advice. Back to the drawing board but the fog has lifted a little bit.

If you're off for 2 months consider a tent that go's up all in one.

The Hilleberg Akto was suggested above, I tried one for one wet night and found it far too small.
I've recently bought a Hilleberg Soulo which is much better...for me.

Taunton leisure are great suppliers as they price match, I got £150 off mine with a free footprint :beerjug:

I use an older Vaude Mark 2 Light I bought here, so when that dies, I'll have no hesitation to buy the newer version. The main advantage is that it's so easy to put up. It's also not too big or heavy either.

Ekosport have the Mark L 2P at £305 and you'll get another 10% off by using the code OUTDOOR. They may or may not be cheaper elsewhere but that was the first link I found.....tempted myself.

https://www.ekosport.co.uk/vaude-ma...QxVGkqcH_yLu_faDyioQQQgx2iIGo18BoCqbQQAvD_BwE

:thumby: I love my Akto too, at 1300g it sits easily in a dry bag with my sleeping bag and inflatable mat and a small tarp ... the whole lot sit on my rear carrier. Where it excels is in shit weather, both parts and the footprint pitch altogether, it's like an instant shelter. Open up the zip, bung in everything you want to keep dry, shut zip, insert the pole, a few pegs and it's done ... the tarp is used when I stay more than 1 night ... whilst lightweight travel like this is a huge investment, not having panniers on the bike is so liberating when riding off tarmac.

Attachments

• IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1230 (1).jpg
    IMG_1230 (1).jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 302
If you're off for 2 months consider a tent that go's up all in one.

The Hilleberg Akto was suggested above, I tried one for one wet night and found it far too small.
I've recently bought a Hilleberg Soulo which is much better...for me.

Taunton leisure are great suppliers as they price match, I got £150 off mine with a free footprint :beerjug:

I keep looking at the Soulo, but have never yet been quite pissed enough to hit the button … hovered a few times mind!

Although they do look a bit of a pain to put up in the wind with those clips?

I wouldn't sell the Akto as it's a classic …. but a bit too low for us over 6ft, and I have experienced pretty bad condensation if I don't unzip the vents both ends.

Worlds best and most versatile tent is The Hilleberg Nammatj - No question!

Although they do look a bit of a pain to put up in the wind with those clips?

Not at all, I've been using my Tarra a lot in Iceland over the last few years which also uses similar clips, it makes it much easier to put up in strong winds.
Ventilation is awesome on the Tarra, mainly due to the weatherproof big roof vent, plus a vestibule at each end which when cracked open (either inner or outer or both) lets a nice flow of air through.
I've yet to test the Soulo for condensation but again it has a roof vent so don't expect any issues.

I almost agree on the Nammatj and came close to getting a 2GT but when camping with my wife all the bike gear can go at one end out of the way in the Tarra and it doesn't matter if the wind direction changes.

I had a Nallo 2 then the 2GT but condensation was an issue with those.

I've also got a Kaitum 3GT which I've used in Iceland for a couple of trips with my wife then used it again last week, I'd almost forgotten how luxurious camping can be using that versatile tent!!

Kaitum 3GT
P1010349-XL.jpg

P1030537-XL.jpg

She won't let me sell it though :rolleyes:
P1020468-XL.jpg

buying 1 tent ...PAH , i have 4 ranging from £180 to £30 , i use the £60 tent the most .

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/voyager-tent/ sleeps 2 if close friends and less than 6'2'' , pitches inner first , i paid £180 nearly new. 1 man and all your clothes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-man-...725698?hash=item3d8a906c02:g:9jgAAOSwd89c1duN , not mine but the same, £60 tent , pitches as one , 1 man and a bit of gear , light, easy to pitch , no longer available new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYuevkzins8 my £30 tent , sleeps 2 easy and all your gear , pitches as one , new version out now , bit video is of my version .

tent threads almost as confusing as an oil thread .

Back
Top Bottom