Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob tent question

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    I have a Hillyberg Akto, expensive, but brilliant. But get the pitch inner first question. Tents that pitch inner first quite often have taut side walls, so you get all the space, as opposed to tents that pitch outer first with inner attached sometimes have less taut inner. But I have always gone with outer first, especially in Europe where it rains
    I love my Akto too, at 1300g it sits easily in a dry bag with my sleeping bag and inflatable mat and a small tarp ... the whole lot sit on my rear carrier. Where it excels is in shit weather, both parts and the footprint pitch altogether, it's like an instant shelter. Open up the zip, bung in everything you want to keep dry, shut zip, insert the pole, a few pegs and it's done ... the tarp is used when I stay more than 1 night ... whilst lightweight travel like this is a huge investment, not having panniers on the bike is so liberating when riding off tarmac.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    If you're off for 2 months consider a tent that go's up all in one.

The Hilleberg Akto was suggested above, I tried one for one wet night and found it far too small.
    I've recently bought a Hilleberg Soulo which is much better...for me.

Taunton leisure are great suppliers as they price match, I got £150 off mine with a free footprint
    I keep looking at the Soulo, but have never yet been quite pissed enough to hit the button … hovered a few times mind!

Although they do look a bit of a pain to put up in the wind with those clips?

I wouldn't sell the Akto as it's a classic …. but a bit too low for us over 6ft, and I have experienced pretty bad condensation if I don't unzip the vents both ends.

Worlds best and most versatile tent is The Hilleberg Nammatj - No question!

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post

Not at all, I've been using my Tarra a lot in Iceland over the last few years which also uses similar clips, it makes it much easier to put up in strong winds.
    Ventilation is awesome on the Tarra, mainly due to the weatherproof big roof vent, plus a vestibule at each end which when cracked open (either inner or outer or both) lets a nice flow of air through.
    I've yet to test the Soulo for condensation but again it has a roof vent so don't expect any issues.

I almost agree on the Nammatj and came close to getting a 2GT but when camping with my wife all the bike gear can go at one end out of the way in the Tarra and it doesn't matter if the wind direction changes.

I had a Nallo 2 then the 2GT but condensation was an issue with those.

I've also got a Kaitum 3GT which I've used in Iceland for a couple of trips with my wife then used it again last week, I'd almost forgotten how luxurious camping can be using that versatile tent!!

Kaitum 3GT

She won't let me sell it though
    KEA

he who knows nothing Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    buying 1 tent ...PAH , i have 4 ranging from £180 to £30 , i use the £60 tent the most .

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-a.../voyager-tent/ sleeps 2 if close friends and less than 6'2'' , pitches inner first , i paid £180 nearly new. 1 man and all your clothes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-man-t...gAAOSwd89c1duN , not mine but the same, £60 tent , pitches as one , 1 man and a bit of gear , light, easy to pitch , no longer available new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYuevkzins8 my £30 tent , sleeps 2 easy and all your gear , pitches as one , new version out now , bit video is of my version .

tent threads almost as confusing as an oil thread .

I keep looking at the Soulo, but have never yet been quite pissed enough to hit the button … hovered a few times mind!

I wouldn't sell the Akto as it's a classic …. but a bit too low for us over 6ft, and I have experienced pretty bad condensation if I don't unzip the vents both ends.

Worlds best and most versatile tent is The Hilleberg Nammatj - No question!
    Thats probably why I haven't experienced condensation in my Akto, I always have the vents open, I have read about people experiencing condensation, but I never have

I suffered from condensation in my MSR but it is hardly surprising really as the temperatures dropped to almost freezing overnight and I was toasty warm inside. No issues inside the sleeping compartment with the second skin but out in the vestibule first thing it was wet from condensation. Hardly surprising really as I was warm inside and it was very cold outside. with a single layer flysheet it is simple physics. I had vents open but no wind at all during the night. Dried off quickly as the sun rose.

Thats probably why I haven't experienced condensation in my Akto, I always have the vents open, I have read about people experiencing condensation, but I never have
    Perhaps you've never had a long shag on cold foggy night in one
    KEA

Not at all, I've been using my Tarra a lot in Iceland over the last few years which also uses similar clips, it makes it much easier to put up in strong winds.
    Ventilation is awesome on the Tarra, mainly due to the weatherproof big roof vent, plus a vestibule at each end which when cracked open (either inner or outer or both) lets a nice flow of air through.
    I've yet to test the Soulo for condensation but again it has a roof vent so don't expect any issues.

I almost agree on the Nammatj and came close to getting a 2GT but when camping with my wife all the bike gear can go at one end out of the way in the Tarra and it doesn't matter if the wind direction changes.
    A door both sides, and another 4" sleeping length would make the Nammatj perfect.
    Never had any condensation, even on the dampest, stillest November nights.

I will get a Soulo. Not this year, but it will happen!

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    buying 1 tent ...PAH , i have 4 ranging from £180 to £30 , i use the £60 tent the most .

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-a.../voyager-tent/ sleeps 2 if close friends and less than 6'2'' , pitches inner first , i paid £180 nearly new. 1 man and all your clothes.
    I bought a Terra Nova Voyager 10 years back from Uttings.
    When it came I found it just a bit too short, and exchanged it for the Superlite Voyager which is strangely longer, but still only 205cm sleeping length.
    Cracking tent which I still own, but went out of favour trying to get the flysheet over the inner on a very windy Hebridean beach.

I think you have to be realistic about breathability in a small 4 season tent that goes right down to the ground, and has a solid material inner.
    A yellow Hubba Bubba designed in Cailfornia for desert use it is not!

Perhaps you've never had a long shag on cold foggy night in one
    I guess you were shagging your damp glove!! there ain't enough height or width for 2 people

A door both sides, and another 4" sleeping length would make the Nammatj perfect.
    My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Whele View Post
    I guess you were shagging your damp glove!! there ain't enough height or width for 2 people
    Ah erm rumbled
    KEA

Thanks all for your sage-like advice, it has been really helpful. I don't think I'll be looking at an inner-first tent anymore, plus you've given me some good options to have a look at. Thanks....

This... Crazy amount of space, very fast to get to work, very light very simple, very good quality and not overly expensive.

https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/s...WF126-139.html

stop fecking about, vango force 10. It is the best expedition tent ever made, and they have been making them for over 50 years. Easy to put up and take down, easy to carry and light weight

https://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/va...BoC7OcQAvD_BwE
    ''Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men''

www.thektmforum.com for all your ktm needs

Quote Originally Posted by bowser View Post
    stop fecking about, vango force 10. It is the best expedition tent ever made, and they have been making them for over 50 years. Easy to put up and take down, easy to carry and light weight

https://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/va...BoC7OcQAvD_BwE
    It’s hardly lightweight 8.2 kgs compared with the Hilleberg Akto at 1.7 kgs, however it is larger and cheaper.
    Edited because I cannot type

Quote Originally Posted by ymfb View Post
    It’s hardly lightweight 8.2 kgs compared with the Hilleberg Akto at 1.7 kgs, however it is larger and cheaper.
    at 6'5" and 20 stone I consider 8.2 kgs light weight, and on a gs with the rest of the luggage its not even relevant to me, but I get your point. I have a tepi tent and that is more than that in weight with ground sheet etc so I suppose is depends on your start point :-)
    ''Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men''

www.thektmforum.com for all your ktm needs

Quote Originally Posted by bowser View Post
    at 6'5" and 20 stone I consider 8.2 kgs light weight, and on a gs with the rest of the luggage its not even relevant to me, but I get your point. I have a tepi tent and that is more than that in weight with ground sheet etc so I suppose is depends on your start point :-)
    Akto might be a bit too snug for you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast